Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Viair Install

Old 09-21-2019, 08:53 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How’s your compressor holding up under the hood? I’ve been thinking about installing my viair compressor under the hood but was worried about to much heat from the engine. I’d love to get it out of the portable case and free up some space in the cargo area.
Old 09-22-2019, 02:05 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

The compressor is fine under the hood. The biggest thing is just ensure it stays cool. I bought 5 35" tires and was airing them up from zero on a hot day with the hood closed. As you'd expect, the tank rarely got a chance to fill and so the compressor was running constantly. Then it stopped. Wouldn't turn back on so I called it a night. Out turned right on tree next morning, after it had cooled down. I've since used it for airing up after wheeling (set of 33's and 35's, both from 16 to 34 and didn't have any issues. I'm finding myself using it about once a month. It would be nice to mount a fan up there to cool it off but I only had that issue one time.

I'm unsure why the font size changed halfway through.
Old 09-22-2019, 06:35 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
The compressor is fine under the hood. The biggest thing is just ensure it stays cool. I bought 5 35" tires and was airing them up from zero on a hot day with the hood closed. As you'd expect, the tank rarely got a chance to fill and so the compressor was running constantly. Then it stopped. Wouldn't turn back on so I called it a night. Out turned right on tree next morning, after it had cooled down. I've since used it for airing up after wheeling (set of 33's and 35's, both from 16 to 34 and didn't have any issues. I'm finding myself using it about once a month. It would be nice to mount a fan up there to cool it off but I only had that issue one time.

I'm unsure why the font size changed halfway through.
I thought you started yelling at me half way through the post hahahaha! Im usaully airing down in the winter months a greater psi than in the summer which is just a few psi to make it a little softer of a ride. also this was all done on my stick 31'' tires. now ill be filling 35'' tires. I have been collecting parts for dual tire fill up. I want to fill up two tires at a time.
Old 09-22-2019, 07:05 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

We've got a member who says he can fill 2 37" tires in less time than most can fill a single tire. The other piece of the equation that people don't factor into the "I'm filling up tires" math is the size of wheels. A 17x7.5" requires less air than the 17x8.5" wheel. It doesn't seem like much but it adds up.
Old 09-22-2019, 07:30 AM
JK Newbie

We've got a member who says he can fill 2 37" tires in less time than most can fill a single tire. The other piece of the equation that people don't factor into the "I'm filling up tires" math is the size of wheels. A 17x7.5" requires less air than the 17x8.5" wheel. It doesn't seem like much but it adds up.
Yup! Hadn’t even thought of that. I went down in size to a 16x8.5’’
Old 09-22-2019, 08:05 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

So you'll have even more space to fill. But I still enjoy the system and I would buy it again. Cutting the hole in the dash was a little unnerving but totally worth it. Make sure you take your time and do it right. I'm finding myself redoing projects where I rushed the first time and took shortcuts.
Old 09-22-2019, 08:21 AM
JK Newbie

So you'll have even more space to fill. But I still enjoy the system and I would buy it again. Cutting the hole in the dash was a little unnerving but totally worth it. Make sure you take your time and do it right. I'm finding myself redoing projects where I rushed the first time and took shortcuts.
Same here, rushing a project never has a good end result. I think in my case “doing it right” starts with a switchboard (or whatever it’s called with the all the switches on it). As far drilling into the dash... I was freaking out from just unbolting and bolting suspension on the jeep! I’d need a Xanax for drilling the dash hahaha!
Old 09-22-2019, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Recommendation for drilling the dash is to buy the harbor freight step bit. I've made the mistake of drilling to 1/2" and then trying to use a burr bit to get the hole to 3/4" and perfectly round. Luckily Rigid has nice switches that have boots that cover the drilling.
The following users liked this post:
ErikStryker (09-22-2019)
Old 09-22-2019, 09:51 AM
JK Newbie

Recommendation for drilling the dash is to buy the harbor freight step bit. I've made the mistake of drilling to 1/2" and then trying to use a burr bit to get the hole to 3/4" and perfectly round. Luckily Rigid has nice switches that have boots that cover the drilling.
thanks for the heads up tip! I've been studying the pics above from the OP... what size line is that? and also is there a "required minimum"? for example I purchased this stuff a while back to use for my project. also silly question, is that an expiration date on the line I have pictured?
Old 09-22-2019, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

The line from the compressor to the manifold would need to be braided stainless. It gets hot to where you'd get burned touching it. I've got smaller compressors that hook directly to the battery and they get really warm where the air comes out as well after extended use. @Rednroll built a little system using the smaller compressors, he may be able to point you in the right direction on materials.

As far as shelf life on the hose- if it hasn't been torn up by the sun and isn't dried out then that'll work. I've got a smaller rigid line that leaves the manifold and goes to an external hookup at the front bumper, it doesn't see much light so it's in good shape.
The following users liked this post:
ErikStryker (09-22-2019)

Quick Reply: Viair Install