Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Viair Install

Old 07-02-2011, 06:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Viair Install

Seems like I have been working on this for a long time, but today finally installed the compressor and ran the wires/tubing! The build started with a kit I bought here on the forum (Viair Constant Duty On Board Air System #10007) that was never installed. I immediately bought the Dominion Offroad compressor and tank brackets, thinking I was home free.

The compressor bracket worked out fine, but I came to find out that the tank brackets were for the 2 gallon tank, not the 2.5 gallon tank that came with the kit. Instead of working around the tank for attachments, I decided to make a bracket that would hold a manifold that would distribute air to where I needed it. I used a 2" wide piece of aluminum from Home Depot and attached it to the DO compressor bracket.

This was all done in my kitchen, since I don't have a garage I got the manifold block from Amazon, as well as the gauge. The misc fittings all came from Home Depot. In retrospect, I should have taken the assembly downstairs for some dry fittings so that I could get a better perspective on the installed components. It worked out OK, but probably would have saved some time moving things around.

The install went pretty well, and only had to remove the assembly once (that is good for me!). Reason for removal: forgot to attach the air intake line before installing. The tube is too stiff to try to get it in there when installed.

The rest of the engine compartment went pretty smooth. Ran the fused line directly to the battery, and ran the gauge tube, switched power, and air intake into the cab via the unused clutch cable opening. I was thankful for such an easy access for all that stuff!

I have not finished the inside install, as I was planning on using the RR A-Pillar pod, but since I have a 2011, nothing fits as it should, and I had to think about Plan B. Will probably drill out the OE A-Pillar, but looking for a gauge that will fit. However, everything in the cab is ready to go.

I am working on adapting the DO tank brackets to mount to the rollbar in the back, but until I get that put together, I will run the compressor without the tank. Planning on running a line from the manifold to the tank in the rear, then running a line from the tank to the tailgate.

Happy to finally get it out of the kitchen and into the Jeep! Closing out with a poseur pic because I washed her after I finished the install

Last edited by Nomadr; 07-02-2011 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Posted larger pics
Old 07-02-2011, 11:35 PM
JK Freak

Man that set up looks good! Cant wait to see it finished cause Im definitely getting this kit when the time comes!
Old 07-03-2011, 12:27 AM
JK Freak

Clean install, looks great!!!
Old 07-03-2011, 09:52 AM
JK Freak

Great install and great thread. Keep us updated on your progress. I'm interested in doing the same thing. Awesome looking ride btw.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:59 AM
JK Jedi

Great job guy....you've got skills...!!!

Oh and your rig looks great too.......love the wheels...!!!
Old 07-03-2011, 10:28 AM
JK Jedi

clean install , looks good
Old 07-05-2019, 04:13 PM
JK Newbie

Do you have a pic looking over it from the top. Trying to get ideas to build my manifold.
Old 07-06-2019, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

The manifolds vary. I think mine has an extra port than what's shown so I plugged one off, left one for air tools, ran a line to the tank, another to an aux hookup, one is for tank pressure (to switch it on/ off), and I think there were two gauges- one under the hood and one in the cab. What exactly are you looking for out of a picture?
Old 07-12-2019, 07:51 AM
JK Newbie

Hello,
I recently did the same setup but my air compressor would come on then off then on again. I have my on/off switch connected to my rocker switch.
Think of any reason why the compressor doing this?
Old 07-12-2019, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

There should be a pressure switch that will tell the compressor to come on after you've given it permission to come on (via your switch). Do you have a tank hooked up?

Quick Reply: Viair Install