Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

End of Days - How Would You Modify Your JK (play along)

Old 04-14-2009, 11:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default End of Days - How Would You Modify Your JK (play along)

So, I read a book called Epicenter by Joel Rosenberg and even watched some nutty End of Days documentary in relations to our today's events. I'm not a paranoid person, but it did run a thought through my head that in case of crazy traffic on the highways in trying to get somewhere, my JK, unlike most other vehicles has offroad capabilities. Plus, it's my only vehicle I own. Anyway, here's the game and rules (remember, this is just for fun and we all may get some cool ideas for future mods from this):

HYPOTHETICALLY, there's nuclear fallout. The safe zones are northern areas (Montana for example). Highway traffic coming from everywhere is blocked because of the overwhelming capacity of cars. However, there are a multitude of dirt roads that only capable vehicles can take and conquer and be able to get to safety. These roads can obtain any sort of off-road obstacle we know of to date from the basic gravel road to some hairy climbs and descents.

You have a Jeep JK (it can be whatever model you already own). But it's bone stock as if you just bought it from the dealership. At this point, who cares about money. You know you need to equip your vehicle with whatever you can in order to get from where you are to the safe zone.

What modifications would you make to your JK?
Old 04-14-2009, 11:34 PM
JK Super Freak

I'll go first...

I have a 2dr JK X
- 35's w/ 3" or 4" lift kit (coils, track bars, disconnects, control arms, brake lines, drop pitman)
- Custom duel Gerry can holder. Put the tire in the back
- Winch w/ front & rear steel bumpers
- Extra axle shafts for a d30 & d44 and spare driveshafts
- A bunch of tools
- CB radio & Paper Map (Fallout/EMP's may affect GPS)
- Auxillary fog lights w/ Optima duel battery tray

not sure what else at the moment....
Old 04-14-2009, 11:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

I LOVE these end of the world scenarios.

I'm somewhat of a survivalist myself so I'll play along.

First off, I would go with some run-flat 33s and a modese lift - you're going to need reliability. Next, in a perfect world, I would take the Euro diesel version. Gasoline has a very limited shelf life without stabilization. Otherwise, you can buy gasoline stabilizer. Next, I would go with a roof rack and trailer for my BOB, storage foods, and general 'get out of dodge' stuff. You're also going to need to consider a lot of fuel.

You'll need a radio - probably a CB to stay in contact with your survival retreat.

Next, I would modify some traction blocks to hang over the side and rear windows (maybe front too) to protect against riots and roaming zombies. I think zombies climb well so an unprotected soft top is probably a nogo.

After hunting and fishing equipment, food and general camping stuff, think long term. Get a stove that can burn normal gasoline to cook over. The trailer should be loaded with long-lasting foodstuffs, fuel, seeds (for gardening), tools, basic spare parts for the Jeep and basic hand-powered tools of your trade for rebuilding after the apocalypse: if you're a farmer, a old fashioned plow and extra seeds; a welder, a DC welding kit; an electronic engineer, solar panels and general electronics components, etc. And what you have in your head is the most important! Have a skill (soap making, butchering, leather tanning, etc.) that will be useful in the rebuilding phase of civilization.

A shovel is a must for building field-expedient fallout shelters etc.

Also, at a MINIMUM, consider some kind of grounding strap and a a long metal stake for grounding the body of your Jeep to earth to protect against EMP pulses from a nuclear detonation.

I would also outfit the Jeep with 110V power converter (very cheap nowadays). Also a solar panel for charging your spare 12V batteries for use with low-power car adapter electronics. The GPS satellite system will probably survive the end of the world as we know it.

Personal protection is a topic best left for other forums but I would go with a rifle in a common military caliber that is small, light and a good caliber for small game /cough AR15 /cough

If you are interested in this topic and want to read an entertaining, very detailed, topical and believable scenario based on a financial end-of-the-world situation, plus lots of vehicle related discussions, preparations including 'bugging out' and long term reliability and fuel storage discussions, then I can definitely recommend the book Patriots: Surviving the Coming Collapse by James Wesley Rawles. I've read it many times.

