Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

What was done to your JK this week?

Old 01-11-2021, 03:58 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

What front seals did you use? They switched through the years and you've got the old style (like Synergy and cheap) then you've got the new Mopar 2 piece style- crazy expensive lately. I ended up finding them for $9 each but then some higher priced shipping through Drivetrain America....guess who bought 4 seals to save on shipping, knowing that I'll have to do the job again, on my jeep or a friend's. I went with the new style because they seem to seal better than the old style (even though I had two sets of the old style in my toolbox).
Old 01-11-2021, 06:21 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by TheCountWheels
Thanks! Install videos/directions seem straight forward! No desire to touch the diff outside of fluid changes and have been eyeing the RCV's for a while... The AEV Borah wheels I added last year are shockingly heavy and could be a stressor on the front axle (I can barely get the spare on the back)... Will use this time for a wheel hub/bearing refresh while torn down... Probably going to pass on trusses/sleeves at this point (mixed comments in the forum)... I keep eyeing axle housing upgrades but not running on a lift that extreme or corresponding trails - yet.
I did the sleeves and gussets years ago before switching to 35s. If I were to start fresh today (with the funds I have now) I'd go straight to new housings. I don't regret the reinforcements at all and I haven't had an ounce of trouble after a lot of on and off road miles on the 37s, but I think a beefier housing is the way to go. Eventually I'll probably still get around to bigger axles, but when I have the time to invest in doing everything I'd want to go along with them. And that would really just be for kicks anyway, the current setup is extremely capable.

Originally Posted by karls10jk
What front seals did you use? They switched through the years and you've got the old style (like Synergy and cheap) then you've got the new Mopar 2 piece style- crazy expensive lately. I ended up finding them for $9 each but then some higher priced shipping through Drivetrain America....guess who bought 4 seals to save on shipping, knowing that I'll have to do the job again, on my jeep or a friend's. I went with the new style because they seem to seal better than the old style (even though I had two sets of the old style in my toolbox).
I used the standard one piece, I wasn't aware of the new design until now. If these leak I'll try the two piece version. It's really not a difficult job and I won't mind doing it again. These seals might also last until whatever the next axle upgrade might be, so I guess we'll see.
Old 01-11-2021, 06:40 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by icrashbikes
I used the standard one piece, I wasn't aware of the new design until now. If these leak I'll try the two piece version. It's really not a difficult job and I won't mind doing it again. These seals might also last until whatever the next axle upgrade might be, so I guess we'll see.
I wasn't aware of the new style until a friend at the dealer suggested I use them. The local dealer here swore up and down they wouldn't fit my 2010 (after I'd already installed a set) and he told me there was only one style of seal. I asked for the same part on a 2016 and he came back with a different seal...the one I was looking for. They were asking $80 each and that's just not a price I could swallow.

Also, on those seals- I don't know if I've mentioned it lately, but the dealer includes a highly smelly orange RTV to install them to give them a little better fighting chance of holding. The mechanics that do these often have extra tubes in their boxes. My friend brought over a tube and it will stink you out of the garage, but it is watertight (oiltight) as a whale's keister.
Old 01-17-2021, 02:17 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by icrashbikes
The shafts really aren't bad to do at all. We only had to empty the diff to get at the seals. The shafts slide right out after you pop off the brakes and wheel bearings, so all of 7 bolts per side. They come greased and ready to install. I can't say what difference they make on road during normal driving except that the old u-joint must have been worn because the steering has tightened up significantly. I just like to beef up when the opportunity presents itself.
Holy crap - Getting my original hubs off took everything I had. Needed to use the youtube trick for each of the 6 bolts holding the hubs on after giving up on the BFH method. Basically loosen the bolts 10 mm then using sockets and adapters of different lengths and turning the wheel to utilize the steering system like a hydraulic ram! EVERY BOLT! Lots of mud/rust in there - cleaned up as much as I could. Next challenge is getting the new abs wires connected (putting on new hubs as well and new sensors came with). Sure hope the new axles come this week!
Old 01-17-2021, 04:42 PM
JK Newbie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mod of the Month...
JK Hood Latch, now OEM JL Hood Latch...simple install...no more hood flutter at speed!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo648.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	437.1 KB
ID:	677709   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo487.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	677710   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo507.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	979.3 KB
ID:	677711  
The following users liked this post:
SprkEng56 (01-24-2021)
Old 01-18-2021, 04:59 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by TheCountWheels
Holy crap - Getting my original hubs off took everything I had. Needed to use the youtube trick for each of the 6 bolts holding the hubs on after giving up on the BFH method. Basically loosen the bolts 10 mm then using sockets and adapters of different lengths and turning the wheel to utilize the steering system like a hydraulic ram! EVERY BOLT! Lots of mud/rust in there - cleaned up as much as I could. Next challenge is getting the new abs wires connected (putting on new hubs as well and new sensors came with). Sure hope the new axles come this week!
Wow! That sounds nightmarish
Old 01-20-2021, 07:15 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update - Found some brake rub on the pass side brake lines so ordered new Teraflex line anchors (old ones were a little worse for wear) and Teraflex 26" steel braided lines (which are shorter than the lines on it??. Broke off the mounting brake line bolts in the frame - was able to remove and order new retainers and fasteners.

The Bad news - On the previously stated ship date from Morris 4x4 I received a note stating it would be another 3 weeks on the RCV axles! Jeep still up on blocks... Debating on putting all back together then taking all apart again in a few weeks or just letting it sit since not driving much these days...
Old 01-20-2021, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

It's not a cheap solution, but the JKS links have been good to me and they're adjustable to cover if you go up or down in lift. They're also a good backup for the Rubi sway bar when it decides to act up.
Old 01-20-2021, 08:30 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,596 Posts

Originally Posted by karls10jk
It's not a cheap solution, but the JKS links have been good to me and they're adjustable to cover if you go up or down in lift. They're also a good backup for the Rubi sway bar when it decides to act up.
+1 - 7.5 years later my JKS links still holding up. On/off in about 30 sec time too can't be beat.
Old 01-20-2021, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

I have some Rock Krawler adjustable endlinks that are.. surviving. The quick disconnects still work well, but the super tight 0000 grease joints are definitely not happy.

Quick Reply: What was done to your JK this week?