Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Can Jeep Make a fuel efficient engine?

Old 08-18-2008, 09:37 PM
ksk
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bismark
yes they do it's a 4cyl 2.8 litre VM Motory CRD I have one from april 2007 and getting between 500 - 550km till the fuel light comes on which is about 10.3 km per litre. But with $1.75 per litre here in Australia this is still expencive. Frinds from the Cold Coast Jeepers claim that there getting 650Km out of there Tanks (66 Litre). The Engine is quite good 130 KW and 410 N better than the petrol off road due to more torque.
I got a 2 door CRD auto with a chip and i got down to 7.8litres per 100 km/s ...before that i was running 9.5 litres per 100 kms....depends on how you drive it...

Also the Patriot comes with the 3 litre CRD and that gets 6.5 litres per 100 km/s... and has 510torque as standard.....Chrysler should of used that motor in the wrangler...

KSK
Old 08-20-2008, 06:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default more CO2????

Originally Posted by CIJeep
E85 makes 20% more CO2 then fossil fuels, drives up the price of corn and all related food products including milk for children. Nice call, reminds me of Marie, "let them eat cake".
Where did you get that information on more CO2 production? Alcohol actually burns cleaner. As far as driving up the price of corn, Don't you think higher prices on diesel and fertilizer might have had more to do with that than the use of corn to make E85? Very soon the distillers will be using other sources. Corn is used now but you can distill alcohol from any grain. Our country has in the past given surplus grains to other countries. Potatoes and sugar cane are two other sources that would be quite feasible for using to manufacture alcohol. All fruits are good candidates for fermenting and distilling alcohol. Wood is even an alternative to corn for fermenting and distilling purposes. It is not like the let them eat the little cakes that Marie Antoinette is credited to have said.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:33 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The only thing not introduced so far in this thread is the ''who really killed Jack Kennedy'' conspiracy discussion....Would somebody please pass judgement on that so we can MOVE ON?
Old 08-21-2008, 04:29 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by hawgrider1200
Where did you get that information on more CO2 production? Alcohol actually burns cleaner. As far as driving up the price of corn, Don't you think higher prices on diesel and fertilizer might have had more to do with that than the use of corn to make E85? Very soon the distillers will be using other sources. Corn is used now but you can distill alcohol from any grain. Our country has in the past given surplus grains to other countries. Potatoes and sugar cane are two other sources that would be quite feasible for using to manufacture alcohol. All fruits are good candidates for fermenting and distilling alcohol. Wood is even an alternative to corn for fermenting and distilling purposes. It is not like the let them eat the little cakes that Marie Antoinette is credited to have said.

Ummm....FOXNEWS.COM, CNN.COM, the TV, the newspaper. It's everywhere, man. It's a fact. Ethanol causes almost three times as much CO2 as carbon based fuels. It's been in the news a long time now. It makes sense, too, because it's true. HOWEVER.....I cannot disagree with your contention that we need to get out from under middle eastern oil. We have GOT to drill ANWAR, the mid west, the gulf AND Atlantic coasts and anywhere else we can. Do some research on ethanol, you'll see. Just google it. All kinda stuff about it will come up. It's out there. I didn't believe it either at first, but it's true and once you read all the ins and outs you'll agree, too. Ethanol is a waste as a mass fuel.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:31 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by TINMAN080
The only thing not introduced so far in this thread is the ''who really killed Jack Kennedy'' conspiracy discussion....Would somebody please pass judgement on that so we can MOVE ON?
LMAO. It was Lee Harvey Oswald....remember???
Old 08-21-2008, 05:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Low HP and heavy vehicle= Poor MPG's.
I think Chrysler did this to market the "lifetime" drive train warranty.
If they put the weekest, underpowered engine they have in these
jeeps then they don't have to worry about breaking driveline
components.
Also, the inline six was only offered in the wrangler so by using
a "minivan" engine they save money on tooling and parts.
JMO
jeff
Old 08-21-2008, 06:20 AM
JK Freak

gas milage is a stupid number to look at....what other car can u rip everything off of? exactly now buy a JK
Old 08-21-2008, 07:03 AM
JK Jedi

I don't think they get poor mileage overall. I think most of the mileage numbers are quite good for the vehicle. I believe that Forbes article backs that up.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:53 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
I don't think they get poor mileage overall. I think most of the mileage numbers are quite good for the vehicle. I believe that Forbes article backs that up.
AMEN TO THAT!
Old 08-21-2008, 05:10 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 08red6spd
As everyone said aerodynamics are the biggest factor. I also have a '91 firebird w/ the 5.0L v8 throttle body engine(very basic fuel injection) and I get 26-28mpg highway in that car because the drag coefficient is so low and it has 3.08 gears, that it basically idles at 65mph
In 2001 moving from central CA. to central WA. my wife drove her 91 Trans AM with the big engine and I drove my 98 Wrangler and she beat me hands down.

Quick Reply: Can Jeep Make a fuel efficient engine?