Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Choice between different philosophies - sahara vs rubicon

Old 08-09-2014, 07:49 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Over here, we have a similar problem. Using larger wheels or lifting are illegal, unless you spend time, money and patience on getting through various checks and receiving the permits.
I did that, so the 35"s appear in the license, and so is the total permissible height (which, because of a clerks' mistake, is enough for 6" lift...).
However, aftermarket bumpers, winch, rock rails, headlight etc', are not (yet...) considered as a change. Can you change those in Italy?
Old 08-09-2014, 08:46 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Omar Brannstrom
I think auto is better for advanced drivers that drives in advanced terrain

It seems that pro drivers can have better results with an auto

Please read what I wrote here https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-t...-307909/page7/ and see alot of videos that I linked to, there are a lot of rock crawlers and I think Eddie and all his buddies have a big knowledge about JKs.
On the 3.8L, the power spacing over the 4 gears wasn't very good, and manual did allow more accurate and delicate control in tricky situations.
The 3.6L is stronger and the power is nicely spred over 5 gears -- it equals a manual in controlability, and IMO is more convenient and more fun in the trickiest situations.
It seems to me that some people carry their opinion about the older engine/gearbox to the meaningfully improved new ones.

Last edited by GJeep; 08-09-2014 at 12:29 PM.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GJeep
IMO, the two most important factors are tire type (and pressure) and driver skill.
Driver's skill above all :-)

There is a pleasure in the pathless woods...
Old 08-09-2014, 12:40 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GJeep
Over here, we have a similar problem. Using larger wheels or lifting are illegal, unless you spend time, money and patience on getting through various checks and receiving the permits. I did that, so the 35"s appear in the license, and so is the total permissible height (which, because of a clerks' mistake, is enough for 6" lift...). However, aftermarket bumpers, winch, rock rails, headlight etc', are not (yet...) considered as a change. Can you change those in Italy?
None of the items you mention are fine with laws except rock rails...

You wrote "(yet...)" because you're afraid that something will change in the US?

If so, it's the end of the worldwide market... :-(

There is a pleasure in the pathless woods...
Old 08-10-2014, 01:07 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Brizio81
None of the items you mention are fine with laws except rock rails...

You wrote "(yet...)" because you're afraid that something will change in the US?

If so, it's the end of the worldwide market... :-(
Not in the US, I am in Israel.
The banning of steel bumpers is being considered, because plastic ones are safer for pedestrians.
Even adding reverse lights is illegal, because "other drivers might be blinded". No offroad lights are allowed, unless covered when on roads.
Luckily, the law says nothing about replacing headlights, so I had the miserable stock headlights replaced with LED TruckLites. They're very good and spread the light quite wide, so there's no rush to add lights.

Just so you don't feel you can mod nothing... :
e.g.:

The doors won't stay open. Solved it by installing Star Fab 'Smart Door Stops' (requires cutting) - Link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSSHhGyyzdg

Link:
The rear seat is too upright and therefore uncomfortable. Simple brackets under its front 'legs' make a big difference.

Last edited by GJeep; 08-11-2014 at 08:00 AM.

Quick Reply: Choice between different philosophies - sahara vs rubicon