Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Can Jeep Make a fuel efficient engine?

Old 04-29-2008, 04:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mpg

I only drive my Jeep 2500 miles / year and it gets 10-12 MPG...
(I drive a tahoe the rest of the time)
My boat gets 1 MPG, and the jet ski 2 MPG, so when you look at it that way 15 aint that bad!

BUT in the interest of fuel economy.... I wouldn't mind taking this to work:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Volt

the first "eco-friendly" car that doesn't make you look like a chode...
Old 04-29-2008, 07:27 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LOFTY
Hell, stop moaning, in the UK we pay £1.21 per litre, thats $2.42 per litre, and with the diesel engine, (and the only thing changed is winch bumper and Pro comp tyres, which are the same diameter as stock), i got 19.7 mpg the other day motorway driving.
And just to rub salt into the wounds, BP and Shell have had record profits for the first quarter, with BPs up 48%.
Actually you really pay about the same for a gallon of gas in England as we do here in the US. The other six dollars a gallon that you pay is because you have an oppressive government.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

if mine had a v-8 it would get a lot better mpg
Old 04-30-2008, 08:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Maybe someone should come out with some bolt on aerodynamic parts.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:56 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Qrex
I will give you one.....

A very weak US dollar further crippled by a very low interest rate...

Negative, even a couple years ago when the dollar was strong they were still driving the price of crude up. There's always an excuse for it too. Instability in oil producing region, hurricane, dust storm, supply and demand, tight supplies. It's all BS.
Umm, positive....Welcome to MacroEconomics 101.....
Plus, war is a dandy way to cause upheaval in todays Global Markets...

Originally Posted by Black08X
Actually you really pay about the same for a gallon of gas in England as we do here in the US. The other six dollars a gallon that you pay is because you have an oppressive government.

What a silly thing to say; just because England has a different Tax structure than ours does not make thier Government "Oppressive"...

Look, Jeep is gonna eventually get with the program and make more efficient engines in response to recent economic conditions, but it can't happen overnight...... They understand that to survive, they must adapt, but they can't turn things around on a dime as much as we would like them to...
Old 04-30-2008, 12:20 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Qrex

What a silly thing to say; just because England has a different Tax structure than ours does not make thier Government "Oppressive"...

There's nothing silly about it man, when you pay twice as much for a gallon of gas as you pay for the actual gallon itself because of high taxes, that's oppressive. When a government takes money from your pocket on that scale or any scale they leave you with less options in your own life. Obviously we all understand the need for taxes but in Europe as a whole you have reached a point where the government controls your lives by virtue of over taxation. It happens to a certain extent here too.

I know that England is considering a tax just to be on the street and they plan to enforce it by putting GPS tracking devices in all cars. You would then be taxed based on the streets you drive on and the miles you drive. I guess that 200% petrol tax isn't enough to take care of your roads.

Yeah, you poor Brits live under an oppressive regieme, you just don't realize it because they've done it with that nice pleasent well mannered English way of doing things.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:49 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default ain't gonna happen

Fellers I don't see hemi's happening. The CAFE standards are getting ready to be really forced on Chrysler and the other auto companies after being ignored by the repub's for such a long time. Expect to see the standards tightened up in the future to where we will be fondly looking back on the JK and its abilities. Take a 2dr KIA sized vehicle cut the top and doors off add a 8 hp briggs, build it in a tax free foreign plant - a 45mpg ass kickin' 4wd.... we'll all love it! price it at 45 grand, make sure it won't run if a firearm is within 50 feet and that will be the perfect government designed 4wd; place your orders NOW ! LOL

Last edited by TINMAN080; 04-30-2008 at 08:55 PM.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

what is it with everybody and these damn HEMIs? They aren't that great. I have personally seen a Magnum 360 walk a HEMI like a scalded dog at the track in comparatively the same truck.

IF you want a good, strong, reliable V8 from Chrysler (if thats possible) the 360 or IMO the 318 is the way to go. I wish they would make a 318 Wrangler from the factory. It would have enough umpf to get it rolling and still plenty of power across the board.

Now what I really want is a Chevy 5.3L or 5.7L in a JK. Bowtie V8s are really really where its at.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:28 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Black08X
I am not from England but I think it's a pretty cheap and insulting statement unless you can explain your statement further... Especially since historically GB has been such a faithful ally to our country.
Old 05-01-2008, 04:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Larrysdad
I love the new JK Jeeps. I just cannot believe how poor the mileage is for such a small and low horsepower 6 cylinder. This is not a large and heavy vehicle. Does anyone know if 2009 offers a fuel efficient engine?
2010 maybe late 2009 new Phoenix Engines are supposed to be out.

Quick Reply: Can Jeep Make a fuel efficient engine?