Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Dealer service scam?

Old 12-12-2011, 01:06 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer service scam?

When I bought the JK I was given 5 free oil changes at the dealer. I hate the dealer but hey, free is free. My wife took the jeep in for an oil change and to take care of an o2 sensor recall. I looked at the work order when I got home from work and saw that they replaced my passenger door rubber seal due to a leak, under warranty. That was news to me, I never saw even a tiny sign of any leak. There is a new weatherstrip on the door and it looks like it was put on right, but I can't help thinking there are some shenanigans going on here. Are they trying to scam some warranty money from the factory? Tech trying to get an extra hour flat rate?
Old 12-12-2011, 01:11 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by therunner
When I bought the JK I was given 5 free oil changes at the dealer. I hate the dealer but hey, free is free. My wife took the jeep in for an oil change and to take care of an o2 sensor recall. I looked at the work order when I got home from work and saw that they replaced my passenger door rubber seal due to a leak, under warranty. That was news to me, I never saw even a tiny sign of any leak. There is a new weatherstrip on the door and it looks like it was put on right, but I can't help thinking there are some shenanigans going on here. Are they trying to scam some warranty money from the factory? Tech trying to get an extra hour flat rate?
That is odd. The rubber seal is just a TSB an they shouldnt of done anything without you complaining about that issue first. Seems to me that dealership was under their warranty cap an had some extra dough to use up.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:14 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by EarlyJk
That is odd. The rubber seal is just a TSB an they shouldnt of done anything without you complaining about that issue first. Seems to me that dealership was under their warranty cap an had some extra dough to use up.
They never even told my wife they did the work, she just figured they changed the oil and did the reflash for the o2 sensor. No big deal I guess, but it kind of surprised me when I saw it.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:54 PM
JK Junkie

That's really weird. Especially that they didn't tell you
Old 12-12-2011, 02:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had my service floor replace those funky lug nut caps and little stuff because they noticed damage while I was under warranty. They did not ask, and I did not mind.

But the situation you describe is kind of weird, unless they noticed a damaged seal or wet carpet and were being strangely proactive.

Or somehow damaged it themselves.

I would ask them.

Last edited by Yankee; 12-12-2011 at 05:19 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:49 PM
JK Newbie

Here in Sunny South FL you can count on the fact that these dealerships are as crooked as they come. I'm sure somebody made some $$ off it. I guess I will have to stand there and watch them next time.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea they shouldnt have done work to your car without your approval. unless they messed something up and while working on your vehicle and then fixed it.

Trending Topics

Old 12-12-2011, 04:15 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Red08JK
yea they shouldnt have done work to your car without your approval. unless they messed something up and while working on your vehicle and then fixed it.
AND THEY SHOULD HAVE TOLD YOU...

Ask them why they did it... what if you develop a leak now?
Old 12-12-2011, 05:56 PM
JK Newbie

It was probably a RRT - Rapid Response Transmittal. they are required by Chrysler to do them when a vehicle comes in for service.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:15 PM
JK Freak

maybe they felt your floor and it was damp??? or maybe they just figured kill 2 birds with one stone. Your vin may fall in a range where they know bad seals have been used

Quick Reply: Dealer service scam?