Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Hemi Hype

Old 02-24-2009, 12:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thissideup
Call me a purist but I feel Mopars should have mopar motors and chevy's should have chevy motors. It just feels wrong to do otherwise. That’s like putting a 327 in a 68 Charger and a Hemi in a 68 Camaro....Chocolate sauce on a dill pickle But what ever cranks your tractor
Funny you should mention this. I've always been the type that is constantly trying to build a better mouse trap. And being on a limited budget, I always scrounged parts from anywhere I could find them to keep my junk running. When I used to drag race, I ran a 1966 Chevy II SS with a Mopar 440, hemi four speed and a Dana 60 with a 4.56 gear. I ran in a 9.90 bracket but once had a 8.98 break-out run.

Until Chrysler bought the Jeep brand, AMC, Kaiser, and Willys always used a mix and match of components to build jeeps. My 81 scrambler had a FoMoCo (Ford) ignition system with with an AC Delco (GM) alternator, and a AMC 258 engine until I did a V-8 swap.

But yes, being an old school shade tree mech. I don't understand the new technology of how everything works together from one computer brain. I probably should have bought the extended warranty w/ my jk.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Camp Crocker
Very impressive. A long ways from my little Go Devil L head I had in my cj2a and my F head in my old cj3b.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:51 PM
JK Junkie

IMHO most of the computer crap is a result of treehuggers and politicians. It seems nowadays everything has to be run by a comp so a little gas vapor doesn't leak out and melt the polar ice caps or we have to have traction control/ABS/ESP so someone doesnt smear themselves on the side of the road or along a rock somewhere.

BTW, when I hear "Hemi" I don't think of Jeep but this...
Old 02-24-2009, 12:53 PM
dsy
JK Freak

Originally Posted by AK Jeeper
Funny you should mention this. I've always been the type that is constantly trying to build a better mouse trap. And being on a limited budget, I always scrounged parts from anywhere I could find them to keep my junk running. When I used to drag race, I ran a 1966 Chevy II SS with a Mopar 440, hemi four speed and a Dana 60 with a 4.56 gear. I ran in a 9.90 bracket but once had a 8.98 break-out run.

Until Chrysler bought the Jeep brand, AMC, Kaiser, and Willys always used a mix and match of components to build jeeps. My 81 scrambler had a FoMoCo (Ford) ignition system with with an AC Delco (GM) alternator, and a AMC 258 engine until I did a V-8 swap.

But yes, being an old school shade tree mech. I don't understand the new technology of how everything works together from one computer brain. I probably should have bought the extended warranty w/ my jk.
I'd say if you think you can build a better mouse trap go for it and post up your results. I'm sure many would love to see another option. That said, the hemi swap has been proven to work and look like it came from the factory, not something cobbled together from here and there.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by falconfixer333
IMHO most of the computer crap is a result of treehuggers and politicians. It seems nowadays everything has to be run by a comp so a little gas vapor doesn't leak out and melt the polar ice caps or we have to have traction control/ABS/ESP so someone doesnt smear themselves on the side of the road or along a rock somewhere.

BTW, when I hear "Hemi" I don't think of Jeep but this...
When I think hemi I think this:

Old 02-24-2009, 03:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pigeonfarmboy
The AEV kit alone is $5250, so a junkyard is going to let you walk out with a hemi & transmission for less than $4800? (if you can even find them in the first place)
Well if you would like to contact member "dsy" personally, I'm sure he'd be more than happy to tell you the same thing. He did the entire thing by himself and kept the cost to $10,000.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by AK Jeeper
When I think hemi I think this:

X2! Right on!

I really wonder who all really understands what CANBUS is all about.

As to what we can or cannot run it will all be a mute point in a couple years. Financially the country will be so upside down that there will be no one to enforce all the crazy green crap and we'll be running around like Mad Max.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:52 PM
dsy
JK Freak

Originally Posted by pigeonfarmboy
I think people's money is better spent on other parts before even considering a Hemi swap.
What one considers a better mod is really up to the individual and how they plan to use their rig. To me the hemi was at the top of the list because I wanted something that would perform good as a daily driver and also be able to haul my wife, myself our pup and off-road camping trailer with enough gear for 3 to 4 week trips across country, follow what ever trails I may find on my topo maps and get us back home. I want something to get me where I want to go. Not to be out pushing the envelope to try and find the point of failure of all the different components. If I wanted to build a rock crawler my mods would be very different and probably not include a V8.

Last edited by dsy; 02-24-2009 at 05:35 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have owned my first Jeep since July, 2007

Somehow I decided to change one thing and now who knows $10,000 later I changed a lot of things now I want the Hemi - I owe it to my Jeep

You are right it is simply a "want" I think the 3.8 is just fine even with 37"s

I have been calling and emailing, I just wished one of these bigger shops like Burnsville, SLC, and Camp weren't so far away from South Carolina

So I'll be making the big decision soon maybe in a month
Old 02-24-2009, 06:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nlgrav182
Well if you would like to contact member "dsy" personally, I'm sure he'd be more than happy to tell you the same thing. He did the entire thing by himself and kept the cost to $10,000.
That's badass However, I must say. Unless you are a mechanic, retired, or a retired mechanic (hehe.) Doing all the work to stay under 10k is NOT PRACTICAL. I have done tons of work on my JEEP and Cobra, even body work. But it is called opportunity cost, what would you have been doing during all those hours? Although the price is steep, odds are if you make even 50k-plus spend that extra time working more to pay someone. 10 grand is crazy though, only would pay that if my NET WORTH was over 5 million.

Quick Reply: Hemi Hype