Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

ABS & ESB lights are on

Old 02-13-2010, 10:42 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS & ESB lights are on

Hi guys. My ABS and ESb lights came on along with the traction control graffic. The dealer has had my JK for 3 going on 4 days, and cannot find the issue. Has anyone had this issue before?
Old 02-14-2010, 04:50 AM
JK Junkie

Cut wire to the speed sensor and/or a bad speed sensor. Keep spares, works all the time.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Reviving this Thread.....

Okay, so I had the same issue... log broke my speed sensor on the driver's side. I just replaced it, and I am still gettting the codes... Is there a way I have to reset the system so the code goes away, or should it go away on its own if everything is good?
Old 05-21-2010, 01:26 PM
JK Jedi

This same thing happened to me as well when my rig was still pretty new. After replacing a shit load of things, including the computer, they finally figured out it was a bad wire in a harness somewhere hard to get to. They had all kinds of fun with that one....
Old 05-21-2010, 01:29 PM
JK Jedi

Oh.......and not to hijack this thread....(I've had it posted in the diagnostics sticky with no response) but....

Been having the engine light come on and off for a week or so. Decided to check the code. Does anybody know what this one means or where this sensor is located.....tranny? exhaust?...

P0057 - O2 Sensor 2/2 Heater Circuit Low

Thanks.....
Old 10-23-2010, 07:06 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Hkx3
Had it happen on my 09.

Turned out to be a wire cut under the front bumper.

It is part of the loom that goes to the foglights.

Red and Green wires I believe.

Basically a stick had gone up in there and sliced the wire cleanly. Killed ABS ESP Traction Control everything.

I found it by laying on my back in the garage tracing wires from the wheel sensors.

Fixed the wires, boom! back in the game.

My cruise control would not work either. Apparently those systems will disable cruise.
I just put on a front stubby and had ABS, ESP and ESP BAS lights come on. I had been messing w/ that loom and after reading this decided to check it to see if I had severed it somehow. I hadn't. Apparently, the factory had. Someone decided to just splice and twist both the red and green wires back together and loosely tape. My messing around w/ the loom had pulled significantly enough on the wires to separate the sloppy fix.

Reconnected - tightly/cleanly - and I was back in the game.

I guess even if you're fully comfortable w/ your own potential to err, never assume the 'experts' put it together properly to begin with...
Old 08-24-2014, 07:20 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bringing this back... I installed my lift, welded on c-gussets (took the axle out to weld them up), new Synergy front and rear track bar, tie rod bar, and drag link as well as new front bearings and speed sensors, new brakes (rotors, pads, stainless steel lines, fluid)

My ABS, ESB/BAS and traction control lights are on. Does anyone know what to look at... It's not throwing any codes. I checked to be sure all the connection that we disconnected, we're reconnected. Is there anything else I should check?
Old 08-25-2014, 12:12 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by darkknight1999
Bringing this back... I installed my lift, welded on c-gussets (took the axle out to weld them up), new Synergy front and rear track bar, tie rod bar, and drag link as well as new front bearings and speed sensors, new brakes (rotors, pads, stainless steel lines, fluid)

My ABS, ESB/BAS and traction control lights are on. Does anyone know what to look at... It's not throwing any codes. I checked to be sure all the connection that we disconnected, we're reconnected. Is there anything else I should check?
Visually inspect the wires to each of the wheel sensors. You're looking for any evidence that one might have gotten crushed. If you find a problem, repair damaged wire (splicing is okay) and route it so it doesn't get crushed.

BTW: It probably is throwing a code, it's just that most code readers and the dash don't display ABS codes. A dealer could tell you in a few minutes which sensor is acting up. But usually a careful visual inspection is sufficient to figure it out.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:29 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Visually inspect the wires to each of the wheel sensors. You're looking for any evidence that one might have gotten crushed. If you find a problem, repair damaged wire (splicing is okay) and route it so it doesn't get crushed.

BTW: It probably is throwing a code, it's just that most code readers and the dash don't display ABS codes. A dealer could tell you in a few minutes which sensor is acting up. But usually a careful visual inspection is sufficient to figure it out.
While talking about this with my brother we both realized we forgot to disconnect the neg side of the battery. So last night I went out to the jeep and disconnected the neg side of the battery for the night.

I'll inspect the wires again in the back. Is there anything else I should look at?
Old 08-25-2014, 05:20 PM
JK Freak

Well we double checked everything... took it for a drive and the lights all went out. Works for me!

So to recap for anyone that reads this:

In the process of installing my lift I forgot to disconnect the Negative side of the battery
Disconnected both front ABS sensors (breaking one) to install new wheel bearings
Installed new wheel bearings and ABS sensors
ABS, ESB and traction lights came on when I turned the jeep on to check a few things.
We finished installing the lift.

Took the Jeep for a ride and within a mile all the light went out.

Lesson is don't forget to disconnect your battery... lol

Quick Reply: ABS & ESB lights are on