Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

3.0 crd diesel in 08 cherokee maybe in 09 wrangler

Old 01-18-2008, 07:28 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UCLA JK Rida'
Oh man, I didn't know that. Well, I'm all for refining the diesel technology, as long as it can provide gobs of low end torque for climbing and getting out of mud/sand. Definitely kudos if they can augment the low emissions technology as well.

Russ D.
The new Cummins diesels are a 4.2L (256ci) V-6 and a 5.6L (342ci) V-8, both using a 90-degree V-block design with aluminum heads and an iron block. They use single overhead camshafts, a new EGR system, a single turbo, common rail fueling with piezo injectors, and a diesel particulate filter. The V-6 weighs in at 663 pounds, and the V-8tips the scales at 788 pounds, compared to the current 5.9L inline-six engines that weigh about 1,100 pounds.
DieselPower Mag

The info is a little old, since the 5.9L is considered "current". Those are the basics though.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:00 PM
JK Newbie

oh i love the tourqe!!
Old 01-18-2008, 09:16 PM
JK Super Freak

B:

Those sound like 2 pretty solid engines, and if they can find their way into the Wrangler engine bay, then GIDDYAP! The weight savings is definitely a positive as well. As long as the thing is durable and holds up, weight shouldn't be an issue.

Russ D.
Old 01-19-2008, 07:11 AM
JK Newbie

B:

Those sound like 2 pretty solid engines, and if they can find their way into the Wrangler engine bay, then GIDDYAP! The weight savings is definitely a positive as well. As long as the thing is durable and holds up, weight shouldn't be an issue.

Russ D.
Do you happen to know the weight of the 3.8L?
Old 01-19-2008, 06:07 PM
JK Newbie

Default 3.0 crd diesel in 08 cherokee maybe in 09 wrangler

Originally Posted by jeepcrd2008
three headed dog said MB 3.0 is too pricy for wrangler.

Coversion shop said 3.0 needed to shift stearing box to fit 3.0..and moving it messed with ESP.

although I wish it were true
...I'm new to this forum and from Australia so we..and I gather Europe...got the 2.8 Diesel option on our Wranglers. The initial diesel shipments to Australia had 4.1 diff ratios...and with the diesel torque... everyone seemed pretty keen on them. The 3 litre MB diesel would be an improvement no doubt...but there is nothing wrong with the smaller engine. The only annoying thing here is....no Rubicon in the diesel. A real shame.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by brently54
Do you happen to know the weight of the 3.8L?
B:

Are you talking about the weight of the current 3.8L in the JK? I don't know that off the top of my head. I could do some research because I'm kind of curious myself.

Russ D.
Old 01-19-2008, 07:01 PM
JK Newbie

B:

Are you talking about the weight of the current 3.8L in the JK? I don't know that off the top of my head. I could do some research because I'm kind of curious myself.

Russ D.
Yeah! I would like to know the weight of the 3.8L in the JK to see how much heavier the diesel would be. Your research would be helpful, I couldn't find anything!
Old 01-19-2008, 07:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Default I'm stumped!

Originally Posted by brently54
Yeah! I would like to know the weight of the 3.8L in the JK to see how much heavier the diesel would be. Your research would be helpful, I couldn't find anything!
B:

Sorry player, but my search turned up a blank as well. I tried Mopar, Wikipedia, and a few other technical nooks and crannies on the web...to no avail. I could find bore and stroke (which I'm sure you already know), but no engine weight. The CLOSEST I found was this gentleman's website that listed a whole bunch of engine weights (the JK's wasn't listed).

http://www.bacomatic.org/~dw/library/txt/engfyi.htm

I don't know how accurate all of this is. The closest engine to the 3.8 on this website I could find was the old school AMC 6 199 (3.3L) produced from about 1965 to about 1970 that was found in the Rambler. This engine weighs in at an even 500 pounds (0.25 tons). Our current 3.8L is probably a shade under or over that, likely under with the advances in engine technology in the 30+ years since this engine was produced. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful, ace!

Russ D.
Old 01-20-2008, 02:36 PM
JK Newbie

Default Thoughts on Jeep Diesels

I've been driving Cummins Ram's for a decade and loved them, so I got my wife a 2.8 Liberty Diesel in 2005. I was expecting a bullit proof drivetrain in the Liberty like I was used to in the Ram, but it just ain't there - especially in the tranny. Now I know the Liberty isn't a 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck, but still I expected better.

Don't get me wrong - the concept of a diesel Jeep is certainly good, but in the Liberty Chrylser cobbled together parts to make the vehicle and left the dealers with no training and even fewer parts. If they go with a diesel wrangler, I hope the execution is a lot better.

On the other hand, when its running right it runs good. Topped 30 MPG going across Wyoming last month on one stretch. Usually get 27-28 on the highway.

As to how the diesel GC's are selling, my local dealer has a bunch of 2007's left and they aren't moving, but in all fairness that is probably because diesel is higher then premium gas here and doesn't have anything to do with the quality of the product itself. If Chrysler had offered the lifetime warranty on the GC diesel, I would have probably traded the wife's Liberty on one of the 2007 left overs.

So anyway after all of this rambling would I buy a diesel wranger - probably, if it weren't more then $1500 or so over the base engine. The premium on the Liberty was right around there.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:59 PM
JK Newbie

Default Ordering?

ANYBODY KNOW WHEN WE WILL BE ABLE TO ORDER A 2009?

Quick Reply: 3.0 crd diesel in 08 cherokee maybe in 09 wrangler