Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

bedline or plati dip wheels?

Old 08-29-2012, 07:35 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scott franklin

What did you do to prep them? Did you prime the wheels or did you just clean them real good and spray them? I think I am going to go with the duplicolor engine enamel like yours or the bed liner. Thanks again for the advice and pics.
all from iPhone at work, excuse grammar and spaces lol

Friend of mine did his Audi wheels with the duplicolor about 4 years ago and still look great so that's what I used. I first scuffed the wheels up really good (about hour a wheel) with scotch bright pads (also used the one that connects to drill) prep is KEY, don't skimp. after you scuff, clean them a few times and dry in sun.

I then did 2 thin coats of duplicolor self etching primer. For the spraying, definitely do light coats for every thing, it dries stronger.

For paint, they sell low gloss (. Which is straight flat) , semi and high gloss. I started using semi, but the way I was spraying didn't come out smooth. User error, the overspray was drying with orange peel effect if you know what I mean. So last 2-3 coats I used the low gloss.

I Was so frustrated with getting tape to stick to tire (tried duct tape) so I just painted right over the friggin tire lol. Like I said before, I
Everything chipped off the tire on its own thru normal wear(letters are still black). Didn't look silly at all, couldn't even tell with the low gloss.

They came out great, but if I eventually redo them (if I have to) I'd go with semi. The flat looks fine, but with brake and road dust they aren't a deep deep black unless they're clean. Semi is obviously easier to clean.

Before

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2137274755.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	359684

After

Name:	image-2595291093.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	359685

Name:	image-2854647725.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	359686
Old 08-29-2012, 09:07 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks man! Weather permitting I will be doing this to mine this weekend. I've got a long weekend and a willing father in law who loves Jeeps and wants to help. I think I'm gonna do like you did and do the entire tire also. I don't care for the white letters either. Will post some pics if I am able to get this done this weekend along with a few other Jeep projects.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

you definitely want to bedline your wheels, I used the plastidip on my wheels and front grill and went back and redid them with bed liner, it takes longer but it's way worth it in my opinion to go with the bedliner.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:46 AM
JK Junkie

Thanks man! Weather permitting I will be doing this to mine this weekend. I've got a long weekend and a willing father in law who loves Jeeps and wants to help. I think I'm gonna do like you did and do the entire tire also. I don't care for the white letters either. Will post some pics if I am able to get this done this weekend along with a few other Jeep projects.
Good luck and have fun. Biggest advice is spray thin! Use Atleast 5 coats, and if you do all 5 wheels in a line, you don't really have to wait in between coats by the time you get back to first. Duplicolor cans spray pretty nice and even.

Also, don't use more than 3/4 of a can. They can start to spit and sputter and then you cry lol...I think I bought like 10 cans just to be safe, easy to return em. Used maybe 7-8.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:50 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bedline the grill, PlastiDip the wheels.

Name:	image-2510563872.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	359732

Name:	image-192067146.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	359730

Name:	image-3266105022.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	359731
Old 08-29-2012, 10:53 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Phil68w
you definitely want to bedline your wheels, I used the plastidip on my wheels and front grill and went back and redid them with bed liner, it takes longer but it's way worth it in my opinion to go with the bedliner.
That's what I was thinking. Good to know and thanks for the input I really appreciate all the help.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:54 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by kh202
Good luck and have fun. Biggest advice is spray thin! Use Atleast 5 coats, and if you do all 5 wheels in a line, you don't really have to wait in between coats by the time you get back to first. Duplicolor cans spray pretty nice and even.

Also, don't use more than 3/4 of a can. They can start to spit and sputter and then you cry lol...I think I bought like 10 cans just to be safe, easy to return em. Used maybe 7-8.
Thanks I was trying to calcualte how many cans to go get...
Old 08-29-2012, 10:56 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by BigRedJK
Bedline the grill, PlastiDip the wheels.

Attachment 359732

Attachment 359730

Attachment 359731
Man those look nice. My concern with Plasti dip on the wheels was will it scratch or peel off when off road? Have you had any issues with yours off road?
Old 08-29-2012, 11:05 AM
JK Junkie

Man those look nice. My concern with Plasti dip on the wheels was will it scratch or peel off when off road? Have you had any issues with yours off road?
I tried plastidip first and it peeled off for me. Not permanent enough for wheels imo but I know some love it. Another thing, I paid like $30 at Monroe to have my wheels balanced with sticky weights on inside vs painting over the ones on outside.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:11 AM
JK Freak

Roger that. Pa in law has an inside connection at tire store where he retired from I'll definetly check into that...

Quick Reply: bedline or plati dip wheels?