Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Hemi Hype

Old 02-24-2009, 06:43 PM
dsy
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 07armygreen
That's badass However, I must say. Unless you are a mechanic, retired, or a retired mechanic (hehe.) Doing all the work to stay under 10k is NOT PRACTICAL. I have done tons of work on my JEEP and Cobra, even body work. But it is called opportunity cost, what would you have been doing during all those hours? Although the price is steep, odds are if you make even 50k-plus spend that extra time working more to pay someone. 10 grand is crazy though, only would pay that if my NET WORTH was over 5 million.
I don't understand all the negative hemi swap talk. To each their own. Just to clear things up I am not, or have ever been a mechanic. I suppose I am mechanically inclined though. NOT PRACTICAL, opportunity cost? Yea I missed a few episodes of Seinfeld while doing something that I got a lot of enjoyment and satisfaction from. Crazy cost? Yep 10 grand is steep but its not 20, and since I plan on keeping my toy for many years, 10 over the life of the vehicle really is not that bad considering the pleasure I get driving it and knowing that I made it happen myself.
Actually if I had all kinds of extra cash laying around I probably would have tried to do it myself anyway for the above reasons.

Last edited by dsy; 02-24-2009 at 06:59 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:55 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the JK chasis strong enough to handle that much power from these big blocks.

Over here we run nissan GQ comp trucks with LS engines producing 250KW at the the rear wheels but they do quite a lot of work on their truck chasis
Old 02-24-2009, 07:08 PM
dsy
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Zak
Is the JK chasis strong enough to handle that much power from these big blocks.
I would think it depends on whats behind the wheel. Anything can be broken if you try hard enough.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Not trying to be negative. Just pointing out that people easily look past all the strength components behind a strong motor swap. I'm with you 100% on the daily driver aspect. I hate trailer queens and always want my JK to take me home when I'm done playing.

Many people are having issues with stock drivelines and axles using the 3.8. Sure go ahead and hemi-swap you're already fragile crap, but like I said, it's a good idea to at least understand the other things you'll need to go along with the extra power.

If you're only going to drive it on the street or easy trails, this of course doesn't apply to you......though I don't know why you bought a Wrangler.....
Old 02-24-2009, 07:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by DLH
THE CHEVY/GM MOTOR SWAP IS NOT POSSIBLE INTO A JK........PERIOD!!!!!! Its never been done and never will be!!
What? Jeep guys have been putting Chevy motors in Jeeps for years. I don't want to be too harsh on the new guy but..It has been done on a JK. It will be done again. It is just not practical for the reasons listed in this thread. (State laws for the street, computer capatability, swap out market support...)Start at the begining and read the posts.

Last edited by Geeper4x4; 02-24-2009 at 07:59 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dsy
I don't understand all the negative hemi swap talk. To each their own. Just to clear things up I am not, or have ever been a mechanic. I suppose I am mechanically inclined though. NOT PRACTICAL, opportunity cost? Yea I missed a few episodes of Seinfeld while doing something that I got a lot of enjoyment and satisfaction from. Crazy cost? Yep 10 grand is steep but its not 20, and since I plan on keeping my toy for many years, 10 over the life of the vehicle really is not that bad considering the pleasure I get driving it and knowing that I made it happen myself.
Actually if I had all kinds of extra cash laying around I probably would have tried to do it myself anyway for the above reasons.
DSY, I'm not negative on hemi swaps, I was just wondering, maybe through my naieveity, why all the sudden with the advent of the JK, the engine swap of choice went from a low cost, widely available and hugely aftermarket supported chevy sb to a very expensive hemi in such a small vehicle.

BTW we are of a kindred spirit. Even if I had millions of $$$, I still would chose to do the work myself. I was always the kid that took apart brand new toys just to see how they worked.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:59 PM
JK Super Freak

I agree with if it was able to be done and 50 state legal i woulda gone small block
350...hands down...for several reasons such as cost and aftermarket friendliness
....but i need mine to be street legal...barely....but street legal none the

less. Inspection laws are in place that state the engine swapped into the vehicle
must be of the same manufacturer and of the same year model or newer.

To those stating that the "Chevy swap can't be done and won't"....your an idiot,
it's already been done...and I don't doubt at all that will be done again and
better. I dropped $19,000+ in engine and tranny (if i could have physically done
it myself I would have)...and that hurts...especially when seeing my dad drop less
than $4,000 on his YJ for a VERY nice tricked out 350 w/ the 700r4 tranny.

All said and done it's up to the owner to which direction they'd wish to
take...nothing is cheap....but for hp comparisons, and after riding in a 2door Jeep
with both types of engines...they are pretty damn close in performance. As far
as cost goes, well as many on this forum know I AM THE LAST TO GET THE
OPINION ON THAT....all said and done I'll have $80,000+ invested...but it's worth
every penny TO ME.

BTW check out the pix of my dad's engine we're about to put in his YJ

Old 02-24-2009, 10:36 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by DLH
THE CHEVY/GM MOTOR SWAP IS NOT POSSIBLE INTO A JK........PERIOD!!!!!! Its never been done and never will be!!
Have you been huffing paint? Try the search utility.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:18 AM
dsy
JK Freak

Originally Posted by pigeonfarmboy
Not trying to be negative. Just pointing out that people easily look past all the strength components behind a strong motor swap. I'm with you 100% on the daily driver aspect. I hate trailer queens and always want my JK to take me home when I'm done playing.

Many people are having issues with stock drivelines and axles using the 3.8. Sure go ahead and hemi-swap you're already fragile crap, but like I said, it's a good idea to at least understand the other things you'll need to go along with the extra power.

If you're only going to drive it on the street or easy trails, this of course doesn't apply to you......though I don't know why you bought a Wrangler.....
No I agree totally about the need to beef up the rest of the system with or without the V8. And am not saying anyone is silly for wanting their rig to be tank tough. Unfortunately my pockets are not that deep to be able to do everything I want at once. My jeep is my daily driver also so performance is where I started and will build around that as the budget (wife) allows, or as something breaks it will be upgrade time. Underbelly armor I'm working on fabbing up myself now since most everything out there is geared to the stock 3.8 setup

Originally Posted by AK Jeeper
Even if I had millions of $$$, I still would chose to do the work myself. I was always the kid that took apart brand new toys just to see how they worked.
X2 Used to drive my folks crazy. Now anything needs tweaked and they are calling me.

Last edited by dsy; 02-25-2009 at 02:54 AM.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by DLH
lol Not to pile on but...
Congratulations on the flaming your first post that's not related to you trying to unload some parts onto the forum got. Apparently in addition to not knowing what you're talking about you didn't read other people's posts, like mine where I pointed out an example of who has done a Chevy/GM motor swap. Mayabe I shouldn't have refered to it as a big block, maybe that threw you off. lol
So, in the event that was too much to read try this:
Click below GM MOTOR in Jeep JK: http://www.offroadevolution.com/proj...p?g2_itemId=15

Quick Reply: Hemi Hype