Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Auto or Manual

Old 05-11-2012, 06:22 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by JK4x4wrangler
Manual, better on gas
You're getting better than 23 on the highway and 18 around town?
Old 05-11-2012, 06:44 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Test drove both before I chose, I found the manual with the drive by wire hard to drive smoothly, I ended up getting the automatic. It has only been a few weeks but it is great so far, I have a JK with 3.73s, seems pretty quick as well.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

For the 2012, i got the auto after having my heart set to get a manual. The JK manual is not like a "normal" manual in a sports car and I coulnt get used to the long throws, shaking stick and finicky clutch and gas pedal. You may like it if you are used to Jeeps idiosycrasis. The new engine works great with the auto and I havent looked back and glad I got the auto! You Jeep tho, your choice!
Old 05-11-2012, 09:18 AM
JK Newbie

JKJ10 - I think you and I are on the same page. Everyone has their right to an opinion - but I could never see myself driving a auto Jeep.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:13 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Burkedad
JKJ10 - I think you and I are on the same page. Everyone has their right to an opinion - but I could never see myself driving a auto Jeep.
Same here, feel the same way.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:28 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my Jeep with a lifetime powertrain and plan to own it till I die... and I don't see myself driving stick in 30 years, also the wife prefers auto (she CAN drive stick).

Also I'm 6'3, the auto has tons more legroom without the clutch pedal there. I can pop on the cruise and fully stretch out my legs for a few moments on the HWY as needed.

Lastly, I test drove a stick.. I almost didn't buy a Jeep because I hated the foot position of it so much compared to my 4runner. Tried the auto and it turned me around.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:56 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JK4x4wrangler
Manual, better on gas more fun off road!...oh and to Mr. "Easier to multi task" YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE MULTITASKING WHILE DRIVING!!! PAY ATTENTION TO THE ROAD!!
Hell yeah. Right on brother. Manuals make u pay for attention to driving
Old 05-11-2012, 11:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

got my auto because I wanted a 2dr and even with the seat all the way back my knee hit the bottom of the dash when I shifted. I wouldn't have minded but when I was 13 I injured my leg and have some scars right were it was hitting the dash, very painful.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

I chose the manual in my JKU. Owning an automatic never even crossed my mind to tell you the truth. I have owned about 13-14 cars in my life and maybe 3 were automatics and that is just because they didn't make those vehicles in manual.

I don't really know why I like driving manual so much but it is fun to me. Shifting through the gears and having that extra bit of control makes me feel good. I live in the city now and even during traffic the manual doesn't really bother me. I can't think of any time where I thought to myself "man I wish I had an auto".

As long as they keep making vehicles in manual, I will keep buying them in manual. And it doesn't hurt that my girlfriend can drive manual as well.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:06 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought mine used with a manual so I did not have much choice unless I picked a different rig. I am not anti-automatic but the manual works well on/off road and commuter traffic is not that bad.

I like the manual and probably would get another one with the stick!

Quick Reply: Auto or Manual