Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Is it a bad idea to get a 2012 JKU Rubi Automatic with the 3.73 gears

Old 09-16-2011, 01:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depending on what options you want...you may be better off (as someone pointed out) getting the Sport or Sahara.

The benefit of the Rubi is the lockers and e-disco....but if you are doing light trails and overland...you are kinda paying for stuff you won't use much.

I'm going back and forth between a Sport S, and a Sahara....and also between 3.21's and 3.73's. I plan on doing a lot of highway travel, and very limited crawling...so I'm going to pass on the Rubi.

----------
4.10's are standard on the 2012 Rubi manual.
3.73's are standard on the 2012 Rubi auto.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Riptide
And when you put 35s on?? .
I'm running 35's now and it runs great but I feel I could still run fine with 3.73's. Heck, my Cobra came with 3.55 gears and after I tweaked it I was putting down 675 RWHP using 3.55 gears. I'm down to only having four Mustangs today and the steepest gear in any of them is 3.55's.

That's what I'm saying, even I was so used to Jeep's being so underpowered (and I've had 3 in the past 6 years) that gears was the only option to make changes. Now that they finally make decent power, you don't need those steep gears anymore - personal opinion. Today I launch off from red lights like a freaking soccer Mom in her Chevy Tahoe plus can cruise all day at 80+ on the Interstate and tow trailers like you don't even have one hooked on. On trails with the good geared transfer case, you couldn't tell the difference between 3.73's or 4.10's anyway.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:08 PM
JK Newbie

I test drove a Sahara with the 3.21 and a rubi with 4.1 and I prefered the drive of the 4.1. The Sahara felt a little sluggish to me. Didn't drive the 3.73. I ended up with the 4.1 model, and I love it.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by u2ecila
I test drove a Sahara with the 3.21 and a rubi with 4.1 and I prefered the drive of the 4.1. The Sahara felt a little sluggish to me. Didn't drive the 3.73. I ended up with the 4.1 model, and I love it.
Think the 3.21 should pretty much be ruled out on Jeeps. The real debate is 3.73 or 4.1
Old 09-16-2011, 04:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Do not get a Rubicon if you're not planning to use it. Please save it for someone who will.

My '12 has the 4.10 ratio and I do not recommend it to anyone planning on running the factory 32s. Most on this site(and others) are use to the poor ratio options the '07-'11 Autos had therefore they always preach the 4.10 option.

I would recommend a Sport or Sahara with 3.21s for someone who may never take it off road and 3.73 for someone who plans to stay with 35" or smaller tires but does plan to wheel it.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mojoe
Think the 3.21 should pretty much be ruled out on Jeeps. The real debate is 3.73 or 4.1
On the 2012 auto's, 3.21 isn't too bad.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:35 PM
JK Newbie

Default Rubi 3.73 vs Sahara 3.73, no sport for me

Hi All,

Thanks to all that have posted. Your feed back is appreciated.

I like the rubicon because of its tires and height. I want a truck with the look of a truck.

In comparison here is what I would love to own. Keep in mind that I have never gone off roading as of yet aside form tours.
1979 to 1983 Toyota FJ-40
1993 Defender 110 NAS
Old Vintage jeeps from the 40's, 50's and 60's
I's love to own any of those. I came very close to buying a fully restored 1993 Defender 110 last year, it got sold just before I got to it.
I just love the looks (safari) and utility of them.

I would like to get into some off roading but it will never be rock crawling. It would be light recreational paths.

I want a fully loaded unit with leather (I have young kids), NAV (I'm in a new city and country), plus both tops (I'm in Florida now), body color matching hard top and fenders.

The Sahara should really be the model for me. Its got the 3.73 and comes loaded with what I would want. Thats said, when I set the two models next to each other the Rubi just looks more safarish. It looks higher and more aggressive. If I got the Sahara I would probably want to change the tires which would add an additional cost narrowing the price gap.

I think I'm going to order a 2012 Rubi with Automatic, the 3.73 gears, saddle leather, side air bags, NAV, tow package, matching fenders and hard top, dual tops plus I think there was something else I'll have to check. It will live a pampered life but will get used as my DD and family/kid hauler. Camping will happen along with light off roading. Who knows maybe I'll get more into the off roading as time goes on.

Would towing a small classic car with the 3.73 be an issue?

Now for the color. Was looking at Dozer, want to see the new crush and Green, "Black Forest Green" or white (safari) as my fall back color.

Thanks and best regards,

Max
Old 09-16-2011, 06:06 PM
JK Newbie

Ranjr what are you his mom. If the man wants a rubicon then let him get a rubicon. My advice if you have the money then buy a rubicon and dont get a sahara. save the saharas for the soccer moms.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeepmont
Ranjr what are you his mom. If the man wants a rubicon then let him get a rubicon. My advice if you have the money then buy a rubicon and dont get a sahara. save the saharas for the soccer moms.
Well said.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeepmont
And this is the exact reason why people buy the Rubicon for a status symbol. I frankly don't care what he gets. He asked for opinions and I gave mine. Why over buy something you'll never use?? I bet you're the guy I see pulling a small fishing boat with a F-450 because you can.

Quick Reply: Is it a bad idea to get a 2012 JKU Rubi Automatic with the 3.73 gears