Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

2008 JK reliability

Old 03-16-2008, 08:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 08 with a horribly leaky roof and you know what? Still love it. And I'm a wife too. Go for it.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Black08X
I have to say that thus far I am very happy with my 08 Wrangler. I look forward to driving it everyday. It bounces and bucks along the road like an old chuck wagon, but I expect that, I love it in fact, it's part of what makes a Jeep a Jeep. ..... I get to drive a vehicle with military lineage, and a removeable soft top. I feel like I'm 19 years old and back at Fort Hood. I'm a kid again.
For me, I'm 22 again and back at Fort Campbell.

For the OP, my JK has been trouble free -- better than the Subaru Legacy GT or the Mazdaspeed Miata or the VW Golf I've had in the past. If the JK REALLY scares you, just get another Toyota and sleep better at night. Your piece of mind is paramount.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:19 PM
JK Super Freak

I have an '07 Rubi and the only real problem I've had is when I buried both right side wheels in a gravel/clay mixture. The E-disconnect lamp wouldn't go out. The dealer replaced the whole unit without question. I'm more than happy with it.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:36 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I traded an 04 F250 Powerstroke on my 08 X unlimited. Best thing I ever did....with my clothes still on, anyway.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:38 PM
JK Super Freak

I'm sure you've heard of the phrase, "It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand." Nothing could be more accurate. If you own a Jeep and still don't understand, then you're just not a Jeep person and you're better off with a Toyota.

It has been repeated time and time again on this forum, the Jeep Wrangler is much more than just a vehicle, it's a way of life. I've owned Wranglers for 3 years now, but have wanted one for over 20 years. It started off as my weekend fun vehicle. My daily driver was a Benz SLK-320. Well, shortly after I got my '05 TJ, I realized I enjoyed driving it so much more that I sold the SLK and just kept the TJ. It was loud, slow, leaked in the rain and a bumpy ride, but I never enjoyed driving so much. It's hard for me to be upset in my Jeep when someone cuts me off or passes me on the highway as if I'm going too slow. I feel as if nothing bothers me. I've always had a "Life is Good" sticker on my Jeeps. I can't image putting that on any other vehicle (except my wife's Turbo Convertible Beetle ).

I now have a JK Unlimited. Don't let the 4 doors fool you. It's still a Wrangler. It's loud, it leaks, it's slow and it's just as much fun to drive and wheel with as my '05 TJ. I guarantee that if you buy it and like it, you will never have as much fun driving another vehicle again. However, if you buy one and don't like it, then you're just not a Jeep person. It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand.

I recommend you rent one or borrow one from someone who has one and drive it around for a weekend. You'll know within a short period of time whether it's for you or not.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:05 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by nclehmann
I'm sure you've heard of the phrase, "It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand." Nothing could be more accurate. If you own a Jeep and still don't understand, then you're just not a Jeep person and you're better off with a Toyota.

It has been repeated time and time again on this forum, the Jeep Wrangler is much more than just a vehicle, it's a way of life. I've owned Wranglers for 3 years now, but have wanted one for over 20 years. It started off as my weekend fun vehicle. My daily driver was a Benz SLK-320. Well, shortly after I got my '05 TJ, I realized I enjoyed driving it so much more that I sold the SLK and just kept the TJ. It was loud, slow, leaked in the rain and a bumpy ride, but I never enjoyed driving so much. It's hard for me to be upset in my Jeep when someone cuts me off or passes me on the highway as if I'm going too slow. I feel as if nothing bothers me. I've always had a "Life is Good" sticker on my Jeeps. I can't image putting that on any other vehicle (except my wife's Turbo Convertible Beetle ).

I now have a JK Unlimited. Don't let the 4 doors fool you. It's still a Wrangler. It's loud, it leaks, it's slow and it's just as much fun to drive and wheel with as my '05 TJ. I guarantee that if you buy it and like it, you will never have as much fun driving another vehicle again. However, if you buy one and don't like it, then you're just not a Jeep person. It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand.

I recommend you rent one or borrow one from someone who has one and drive it around for a weekend. You'll know within a short period of time whether it's for you or not.
X2. You just either get it or you don't. I don't think words can really explain it. Like I said, I'm a kid at Fort Hood again. The only way I'd trade this vehicle is to get another Jeep. But then I'd have to deal with another damn Jeep dealer and f**k that!!!!
Old 03-16-2008, 07:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

we bought our jeep new and have put 6000 tough miles on it (rock crawling mud holes and sand dunes) and it still runs like brand new. not once complaint at all. we love it.
oh, the top leaks when spraying it directly above the passenger door at close parimeters with a power washer.... but we can deal with a few drops. it's worth it to be able to be topless and doorless in less than 3 minutes

so i would say.... get one and HAVE FUN OUT THERE!!!
Old 03-16-2008, 08:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

mark me down as an 08 owner with zero problems to date.

i have no complaints, but i knew exactly what i was buying. i've had 3 wranglers and this one goes above and beyond the others as far as comfort......BUT i gotta say, if you aren't sure if you want a JK or a camry, go ahead and get the camry........because you'll miss the quiet & smooth ride, the gas mileage, the fit & finish, power seats and i could go on. those cars give you everything you could ever want. except fun. basically...if you want those things.........you don't understand.

for people like us, it really is a lifestyle......at the very least i'd call it a hobby.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:17 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by WaIIbanger
mark me down as an 08 owner with zero problems to date.

i have no complaints, but i knew exactly what i was buying. i've had 3 wranglers and this one goes above and beyond the others as far as comfort......BUT i gotta say, if you aren't sure if you want a JK or a camry, go ahead and get the camry........because you'll miss the quiet & smooth ride, the gas mileage, the fit & finish, power seats and i could go on. those cars give you everything you could ever want. except fun. basically...if you want those things.........you don't understand.

for people like us, it really is a lifestyle......at the very least i'd call it a hobby.
Wow...comparing camrys to jeeps, never thought i'd see that one. But hey i learn something new everday. Umm...what. A camry to a wrangler. That has to be the worst comparison ive ever seen. Of course a camry is going to drive smother and quiter, its a CAR and its a economy car, and a toyota at that. Why are you comparing them. You have to be a certain breed to own a wrangler, and yes I do agree alot of it is a "Jeep thing."
Old 03-17-2008, 08:26 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hedgehog
My wife wants a 2008 JK but after reading this forum, I am very leary about the reliability of these vehicles (stall bugs, not starting, leaky roofs). She currently has a slightly lifted 2003 Tacoma doublecab that I will take over if she gets the JK. After owning several Toyotas, I have high expectations. I would probably order it because I want the 3.73 gears in case I ever want to go up slightly in tire size. So to all you JK owners, are you happy, content, or dis-satisfied with the reliability and quality of your jeep. Also if I do order one, whats the expected wait time? Any comment both good and bad would be appreciated.
I have one tip for you. Never go to an enthusiasts' site to determine anything on the average. You will always get skewed results, because 10:1 people will post negative things, because they either need help or are venting.

I've been extremely satisifed with my Jeep. It is, however, a complex manufactured product from an industry that treats customer service and often quality as an after thought. Even Toyota has taken this negative turn.

Quick Reply: 2008 JK reliability