Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Painted Rims

Old 01-31-2009, 08:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painted Rims

Worked on these part of the day... got 3 more to do, but wanted to share the progress.

Used Dupli-Color Bed Liner... about a can per wheel

Old 01-31-2009, 08:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

They were a taller can, but maybe i didnt use a full can but about 4/5 of one (once it got low it started to splatter and i couldnt get an even coat).

I did 3 on the back and 4 on the front. However, now that i know what i am doing i may end up using a little less on the others.

As far as durability... i can't say yet. There is someone in our local club that has done his and gone wheeling several times over the last 6+ months and it seems to be holding up rather well. This is just a temp. fix to my need for new rims though. Can't afford new ones so this $60.00 in paint and materials will have to do
Old 01-31-2009, 08:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Haha, almost exactly what happend.
Old 01-31-2009, 09:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Looks good I think I am going to do that to mine too. The chrome looks out of place on my jeep I think.

How did you prep the wheels? did you scuff them up at all or just clean them with some alcohol first?

Did you plug the holes so that the lugs would fit through again? or does the paint not interfere with that?

Cheers
Old 01-31-2009, 09:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

The prep work wasn't that hard (at least for what i did).

I bought some simple green, 100grit sand paper, and a scrub brush.

First i soaked them with the SG and scrubbed them down, then wiped off with a towel soaked in some dish soap (to help get the grease off) then rinsed. After letting them dry for 10-15 minutes i sanded them down. Just enough to remove most of the paint/coat that they have on them from the factory.

Then I sprayed & wiped them down again to remove the dust and rinsed again. I then let them dry some more and flopped them around to knock out any excess water from the nooks between the wheel and the tire and the air stem.

Let them try even longer then maked them off with masking tape (at least out to the wrangler lettering).

Then, just with light coats started painting them. First coat looks like crap, second one great, 3rd even better, and the 4th real light to give it the textured look. The heavier you spray the more smooth it seems.

All in all, it took about 3 hours for 2 tires. However, had i had jack stands i could have done all 5 in about 4 hours. Most of the time is spent waiting between paint coats.

So, if you can have all 5 off at once, you can just roate the coats. By the time you get done spraying the last wheel with paint put another coat on the first about 15 minutes later.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:55 AM
JK Jedi

Looks good!
Old 02-01-2009, 03:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Looks nice dude. Took courage to do that, but they do look really nice.
Old 02-01-2009, 04:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Painted mine with rattle cans of black Rustoleum. 2 per wheel. Total cost about $12.00.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	PC220021.jpg
Views:	586
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	18589   Click image for larger version

Name:	PB230004.jpg
Views:	501
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	18590  
Old 02-01-2009, 07:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by britjk
Painted mine with rattle cans of black Rustoleum. 2 per wheel. Total cost about $12.00.
That looks good too. How has it been holding up?

So on a side note, has anyone painted their calipers?
Old 02-01-2009, 03:27 PM
JK Freak

I like this a lot as I can't afford new wheels right now. I may be doing this come the weekend

Quick Reply: Painted Rims