Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Anyone know of automobile insurance that is Jeep/modified value friendly?

Old 09-11-2013, 03:38 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got State Farm and have always owned modified vehicles. Over the years I've had multiple things replaced bc of damage or stolen. State Farm will replace aftermarket parts for what they deem 'fair market value'. It depends on how new the damaged/stolen items are. I had a 5 year old head unit stolen that they only covered about half the cost on. On the flip side, I had a wheel/tire replaced that was only about a year old and they covered that 100%.

I've never been asked for receipts or anything like that, but I always keep them in a file in my office just in case I need to verify a purchase price. I also make sure I have current pics of each vehicle that in fact proves what aftermarket parts are installed.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:31 AM
JK Forum Regional Rep

We use J.C. Taylor for our modified needs
Old 09-11-2013, 05:46 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by v8zracer260z
I too have USAA and recently had my jeep totaled. ...
Very interesting. I take it you've also received those $5,000 notifications about "custom equipment" on your insurance statements?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	496583

And, FYI as a testament about calling your insurance agent: A couple years ago when this subject came up, someone posted that he had USAA and he had spoken with an agent and was told that they would cover any amount for which he could prove the mods were on the vehicle (if it was stolen for example). This individual posted that receipts and/or photos were what that particular agent advised. So much for trusting what the agent said.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Very interesting. I take it you've also received those $5,000 notifications about "custom equipment" on your insurance statements?

Attachment 496583

And, FYI as a testament about calling your insurance agent: A couple years ago when this subject came up, someone posted that he had USAA and he had spoken with an agent and was told that they would cover any amount for which he could prove the mods were on the vehicle (if it was stolen for example). This individual posted that receipts and/or photos were what that particular agent advised. So much for trusting what the agent said.
I'll check when did they mail/email those letters out? May give me some recourse on getting my front axle covered. They are still trying to determine liability in the case so I may have reimbursement through the other insurance company or subrogation.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:57 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

I'll check when did they mail/email those letters out? May give me some recourse on getting my front axle covered. They are still trying to determine liability in the case so I may have reimbursement through the other insurance company or subrogation.
I just grabbed that off my online account. It was the last page of my renewal policy statement, which I just paid last week. So, it's current.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:48 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Earlier you used the term "personal preference" to describe how USAA said they did not cover your mod's. I tried searching that, and that doesn't appear to be a defined term. That's important. So, I thought maybe what you really meant was "personal property", which I know is a defined term.

And, after doing a bit of research, I learned that some things that might be deemed by us as permanent mods, such as an audio system, are often times excluded from auto insurance policies because the insurer considers them personal property. This is so even if the audio system is mounted in place of the old (OEM) one.

This doesn't mean you're without recourse: Personal property is usually covered by renter's/homeowner's insurance. That would seem to make sense if someone stole a new PR44 axle from the bed of your pick-up truck. Doesn't seem to make sense if your new PR44 front axle melts down because your JK catches on fire (God forbid). But, that's the weird way of insurance.

The really ironic thing would be if you have USAA homeowner's coverage. So, either way they are on the hook. Maybe. Do bear in mind that ALL OF THE ABOVE varies by state, insurance company, and your specific policy. Here's where my research led me ...

http://www.carsdirect.com/car-insurance/is-personal-property-in-my-car-covered-by-insurance

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 09-11-2013 at 06:51 AM.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:50 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Matthewd5

I asked my agent and they had no clue...

Filled out a form at that rally company

Matthew
Did you ever hear back from Rally? I spoke with one of their agents about a state value policy and she said she was going to look into the vehicle and get me a quote back. That was 10 plus days ago now without anything.

Also, got with my state farm again. The best they can do is say a total loss would pay more than the book value of the vehicle but they cannot say what or how the adjuster would value the vehicle being as they all look at it as a case by case basis.

So I definitely need to find another policy even my SF agent agreed.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Nothing counts unless its in writing. If you really want to get aftermarket parts covered expect to pay a little more. Some guys have $20k in added parts on a jeep worth $20k. If you want your insurance to cover it all, you have to be insured for a $40k vehicle.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:19 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Irish JK
Did you ever hear back from Rally? I spoke with one of their agents about a state value policy and she said she was going to look into the vehicle and get me a quote back. That was 10 plus days ago now without anything.

Also, got with my state farm again. The best they can do is say a total loss would pay more than the book value of the vehicle but they cannot say what or how the adjuster would value the vehicle being as they all look at it as a case by case basis.

So I definitely need to find another policy even my SF agent agreed.
Well the rally interaction so far has been disappointing, when I contacted them via their web form I clearly stated that we were in the middle of a two week Mediterranean cruise and that the phone wasn't the best to reach me, and then I have her my email which I check at least twice a day...

She goes and calls my cell number and leaves this really long message asking for all sorts of info...

We get back home really late Sunday night, so I'll listen to her message see where that gets me...

My met life agent asked for an itemized list of the extras that have been added to the jeep including price

I'm going to give it to her when we get back...

I'll definitely post when I have some progress

Matthew
Old 09-19-2013, 12:27 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Rubi_Chill
Nothing counts unless its in writing. If you really want to get aftermarket parts covered expect to pay a little more. Some guys have $20k in added parts on a jeep worth $20k. If you want your insurance to cover it all, you have to be insured for a $40k vehicle.
No offense but that's exactly what this thread is about...

Matthew

Quick Reply: Anyone know of automobile insurance that is Jeep/modified value friendly?