Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

4.88 or 5.13 yukon gears installed for 850$. Good price?

Old 08-12-2010, 07:58 AM
Din
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.88 or 5.13 yukon gears installed for 850$. Good price?

Local shop here in Houston , texas offering gear install front and rear for $850. Good deal?

Im running 08 X Auto, 4in lift 35 tires with 18in wheels.

I think im going towards the 5.13 gears since it seems what alot of the JK-forums guys run.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:59 AM
JK Junkie

Great price Go with the 5.13, they are ideal for the auto.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great price.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:14 AM
JK Newbie

Great price. Most places average 1000
Old 08-12-2010, 08:15 AM
JK Jedi

As long as the shop is reputable, that's a great price for the gears and install. I believe the only other person that offered it in that price range was Gerry @ Lunatic Customs for $899 or Sean @ Screaming Lizard Customs for $999.

X3 on the 5.13s; they're better suited for the Auto with 35s while the 4.88s would be ideal for a Manual.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:27 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

249 Drivetrain? There are a few old threads in the modified and staging areas. He does a lot of JK's, and seems like a decent guy, but cuts a few corners. If you are local to him (can easily get back for warranty work), go for it.

I drove over from austin to save about $800. Had an issue the day of the install. He made it right, and everything seemed fine.

After moving away from the area, my front seals started leaking. Looking at the oil coming out, we saw some metal flecks. Pulled the drain plug, and a ton of metal came out with the oil. Sent him pics, he said bring it back and he'd re-do them. When I indicated that it was a 14 hour drive one way, he said he was sending new gears and some money to cover the install. (first thought was - wow, awesome customer service!) That was 2 months ago. First 6 weeks, no replies to emails, wouldn't answer my calls or return messages. When he finally answered the phone, he said he was sending them in the next few days. Two weeks later, still nothing...

We'll see.

So, if you are local...
Old 08-12-2010, 08:36 AM
Din
JK Newbie

yup its 249 drivetrain..

I could do it myself with a help of a friend to save the headaches. We are both mechanicaly inclined. . Hmm.. I just figure that was a cheap price since gears by themselves are like 550$.. paying a few more hunderd would save me some time..

let me know if you ever receive what he said he would send. Wont be a few weeks till i gear anyways.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:55 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by nthinuf
249 Drivetrain? There are a few old threads in the modified and staging areas. He does a lot of JK's, and seems like a decent guy, but cuts a few corners. If you are local to him (can easily get back for warranty work), go for it.

I drove over from austin to save about $800. Had an issue the day of the install. He made it right, and everything seemed fine.

After moving away from the area, my front seals started leaking. Looking at the oil coming out, we saw some metal flecks. Pulled the drain plug, and a ton of metal came out with the oil. Sent him pics, he said bring it back and he'd re-do them. When I indicated that it was a 14 hour drive one way, he said he was sending new gears and some money to cover the install. (first thought was - wow, awesome customer service!) That was 2 months ago. First 6 weeks, no replies to emails, wouldn't answer my calls or return messages. When he finally answered the phone, he said he was sending them in the next few days. Two weeks later, still nothing...

We'll see.

So, if you are local...

Ouch, sorry to hear about all the hassles. After hearing this story I'd be shopping elsewhere. For me, it's not worth my time and trouble to have the jeep back in the shop 3 times to save $200.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Default Thats what SHE said...

Originally Posted by nthinuf

We'll see.

So, if you are local...

Quick Reply: 4.88 or 5.13 yukon gears installed for 850$. Good price?