Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Stolen jeep chula vista

Old 03-17-2014, 04:58 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow! Crazy story hope you get it back!
Old 03-17-2014, 05:07 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

People that live in cali should not be surprised, this is common over there.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
This is scary for me. I go to CV frequently to visit my folks (they live on Cuyamaca off L). I do worry that with my extensive mods my Jeep might be the target of some thieves looking to run drugs across the border (the BP always thinks that's what I'm up to when I drive Highway 98 into town, LOL).

BTW: I'm a grad of Castle Park--class of 67. You?
I grad on 06 I’m only 25 years old thats why I’m so mad took me for ever to save for my jeep and for the little mods that it had
Old 03-17-2014, 08:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Trey R
How were they able to steal it? They obviously didn't rekey it after the fact.
I don’t know how they stole it but they did it in less than 5 minutes, because I got home around 11pm and when I checked the toll road they told me that my jeep exit into mexico around 1120 pm
Old 03-17-2014, 08:25 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by fercho

I don’t know how they stole it but they did it in less than 5 minutes, because I got home around 11pm and when I checked the toll road they told me that my jeep exit into mexico around 1120 pm
Wow, that is fast. Do you have remote start?
Old 03-17-2014, 08:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

hey guys this is not a common stolen problem, the guys who stole my jeep were very professionals, they changed the vin number, it matches with hood and doors and according to the new vin the car was purchased legally in Mexico, they even imported it but now is a 2008. I have a friend that works as a federal police officer in Mexico and he told me that my jeep was stolen by a very powerful gang and according to his system and record the jeep is now legally own by a Mexican guy and theres nothing I can do.

now the fun part, when I saw my jeep parked at the mall I knew it was my jeep because obviously i did the mods that my jeep had. I called the police right away, in less that one minute the street was full with cops, at least 5 cop cars came, when I explained them what was happened to my jeep they proceed with the investigation, they look for the vin, hood and license plates, and according to the record they told me that the jeep was legally a mexican jeep and has no report of stolen vehicle, I even showed them the stolen report case number but they told me that my jeep was a totally different vehicle, with different plates number, year and vin number. They told me that jeeps are the most common cars and that I was confused, they accused me of making a false report and left.

I went to my house and got the keys and once again called the police buy now 2 friendly cops came, including the supervisor. I was able to prove that it was my stolen jeep base on descriptions and personal belongings. The supervisor was very interested on working in my case because he told me that this was the first time that he has seen a work done so professionally.

I will keep you guys inform and please be safe and lock your jeeps.
(sorry for the bad English, is not my first language...
Old 03-17-2014, 08:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

I pulled out my tail lights and the last part of my vin was printed on a sticker on the back of the tail light, maybe yours has that?

I wonder if the computer in the jeep has any info, if so, they May have changed that too.
What a mess, I feel bad for you and hope you get this resolved.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:12 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by fercho
... (sorry for the bad English, is not my first language...
Your English is fine. Sorry for being a nag, but do you have remote start? I'm wondering because there has been a crime wave of vehicles with remote door unlock being broken into by some magical device that the authorities have been unable to pin down (or at least claim that they haven't been able to). I'm wondering if Jeeps with remote start are vulnerable to this--20 minutes is awful fast for them to have gotten to the border. Either they had a duplicate key, or something magical for the break-in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wZNSA1Re3Q
Old 03-17-2014, 09:15 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

BTW: Where is your Jeep now? Did the police impound it? I hope so!
Old 03-17-2014, 09:16 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

According to the service manual, the VIN is also stamped on the frame rail. It doesn't say where on the rail, though.

Quick Reply: Stolen jeep chula vista