Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Hemi Hype

Old 02-24-2009, 09:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hemi Hype

Not trying to put the hemi down and all of you that have done the conversion I give you props, but I don't get it. Yes, I know we live in a society where our wants out weigh our needs and the Hemi is the creme de la creme of the race world, but in a jeep? I think dollar for dollar and hp for hp, the money would be better spent on a small block chevy. I think the conversion would be much easier and a whole lot less money. Am I missing the bigger picture?
Old 02-24-2009, 09:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yes, you are missing the picture. I'm sure everyone on this board would prefer a small block Chevy or an LS1 or some other really nice engine with tons of aftermarket support. However, we drive Jeeps that are so crippled by computers and CANBUS the HEMI is the only option if you want everything to work as it does from the factory. The 330 HP isn't bad either.

A lot of people are keeping the conversion costs to less than $10,000 by doing their own work and scouring yards for drivetrains. After the AEV kit, which is $5200, keeping drivetrain costs, additional parts, and labor to less than $4800 is remarkable.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Not to mention, a lot of states have new restrictions that say what type and make of motor you can swap into your vehicle now. Some states say that you can only swap a motor that is from the same make of vehicle and no older than the vehicle you're putting it into. So that kinda limits your choices in an 07 or newer Jeep. Hemi is the natural choice. Plus, you can now say "Yeah, it's got a Hemi..." Sounds better than "Yeah, it's got a monster of a 3.8 L under there... almost 100 squirrels worth of power..."
Old 02-24-2009, 09:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm still not convinced. Don't get me wrong, I love hemi race cars but when it come to fit, form and function for a jeep, I think the sb chev would be a better choice. Does anyone make a conversion kit for a chevy engine in the jk. I've had sb chevys in several cj's that were all out trail rigs. Never bought a kit, just the adapters, so lots of backyard fab work involved. BTW I agree with you about the computers. What components wouldn't work as it does from the factory.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Search function?

Simply put the Hemi is the swap to do because:
1) Most states require that any engine swap in a newer vehicle be available in that year (or newer), by that manufacturer. IE: Must be a chrysler/dodge engine 2006/7 and up.
2) The computer controls everything, therefore it's just easier to do a chrysler/dodge swap.
3) The readily available parts are there for Hemi swaps. Nobody makes a kit for a SB or BB chevy swap. This sadly isn't like an older muscle car where you can just yank out what was in there, bolt up whatever you want and go.

Off Road Evolution has done a big block swap (straight to ridiculous) and the owner of that Jeep has posted here before. I'm sure he doesn't want to divulge what he paid, but feel free to ask what he thinks would cost more, a hemi or a big block.
His ride is also not going to pass inspection anywhere that has inspections, it's trail only (what a shame really as it's an awesome vehicle).

Number 1 above is the main reason though. If you can find someone to get you the electronics to make a small or big block work, go for it. You'll most likely find out it wasn't any cheaper (and most likely more expensive) than a hemi swap and you now have a killer Jeep that you cannot legally drive on the street.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:53 AM
JK Super Freak

None of it would work correctly without the canbus system. I doubt you could even use the same fuel pump, as I'm sure it is computer controlled as well. So, all gauges, all warning lights, the headlights themselves, the blinkers, all of it is Canbus. Sure, if you want to rewire all those things, you could make an LS1 work.
There's plenty of aftermarket support for the Hemi. Maybe not as much as with the SB, but enough to get you by.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would like a small V8 from a jeep vehical and the ability to keep my 6 speed. I dont all that horsepower, most of my trail riding is at 5 mph.

Trending Topics

Old 02-24-2009, 10:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nlgrav182
A lot of people are keeping the conversion costs to less than $10,000 by doing their own work and scouring yards for drivetrains. After the AEV kit, which is $5200, keeping drivetrain costs, additional parts, and labor to less than $4800 is remarkable.
The AEV kit alone is $5250, so a junkyard is going to let you walk out with a hemi & transmission for less than $4800? (if you can even find them in the first place)

The main reason I'll probably never do the swap is a simple cost factor. People don't even factor how much those new AXLES are going to cost after they realize the "D44"s don't hold up to even the 3.8L.

Where I stand right now it would be:
$20,000 Hemi Swap
$10,000 Solid D60s
$4,000 Wheels/Rubber
(And then a re-gearing if I went with bigger tires)

I've already spent more than what I paid for the vehicle in aftermarket parts. I've driven my fully-armored-heavy-ass JK to the mecca locations and gotten there just fine with the 3.8. For me, I think people's money is better spent on other parts before even considering a Hemi swap.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Call me a purist but I feel Mopars should have mopar motors and chevy's should have chevy motors. It just feels wrong to do otherwise. That’s like putting a 327 in a 68 Charger and a Hemi in a 68 Camaro....Chocolate sauce on a dill pickle But what ever cranks your tractor
Old 02-24-2009, 11:22 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by thissideup
Chocolate sauce on a dill pickle ...

Quick Reply: Hemi Hype