Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

$$$Spare key?!$$$

Old 06-13-2009, 06:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $$$Spare key?!$$$

Check this out: my girlfriend decides to get me a spare key for my JEEP. Calls the dealership they say, "Chrysler disowned us...we have NO MORE JEEP STUFF AT ALL. Call the dealer in New Symrna Beach." So she does, they tell her a spare key is 149 bucks. ONE-HUNDRED and FIFTY DOLLARS! She says, I dont want keyless entry, just give me something that can start it. They say, "$150." I understand that some keys have chips (owned a few wicked sports cars), but $150 for a spare key for my JEEP??? Please someone tell me you know how to get one cheaper.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Check e-bay for blanks that have chips installed, then have it cut at your local key shop.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:28 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by 07armygreen
Check this out: my girlfriend decides to get me a spare key for my JEEP. Calls the dealership they say, "Chrysler disowned us...we have NO MORE JEEP STUFF AT ALL. Call the dealer in New Symrna Beach." So she does, they tell her a spare key is 149 bucks. ONE-HUNDRED and FIFTY DOLLARS! She says, I dont want keyless entry, just give me something that can start it. They say, "$150." I understand that some keys have chips (owned a few wicked sports cars), but $150 for a spare key for my JEEP??? Please someone tell me you know how to get one cheaper.
I just paid 250 for my spare, keyless entry, I lost my keys while I was out of town.... had to have it towed to the nearst dealer too.... so they could program it!!!
Old 06-13-2009, 06:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IF you have 2 working keys you can get one form ebay or online and program the 3rd yourself, if you dont have 2 working your are screwed

check this thread out
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ebay+spare+key
Old 06-13-2009, 06:42 PM
JK Freak

if you want the keyless entry key you can get it from moparpartsamerica.com for $97.86 part # 68001702AA
Old 06-13-2009, 06:57 PM
JK Freak

If you have two working keys and you don't need the keyless entry model, you can pick them up on ebay cheaply. I bought two for about $35 then had them cut at the local Ace Hardware. Then you just program them yourself in the Jeep, the procedure is outlined in the owners manual. Nothing to it and then you have spares in case you lose one. I bought Strattec keys, I believe Strattec makes the OEM Jeep keys.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

OK, so I have ONE KEY. Am I screwed? Is there no way to get a key that will start the car for under $95? Wonder how GM/Chrysler got here...this is why I hate the dealership, 100 bucks to get a spare key
Old 06-13-2009, 08:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can’t help you, but I am glad I read this! I think I am going to get a third key made. I loose my keys all the time. No it’s not age, I’ve done sense I have been driving
Old 06-13-2009, 08:57 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 07armygreen
OK, so I have ONE KEY. Am I screwed? Is there no way to get a key that will start the car for under $95? Wonder how GM/Chrysler got here...this is why I hate the dealership, 100 bucks to get a spare key
I think if you buy one with just the chip, you may be able to get the dealer to program that, but the will charge you of course, I'd call again and tell them you have a key with the chip in it you need programmed that you had cut as a spare, tell them your other key was stolen lol
Old 06-13-2009, 08:59 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have two keys... just got to find the other one. The keys are chipped even the non-keyless entry ones, or so I've heard. They are supposedly chipped so that the JK won't start even if it was hotwired without the sensor in the key.

Quick Reply: $$$Spare key?!$$$