Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Can Jeep Make a fuel efficient engine?

Old 07-21-2008, 01:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pearl-drum-man
Ever seen a Compass?
I hope the Compass is not the direction we are going to take.
Old 07-21-2008, 02:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

I think for over 2 tons the 3.7 in the WK I had got good gas mileage...23-24mpg on highway and 19 around town, not bad since is only had 210hp and 235lb ft torque
Old 08-03-2008, 07:16 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe Crappler should take a look at the Go-Devil and Hurricane 4 and 6 and redesign them with fuel injection etc.
Old 08-17-2008, 03:43 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
With a GVRW of 5400 smackers, it AIN'T light. It also certainly isn't the most aerodynamic thing in the world. Since the shape is obvious to a blind man and the weight rating sticker is right on the driver door area, I would say it's painfully obvious those complaining about mileage had their face hangin out when they bought. Shouldda got a Toyota.
Redneck- A good comparison for these guys would be to buy 2 Civics, Corollas, what have you, and hook them together with a tow bar, put 4 people in the back one with luggage. Mount a piece of plywood upright on the front of the first one. NOW start the engine on the front one and head out. I would be willing to bet I will past the first gas station before this pile would.....
Old 08-17-2008, 03:43 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
With a GVRW of 5400 smackers, it AIN'T light. It also certainly isn't the most aerodynamic thing in the world. Since the shape is obvious to a blind man and the weight rating sticker is right on the driver door area, I would say it's painfully obvious those complaining about mileage had their face hangin out when they bought. Shouldda got a Toyota.
Redneck- A good comparison for these guys would be to buy 2 Civics, Corollas, what have you, and hook them together with a tow bar, put 4 people in the back one with luggage. Mount a piece of plywood upright on the front of the first one. NOW start the engine on the front one and head out. I would be willing to bet I will pass the first gas station before this pile would.....
Old 08-17-2008, 05:07 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TINMAN080
Redneck- A good comparison for these guys would be to buy 2 Civics, Corollas, what have you, and hook them together with a tow bar, put 4 people in the back one with luggage. Mount a piece of plywood upright on the front of the first one. NOW start the engine on the front one and head out. I would be willing to bet I will pass the first gas station before this pile would.....
That was a good one.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Black08X
Negative, even a couple years ago when the dollar was strong they were still driving the price of crude up. There's always an excuse for it too. Instability in oil producing region, hurricane, dust storm, supply and demand, tight supplies. It's all BS.

<snipped> Everybody can still get gas whenever they want, 24 / 7 --- 365. That's doesn't sound like a supply problem due to high demand to me. More like pure BS excuse to gouge us at the pump.
Negative, the rip off starts with WS investors. The gas companies make about 4% profit at the pump. Most businesses would not survive at that rate unless they had large volume sales.

The feds get about 17% at the pump, and on top of that are state taxes plus city in some areas. After all is said and done the feds get more money from the gas companies, get this, 50% of any year end profit.

The feds get rich, about 4 to 6 times richer than anyone else and how do they do this?

By charging you directly, it comes out of your pocket, your paycheck. Direct taxation, multiple times. SO they get 5 bucks or more for every 1 buck the gas company gets, but they do their best to redirect the anger to the gas companies to keep the focus off their greedy pockets.

Who elects these people?
Old 08-18-2008, 06:05 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by NE Wrangling
well what is the concept jeep that get's 100MPG? If that was in the Wrangler it probably get somewhere around 40 MPG with the wieght difference so that being said the answer to your question is yes. They could do it if they had the incentive to do so.
Gotta agree with you. They could do it if they wanted to. Big oil is in control and its not in their best interest to let auto companies put efficient engines on the market. You can argue about cafe standards, diesel emissions in certain states or whatever. It doesn't pass the sniff test...
1978 Diesel VW Rabbits got 40+ mpg... 30 years later jeeps get 18MPG. I smell BS!!! I love my Jeep and will continue to pour fuel in it, but you can't tell me that engine technology has gone backwards in the last 30 years. I don't have the answer, but we are getting screwed because they think we can afford it. There's already members on this forum with Diesel JK's that get twice the MPG us us in America.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default gas efficiency

I like that feller who said a chevy motor would be good in his jeep. It would probably not get any better fuel mileage. (i just like them bowties) You got tall gears 3:77's 4:11's 4:88's and 5:13's you got a 5500 lb vehicle and not even lock out hubs on the front axles. My F150 gets 10 mpg. My Dodge Ramcharger with a 318 got 10 mpg. I am getting 50% better mileage, with my JK. Im loving that. I'm thinking that is more efficient than my 5.0 Ford engine.

It ain't fair comparing the fuel mileage to a damn toyota camry or a VW rabbit. They don't pull in a mudhole nor pull ya up a rock climb either.

E85 fuel costs about 60 cents per gal less around here. E85 burns cleaner. AMERICAN farmers and distillers are making the profits, not rag head arabs. Just as soon as my waranty runs out I getting one of those flex fuel kits so I can burn E85. I understand I'm supposed to get a couple of MPG less, but it'd be worth it to me to quit paying the ragheads. I'm thinking that is a good idea.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:16 PM
JK Super Freak

E85 makes 20% more CO2 then fossil fuels, drives up the price of corn and all related food products including milk for children. Nice call, reminds me of Marie, "let them eat cake".

Quick Reply: Can Jeep Make a fuel efficient engine?