Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Auto or Manual

Old 05-13-2012, 05:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those that text & eat while they drive or have to endure daily traffic congestion the auto has an advantage.
I got the manual. No regret.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mredkilledmyz
I chose the manual in my JKU. Owning an automatic never even crossed my mind to tell you the truth. I have owned about 13-14 cars in my life and maybe 3 were automatics and that is just because they didn't make those vehicles in manual.

I don't really know why I like driving manual so much but it is fun to me. Shifting through the gears and having that extra bit of control makes me feel good. I live in the city now and even during traffic the manual doesn't really bother me. I can't think of any time where I thought to myself "man I wish I had an auto".

As long as they keep making vehicles in manual, I will keep buying them in manual. And it doesn't hurt that my girlfriend can drive manual as well.
Couldn't agree more!
Old 05-13-2012, 06:03 AM
JK Newbie

I drive a jeep.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by im-ocd
For those that text & eat while they drive or have to endure daily traffic congestion the auto has an advantage.
I got the manual. No regret.
Funny, I'm so used to driving manual that I can still eat, drink coffee etc. without much problem. I don't usually though. It's like anything else, you learn to improvise to the conditions. Having said that I don't see an auto as having that many advantages.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:22 AM
JK Newbie

I have never owned an automatic until now. 2 big reasons I chose it is my wife drives it to and from work, with the busy roads the auto is easier for her. The other reason is she can't drive standard. I tried teaching her but I just don't think she's meant to drive one. With this, if we are out in the bush somewhere and I injure myself and can't drive, now she can get us out.
As for the off-road reasons to own a standard vs auto. There are so many pros and cons for each that really I think it comes down to personal preference.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:24 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I chose manual because it's part of the personality and experience of a Jeep. I've driven an auto JKU rubicon and for the life of me it felt almost like I was driving a boxy minivan. I just didn't have the same experience when driving an auto tranny Jeep. Out of all my friends that own jeeps, only one of them has an auto. He told me the only reason he didn't get manual is because the one he bought was already modded the way he wanted. Other than that he would've gotten manual.

Everyone is entitled to choose. I just think Jeeps are better with manuals.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Another thought I had was that everything has become so automated today...we practically don't have to do anything anymore. Hell with the new iPhone and Siri we barely need to think or make decisions any more. I guess I enjoy holding onto the old school ways in some areas of life, driving is one of them.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:15 AM
JK Newbie

I had 03 rubicon with auto. I actually felt like I had it to easy. Traded I. For 2012 stick. I feel more engaged when driving. 6 speed gets slightly better gas. Also OffRoad it funner with less worry of fluid loss
Old 01-25-2013, 04:53 AM
JK Newbie

Got a 2013 JKU about three weeks ago and went with manual. I enjoy being able to control the shift and feel more like part of the jeep. There is nothing like the feeling of the front having that little up down bounce when shifting gears on the jeep and letting the torque do its job!
When I brought it home my 15 yr old who got her permit a week prior asked what the third pedal was for. I told her it was mine and would explain it to her in a few months.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:19 AM
JK Super Freak

JKU Auto here...

Quick Reply: Auto or Manual