Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Catch cans

Old 01-01-2019, 09:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Catch cans

Who has one on their 3.8? What’s the best kind? This is new to me. I consume a quart every thousand miles.
Old 01-02-2019, 07:31 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Mishimoto makes them for the JK 3.6L and 3.8L.

I don't have one installed. Personally, I feel they're all over-priced, especially the Mishimoto for what they are and if I were to add one, I would likely build one myself. To me the key features of an oil catch can are the size so you're not constantly having to empty it, and ease of emptying it when it does get full. Other than that, it's just a can which works on the premise of gravity, where you can just throw some steel wool in the bottom of the can if you want a "baffled" one.

I've been tossing around the idea of a DIY oil catch can. I've been thinking of starting with a plumbing pipe with a couple end caps (think pipe bomb), and mounting a couple nipples on the pipe as shown in the video. The part I'm trying to figure out is that I would like to mount the nipples near the top and be able to just twist and unscrew the bottom pipe section for ease of emptying it, instead of monkeying around with tools to remove the hose and any bracket connections.

DIY oil catch can.

Last edited by Rednroll; 01-02-2019 at 07:42 AM.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I bought the big Moroso one.
https://www.moroso.com/moroso-shop-browse/60000/6006/
Cheaper than Mishimoto’s, mounts just fine and easy to follow directions. It has a nice little ball valve at the bottom to drain it. After I took my throttle body off for a cleaning I was aghast at how much oil was inside the intake manifold.
Old 01-02-2019, 12:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Thanks for the info folks.

Are you finding liquids in your catch can? Does it actually work?
Old 01-02-2019, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Seizer
It has a nice little ball valve at the bottom to drain it.
This is the part which I don't like when I looked at oil catch cans. Maybe there's something I'm not understanding which is very possible. However, my thought is that the catch can is typically mounted near the top of the engine level. You unscrew the valve, and oil pours out and downward, where you need a bucket or something underneath it to catch the oil, all while hoping the oil pouring out isn't splattering all over any parts in the nearby vicinity underneath it. Plus the valve is on the bottom of the can ;which depending on where you mounted it and the space, could be difficult to reach with your hand from the top of the engine. That all seems like a PIA to me, if that's how it works.
Old 01-02-2019, 07:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
This is the part which I don't like when I looked at oil catch cans. Maybe there's something I'm not understanding which is very possible. However, my thought is that the catch can is typically mounted near the top of the engine level. You unscrew the valve, and oil pours out and downward, where you need a bucket or something underneath it to catch the oil, all while hoping the oil pouring out isn't splattering all over any parts in the nearby vicinity underneath it. Plus the valve is on the bottom of the can ;which depending on where you mounted it and the space, could be difficult to reach with your hand from the top of the engine. That all seems like a PIA to me, if that's how it works.
Not at all a PITA to drain. I usually get a red solo cup and drain right into it with ease.

As to OPs question. Yes I am getting some oily stuff out. Not much I’d say maybe 1/2 to 1/4 ounce at most after about 1000 miles.
Old 01-03-2019, 06:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Excellent. I’ll order that one today.

Old 01-03-2019, 07:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Ordered. Wish I did this when it was new. Ih well. Better late than never. At almost 140k miles, it runs fine and this will only help it stay that way. It does ping at times under load amd especially on hot days though. Sounds like a can of pennies. Not always, but occasionally.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:26 PM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by spartan99
Ordered. Wish I did this when it was new. Ih well. Better late than never. At almost 140k miles, it runs fine and this will only help it stay that way. It does ping at times under load amd especially on hot days though. Sounds like a can of pennies. Not always, but occasionally.
Question first...have you changed your PCV valve out? It is super cheap to change, and easy to do. Mine was less than $10, but that was over 5 years ago. It's right on top of the engine, but can be a little bit of a bear to get out without the proper tools. I was consuming a quart of oil every 1000 miles or so when I first bought my '07 Wrangler. I think that's why I got such a good deal on it! Once I changed out the PCV valve, I haven't lost a drop of oil between oil changes. I believe the catch cans are really designed for higher performance engines. The engines vaporize the oil, so a PCV valve won't catch it. Therefore it ends up accumulating into the catch can. I run one on my 440 stroker in my Jeep SRT8. I have a few tablespoons of oil every 1000 miles or so.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by jsukey
Question first...have you changed your PCV valve out? It is super cheap to change, and easy to do. Mine was less than $10, but that was over 5 years ago. It's right on top of the engine, but can be a little bit of a bear to get out without the proper tools. I was consuming a quart of oil every 1000 miles or so when I first bought my '07 Wrangler. I think that's why I got such a good deal on it! Once I changed out the PCV valve, I haven't lost a drop of oil between oil changes. I believe the catch cans are really designed for higher performance engines. The engines vaporize the oil, so a PCV valve won't catch it. Therefore it ends up accumulating into the catch can. I run one on my 440 stroker in my Jeep SRT8. I have a few tablespoons of oil every 1000 miles or so.
What PCV valve did you use? I've changed mine twice. Once, consumption was reduced to 1/2 quart per 1k, but then soon went back up. The second change had no effect. Both times, the old PCV rattled when shaken and appeared to be fully functional. I'd try it again if there was a different brand or revised design that showed promise.

Quick Reply: Catch cans