Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Best Tires

Old 01-23-2017, 11:08 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Tires

Have an 09 X looking to switch the wheels out soon. It's my daily driver. I hardly ever do off roading, but I love the look of the bigger off road wheels. Anyone have a favorite wheel you're using? Do the bigger wheels have you fighting the steering wheel at all when you're driving? And where's the best place to buy wheels for the jeeps? Not looking for anything that's gonna break the bank. Maybe 700-800 max. Thanks!
Old 01-23-2017, 07:05 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So are you looking for wheels or tires?
Old 01-23-2017, 07:44 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

I assume you mean bigger tires. You'll get tons of opinions on this. Kinda like asking what is the best oil to use. I have duratrac and really like them. Sounds like you need to do some research on tire size and related impacts. If you go up in tire size, speedometer and shift points will be off, so you'll want to also invest in a programmer. Go too big and you'll have other changes to make in the suspension. Oh yeah, and if you have crappy gearing, you will notice a drop off in the felt power. As for where to buy, I've had great luck with simpletire.com. Others have praised discountiresdirect.com.
Old 01-24-2017, 05:40 AM
JK Newbie

You have asked a question with a never ending number of answers. There are so many different sizes tread types and brands of tires that people will recommend. There are also tons of other things to consider when putting larger tires onto your vehicle like clearance and gearing to regain the lost power.

But to answer your question as best as possible though, up to 35's you are pretty ok with steering the Jeep down the road. And for someone who just wants a bigger tire but doesn't wheel I would recommend good all terrain like the Goodyear Duratrac in a 285/75r17. But you are not going to find any larger size tire for under $1200 unless you are buying some used.

Here is a link to the tire I mentioned.
Ratings, reviews and specifications for Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac tires
Old 01-24-2017, 09:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just installed a set of Cooper Discovery AT3's in size 315/75 r 16 and they seem pretty good so far. Bought them through Discount tire direct and after the experience I had with them I will never shop anywhere else. Phenomenal customer service and prices.
Old 01-24-2017, 01:40 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Chewmeista
I just installed a set of Cooper Discovery AT3's in size 315/75 r 16 and they seem pretty good so far. Bought them through Discount tire direct and after the experience I had with them I will never shop anywhere else. Phenomenal customer service and prices.
did you add a lift?
Old 01-24-2017, 02:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have only had experience with Duratracs and have nothing bad to say about them. I put them on my daughters JK which I drove quite a bit in all weather and I will going with them or the new Nitto Ridge Grapplers (very close to Duratracs) on my JK this spring. The only thing that makes me think twice on the Grapplers is they aren't severe weather rated like the Duratracs I suggest you look at what your needs are (geo location, use, noise, etc) and read the reviews on tires that interest you and even better find people around you and catch a ride in their rig for first hand input.
I haven't quite caught on to the whole Discount Tire thing as others have, just haven't seen the supposed great pricing that is claimed without having to combo with wheels. They are quick to response on quotes and provide great info but I can do equally as well on pricing locally and even recently found another online retailer with far better pricing with free shipping that I might just be trying out if the separate tire price from them and install cost at a local installer beats my normal go to guy.
Old 01-24-2017, 02:20 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Well I had a set of 4 duratracs delivered to a local installer from simpletire.com for $605. I paid the local installer $70 to mount and balance. The local installers I called couldn't come close to matching the simpletire price.
Old 01-24-2017, 03:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mijxof
did you add a lift?
I added the ome 2" hd lift
Old 01-24-2017, 05:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
Well I had a set of 4 duratracs delivered to a local installer from simpletire.com for $605. I paid the local installer $70 to mount and balance. The local installers I called couldn't come close to matching the simpletire price.
Dang, how long ago was that and what size Duratrac did you get. 285/70/17" (33's) are currently running $290(tire only)or more from all parties I have seen.

Quick Reply: Best Tires