Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Expedition Modded Jeeps - Let's see 'em!!

Old 02-04-2012, 01:49 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In an effort to keep the weight down I am planning to install a winch in my stock front bumper. I have seen a few on this forum but have not found a write-up. Can someone point me in the right direction with a link??

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default maps & yakima

The OOHVA maps, Delorne Gazeteer, and the Benchmark maps are regular paper maps. Living in OR or WA they should be mandatory equipment in anyone's Jeep/Rover glove box.

For the GPS, I use original MapSource as the operating system on my lap top. However, I am also using BaseCamp as the operating software too (because it is supposed to be the successor / next generation to mapsource).
The map software to buy is their 24k Topo for western states (OR/WA).

You will find every tiny trail, path, listed and unlisted. You shouldn't ever get lost with that installed.

As for the Yakima towers, they are attached to the slide rail system. I had them (the rails) fabbed up a bit so they have a pretty beefy 1/4in thick, 42" x 2" iron rail underneath, on the inside of the hard top. They are very sturdy and stable but I only use them to hold lighter items in weather/water proof rain bage from Seattle Sport. I originally bought the bags for use in my drift boat. But, they work great for tent, sleeping bag & laundry. You may notince that I have the ski holder mounts attached to the cross poles. I have it set up to actually hold flyrods (15' spey rod, and 4 or 5 regular 4-6wt trout rods) because the JK jeep isn't big enough like a full SUV or pickup to lay rods in. Keeps them fully rigged and safe/out of the way.
The rack is also strong enough to hold 2 mountain bikes if I have them attached. I can easily mount a large congo/cargo rack to the towers for more storage but nothing more than 20-30 pounds should go up there the way I have it. I would certainly not put a sleeper tent or tire up there. I'm sure you could probably get away with it, for a while. Until things just gave way, damaging expensive plastics and losing gear and making just a shi%^ty time of it!
Now that is not the goal of overland, is it!?!?

from the booty:

If it's a longer load like ladders, 2x4's, projects which require a trip to Lowes, I just snap the slider bracket up to the front peice on the freedom top. Again, for safety, just lighter stuff goes up there.

Last edited by RescueGreen#3; 02-04-2012 at 04:21 PM.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by RescueGreen#3
The OOHVA maps, Delorne Gazeteer, and the Benchmark maps are regular paper maps. Living in OR or WA they should be mandatory equipment in anyone's Jeep/Rover glove box.

For the GPS, I use original MapSource as the operating system on my lap top. However, I am also using BaseCamp as the operating software too (because it is supposed to be the successor / next generation to mapsource).
The map software to buy is their 24k Topo for western states (OR/WA).

You will find every tiny trail, path, listed and unlisted. You shouldn't ever get lost with that installed.
Thanks much! Actually it's a good idea to have the paper maps also. :-)

The Garmin topo Mapsource I have is the Topo US 2008. For what I read, and the Garmin tech support folks confirmed, it does not provide real-time positioning. It's just for managing the maps on the portable units (in my case the Vista).

What Topo Metroguide are you referring to? Does it work with your laptop's embedded GPS?

Does Basecamp work with the laptop's GPS?

My plan is attaching my UMPC or tablet to the Vector e-dock in my Jeep and use the topo software to show where I am in real time.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:33 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Sahara_Maverick

Not sure about the Yakima but the Thule are very tough. Have been using those for years.
Are they durable enough to haul what I want to haul?
Old 02-04-2012, 11:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Taylor4x4
Originally Posted by Taylor4x4
Good question. What is it exactly that you want to haul?

My system above carries (guesstimating) anywhere between 7 to 22lbs max. Ever!
Again, it could certainly hold more up to 30lbs, at least for a while. But, after four days of bouncing, slamming, sleeping, throwing, shoving etc, I'm certain that it would eventually lead to roof failure.

But, this is overcome if you use the MSRB style under gussets. But for me, I don't need to sleep on the top/store a tire etc. i just just need the functional space for lighter/odd items.

Last edited by RescueGreen#3; 02-05-2012 at 07:15 AM.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:27 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by RescueGreen#3

Nice looking rig.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:48 AM
JK Junkie

@ Mark .... so when ever you are read you are ready to do Big Bend you a fellow JK'er ready and willing to go. I was going to do Big Bend this year but decided to hit up Colorado instead
Old 02-05-2012, 10:12 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by TexasTj
No Colorado and Wyoming, The first two are from Mex
Oh ok....that makes sense. That middle pic is absolutely gorgeous.....should be a Jeep advertisement....
Old 02-05-2012, 10:35 AM
JK Freak

X-2 on minimizing the weight on the roof, I have the same setup with Yakima rails - I'm looking for a basket that will essentially sit between the rails so the majority of any load sits on the roof, not the towers.

A canoe or bikes are not an issue on paved roads. If I'm transporting a canoe off pavement, it will be sitting on the rails but anchored to the jeep. The straps needs to take most of the lateral loads as opposed to the towers and the dozen or so bolts that hold the rail to the roof.

Just as important is keeping the center of gravity low. A high center of gravity will cause body lean both on and off road. The closer to the frame you keep the center of gravity, the less likely you will roll it.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:30 PM
JK Newbie

Any 2 dr JK's out there running a RTT? I would like to but I am hearing there are issues with the center of gravity on a 2 dr.

Any help would be great!

Thanks

Quick Reply: Expedition Modded Jeeps - Let's see 'em!!