Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Buying guide help! Rubicon worth it?

Old 02-28-2011, 08:12 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Buying guide help! Rubicon worth it?

So here's my little back story before my question. I lived in Utah for 3 yrs and was able to get down to "the mother land" aka Moab, a couple times. My buddies and I rented a "semi-modified Rubicon" 2dr and fell in love with crawling. Well I have moved back to Wisconsin and basically have no places to go to off-road or crawl. I am now in the market for a new vehicle and I still want a Jeep. Particularly a 4dr JK.
Now my question, Is it worth spending the extra $ for the Rubicon options,
In example:
-Dana 44 heavy-duty solid front and rear
-Tru-Lock, front & rear electronic remote locking
-Axle Ratio 4.10:1 (not 3.21:1)
-Rock-Trac NV241
-Sway Bar disconnect (electronically)

Now I do plan on doing some off-roading and or crawling some how some way. I also plan on making my way back down to Moab at least once a year. So I wonder what is my best option to get the most for my money. Will I be happy without the Rubicon goodies, or am I dumb not to get the Rubicon.
I appreciate any info and opinions you guys can share
Old 02-28-2011, 08:21 PM
JK Junkie

If you can swing it get the rubi man you won't be disappointed. My first jk was an x and it got totalled in an accident. Next up my rubi and I love it
Old 02-28-2011, 08:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a 2009 2dr X and now I want a 4dr Rubi 2 years later. If you get the biggest and best to start there will be no regrets. Good Luck!
Old 02-28-2011, 08:26 PM
JK Junkie

I say it would be worth it if you had the money right now, go for it. How far are you planning on modding it?
Old 02-28-2011, 08:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

As stated, if you have the $$ get the Rubi
Old 02-28-2011, 08:45 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I own a JKU Rubicon. I would buy a 1 year old used Rubicon from Carmax before settling on a new sport or sahara. The T-case and lockers out of the box are worth the money. The better stock tires don't hurt either while your saving up for the big mods!

remember that you can off-road a rubicon because of the rock rails on the side and off-road tires that come with it. Others are ok for mild wheeling, but they get stuck quickly in even the mildest snow wheeling.

Good luck!
Old 02-28-2011, 08:55 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by matt852
I say it would be worth it if you had the money right now, go for it. How far are you planning on modding it?
Well I'd like to do a lift, bigger wheels and tires first. Then eventually bumpers and a wench.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:38 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Will you be happy without a rubicon? Yes.
Will you be happy with a rubicon? Yes.

-Dana 44 heavy-duty solid front and rear
(bigger shafts and bigger/thicker gears - but same weak housings as the non-rubi's. Plan on the same strength upgrades)

-Tru-Lock, front & rear electronic remote locking
(quite a few issues with these. Once your dealership stops replacing, plan on upgrading to a 35sp arb and adding 35sp shafts)

-Axle Ratio 4.10:1
(non issue, since pretty much everyone is re-gearing into the 4.88-5.38 range for the new tires)

-Sway Bar disconnect
(people really are getting lazy. Very expensive to replace, and lots of rubi owners are ditching these in favor of manual discos)

-Rock-Trac NV241
(4:1 is much better for crawling than the 2.7x on the non-rubi's. Worth the extra cost for a rubi? Dunno...)

Which is the better way to go?
Depends on your offroading and future upgrade plans. Heavy foot? Do you see yourself on 37's or bigger? Have you read through enough axle threads to be considering a PR44 or a 60? Does an Atlas make you drool? Have you looked into the aftermarket locker options? Are you aware of the deficiencies of the rubicon axle in this area? And how inner sleeves would affect that choice for a rubicon?

My opinion:
If you want an 'out of the box' rig to get you offroad, the rubicon is for you. If you plan on building to suit your needs, you will be better off starting with an x/sport and adding stronger aftermarket parts. You'll end up with a better rig for less money.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:16 AM
JK Freak

Well, and I am sure to be hated on here for this answer, but if you have to ask - a Rubi is absolutely not needed. That doesn't mean you shouldn't buy one - but if you are asking, you don't need it. The base model is very capable off road, and fine for 99% of what most people do. Now I have to say that I have a rubi, but that is mainly because it was just a bit more expensive at the time. Do I personally use or need the locking heavy duty axles front and rear, disconnecting sway bar? Well, I have used them but I went well out of my way just to do it, needed not for me or most people. If you are buying it for the sticker, they sell those cheap - I took mine off mine because I liked the look of the hood without.

If you are wondering, you don't need it. You are asking a very biased crowd on here, with a lot of people that use the capabilities every weekend - but they didn't have to ask. I don't know what the price difference is now, but I would guess close to ten grand, and that is a pretty steep price to pay for something you might use someday. The sport model wrangler is still a very capable off road machine.

That said, if the cash isn't a problem - get the Rubi. That way you won't be disappointed now or later.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:20 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks guys for responding! First off It's pretty clear that I'm a NEWB here and in the arena of off-roading so that is why I ask the question. I have heard 2 story's that the rubicon would be good and reliable for what I wanna do and I have heard that they are weak and why spend the extra money when I'm gonna have to spend money replacing and or upgrading these particular parts.
So I realize that I'm going to hear both sides, pro and con, but that's why I posted so I can get hopefully good info to make my decision when that day comes. I plan on contuning to look through the forums to get as much knowledge as possible.
Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Buying guide help! Rubicon worth it?