Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Chrysler Rules out individual brand sales

Old 01-14-2009, 04:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep rumoured to be sold to Renault..

read about this in the news today, that Renault-Nissan is in talks to buy the iconic Jeep Brand from Renault-Nissan. Any comments?

I did not know that Renault-Nissan was the same company? If this happens, I'd be interested in knowing how the changeover would work in terms of sales, service, warranty, etc...
Old 01-14-2009, 04:43 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by redsfan
read about this in the news today, that Renault-Nissan is in talks to buy the iconic Jeep Brand from Renault-Nissan. Any comments?

I did not know that Renault-Nissan was the same company? If this happens, I'd be interested in knowing how the changeover would work in terms of sales, service, warranty, etc...
So Renault owns Jeep? I thought it was Chrysler.

The Renault-Nissan alliance did a LOT of good for both companies. Nissan is now known as the "muscle car" maker of Japan, compared to Honda/Toyota/Subaru/Mitsubishi, and their engines are well-respected in the tuner community. I don't have much knowledge of Renault, honestly, other than what I've read in Car & Driver magazine.

Having said all that, I would really hate to see Jeep fall into foreign hands (again).

If they do sell the Jeep brand, though, I think the new owners will be very reluctant to change much about the Wrangler. EVERYONE (even non-Jeepers) knows that Wrangler owners are a traditional bunch that doesn't embrace change. So, when they plan the next-gen Wrangler, it will NOT be an XTerra or Murano clone - you can be absolutely sure about that.

It WOULD be pretty sweet to see a specially-tuned 3.5 or 4.0 V6 from Nissan under the hood, though.

Edit: Being completely honest about this, the more I think about it, and the likely treatment of the brand if it were under new ownership, I think I would prefer seeing Jeep under Nissan ownership than under GM or Ford... I just don't have any faith that GM or Ford would do anything worthwhile with the brand.

Last edited by MJS_Jeep_888; 01-14-2009 at 04:45 AM.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Wouldn't exactly say Nissan = quality.....BUT I guess it could be worse. For me i'd say it's a pretty lateral move. Nissan dealerships, that I have been to in the past, haven't been any better than jeep dealerships around here.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MJS_Jeep_888

It WOULD be pretty sweet to see a specially-tuned 3.5 or 4.0 V6 from Nissan under the hood, though.

I sure hope so, cause the Xterra is severely underpowered. I test drove one of those things a few years back, and that thing was ridiculous as far as power. Maybe they have changed it some with the new gen X.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:52 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by sukemecuke
I sure hope so, cause the Xterra is severely underpowered. I test drove one of those things a few years back, and that thing was ridiculous as far as power. Maybe they have changed it some with the new gen X.
Don't get me wrong - I'm really not much of a Nissan fan, but I've heard very good things about their V6 line-up in the Maxima/Z and in their Infiniti make. I DO realize that doesn't necessarily translate to good truck engines, though.

I guess what I'm saying is it shows that they're willing to spend the engineering time and money to develop something worthwhile, whereas the recent (affordable) engine offerings from GM and Ford are laughable.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MJS_Jeep_888
Don't get me wrong - I'm really not much of a Nissan fan, but I've heard very good things about their V6 line-up in the Maxima/Z and in their Infiniti make. I DO realize that doesn't necessarily translate to good truck engines, though.

I guess what I'm saying is it shows that they're willing to spend the engineering time and money to develop something worthwhile, whereas the recent (affordable) engine offerings from GM and Ford are laughable.
No doubt at all. I have driven both a G35 Coupe and a 350Z and those things will def move. There is promise in their engines for sure. Hell look at what they are able to do with the GT-R. Nissan has shown it "has" capability, but that also comes with a price. I'd say if this deal is true and it does happen.......that if Nissan can improve the quality of the build of the JK while keeping the price(which is already stupid high) where it is, then it will be a big win in my book.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:09 AM
JK Freak

Nissan building Jeeps? I thik this could be a good thing... Throw an Endurance 5.6L in there, Mated witht the 5 speed auto, And were Good!

I had an 04 Titan before the Jeep, And i really regret selling it off! But i could not swing 2 payments...
Old 01-14-2009, 05:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

this would be very interesting if it did happen...not sure if this is all hype to entice another buyer for Jeep, but a story worth following for sure. I would also rather have a company like Nissan buy the brand over a GM or Ford..
Old 01-14-2009, 05:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Big A
Nissan building Jeeps? I thik this could be a good thing... Throw an Endurance 5.6L in there, Mated witht the 5 speed auto, And were Good!

I had an 04 Titan before the Jeep, And i really regret selling it off! But i could not swing 2 payments...
as long as they leave the manual as standard and auto as an option i'd be aight with that. To me any wrangler = manual tranny.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:24 AM
JK Junkie

Just did a little more research on this... Chrysler sales slumped 30% last year, and in the 2nd half of 2008, Chrysler burned through $9 BILLION.

Renault's president said that they won't consider a cash deal in this uncertain economic climate, so it seems like the talks may actually be for an alliance/merger, which makes a lot more sense if you think about it.

I mean, Chrysler's got to know that it's not going to dig itself out of its hole by selling off one of (if not the) hottest brands it has...

Quick Reply: Chrysler Rules out individual brand sales