Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Crap, I just just bought my dream baby, and now orders to hawaii. Dam salt air!!!!!

Old 12-06-2011, 06:09 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will regret not taking it. I just finished three years out there. Bought my JK a year ago. Had a blast. Peacock Flats and Kaena Point are some good places to check out wheh you get there.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:48 PM
JK Newbie

i don't hear of anyone that has problems with rust from the air. and i live 5 mins from the pacific as well so it shoudn't be a problem.i mean is everyones car in hawaii got rust damage? i thought there would be less with no salt on the roads. I also see people drive in ocean water they just got to hose it down. and it seems fine. i would take it forsure.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:41 PM
JK Junkie

Had my Jeep since '08...No rust issues here in my area...The Jeep just needs a good wash & wax every now and then. As far as the chassis, just need to give it a good spraying with a high pressure hose. There may be slight surface rust on the axles/frame but nothing that a spray from a rattle can couldn't fix....
Old 12-06-2011, 09:58 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A tad off subject but oh well.

I just got back from Honolulu on Sunday and I've never seen so many Jeeps in all my life!!! I was there 5 days and I bet you I saw more than 300 Jeeps!! It was nuts
Old 12-07-2011, 04:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hskr4x4
A tad off subject but oh well.

I just got back from Honolulu on Sunday and I've never seen so many Jeeps in all my life!!! I was there 5 days and I bet you I saw more than 300 Jeeps!! It was nuts
Having lived there (Oahu) for years, half of them were probably rentals.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

We split our time between Oregon and Maui. A Jeep is the perfect island vehicle. I agree with leaving the hard top and full doors behind. The Army & Marine bases are near the center of the island. You will likely see rain but it only lasts a few minutes and then it's dry immediately. Seat covers are a very good idea to cut down on UV damage. We generally have the top off for weeks at a time. Invest in security (Tuffy type) lock box. Good bumpers and rock rails will keep the tourist damage to a minimum. Storing your Jeep will do far more damage than the salt air will.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:51 PM
JK Newbie

Should i sweat the flame red paint with high uv
Old 12-08-2011, 02:01 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TealTj
Should i sweat the flame red paint with high uv
Your sweating is getting out of control. Salt air is one thing, but now UV paint damage, seriously?
Old 12-08-2011, 04:58 PM
JK Newbie

Default take it!

Originally Posted by TealTj
Guys, it took me years of waiting to get the perfect JK to me. A little back round, I have a TJ with over 200k miles, i have babied it and i have a tahoe that i have had since 98 with over 200k as well. i care for them.

Now, i have orders to Hawaii for four years. I will sell the tahoe, take the tj but the jk, i am seriously panic'ed. i want to keep it for years but the salt air. storage? take? ???????
Bud, I too am in the Coast Guard, like you I know all about the salt air. But, my good buddy is stationed in Hawaii with his jeep, the
salt air will not do that much damage to your jk out there, my buddy wheels the crap out of his jk, take it and enjoy it!
Old 12-08-2011, 05:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

coastie here as well, did 3 1/2 years in hawaii on the rush. No issues..

Quick Reply: Crap, I just just bought my dream baby, and now orders to hawaii. Dam salt air!!!!!