Wow, that was fun.

Last edited by InTheMist; 04-15-2009 at 12:04 AM.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Getting to your desired location will be foremost so reliability and off road strength.

For axle clearance you'll need the largest tires possible, 37s or larger on a 5+ inch suspension lift and then upgraded everything - driveshafts, dana 60 axles, etc

Gasoline will eventually run out or at minimum be in low supply, so storage in the rear for enough full gas cans to get you there.

Exo cage with wire mesh screens over windshield and side glass so you can gas it through problem areas without concern of damage to Jeep. For driving through blockades, some kind of full width angled divider on the front of Jeep, like you see on the old steam locos to remove cattle from the tracks.

Fun ideas, keep 'em coming
Old 04-15-2009, 03:58 AM
JK Super Freak

So far, I very much like the two replies, and I'm definitely going to check out that book ASAP, InTheMist. Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:03 AM
JK Junkie

I'd have to find some sort of way to install an electric motor and big-ass solar panels since there wouldn't be any more gasoline
Old 04-15-2009, 04:05 AM
JK Freak

Personally I would take D60's front and rear in my unlimited. with spare parts for the driveline. Probably run a 35 tire. the 35's shouldn't push the D60's anywhere near there limit, plus with all the junkyards laying around you can find D60 parts if you do break something. As for the survival part, atleast 2 spares, one on the tailgate, and one on the roof, a rear setup with a minimum of 2 gerry can's. A possible trailer for supplies, but if the going gets rough you may lose the trailer while traveling.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by InTheMist
I LOVE these end of the world scenarios.

I'm somewhat of a survivalist myself so I'll play along.

First off, I would go with some run-flat 33s and a modese lift - you're going to need reliability. Next, in a perfect world, I would take the Euro diesel version. Gasoline has a very limited shelf life without stabilization. Otherwise, you can buy gasoline stabilizer. Next, I would go with a roof rack and trailer for my BOB, storage foods, and general 'get out of dodge' stuff. You're also going to need to consider a lot of fuel.

You'll need a radio - probably a CB to stay in contact with your survival retreat.

Next, I would modify some traction blocks to hang over the side and rear windows (maybe front too) to protect against riots and roaming zombies. I think zombies climb well so an unprotected soft top is probably a nogo.

After hunting and fishing equipment, food and general camping stuff, think long term. Get a stove that can burn normal gasoline to cook over. The trailer should be loaded with long-lasting foodstuffs, fuel, seeds (for gardening), tools, basic spare parts for the Jeep and basic hand-powered tools of your trade for rebuilding after the apocalypse: if you're a farmer, a old fashioned plow and extra seeds; a welder, a DC welding kit; an electronic engineer, solar panels and general electronics components, etc. And what you have in your head is the most important! Have a skill (soap making, butchering, leather tanning, etc.) that will be useful in the rebuilding phase of civilization.

A shovel is a must for building field-expedient fallout shelters etc.

Also, at a MINIMUM, consider some kind of grounding strap and a a long metal stake for grounding the body of your Jeep to earth to protect against EMP pulses from a nuclear detonation.

I would also outfit the Jeep with 110V power converter (very cheap nowadays). Also a solar panel for charging your spare 12V batteries for use with low-power car adapter electronics. The GPS satellite system will probably survive the end of the world as we know it.

Personal protection is a topic best left for other forums but I would go with a rifle in a common military caliber that is small, light and a good caliber for small game /cough AR15 /cough

If you are interested in this topic and want to read an entertaining, very detailed, topical and believable scenario based on a financial end-of-the-world situation, plus lots of vehicle related discussions, preparations including 'bugging out' and long term reliability and fuel storage discussions, then I can definitely recommend the book Patriots: Surviving the Coming Collapse by James Wesley Rawles. I've read it many times.

Wow, that was fun.

Sounds like you're going to need a trailor for all of that.

In case of emergency....I'm following you.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:39 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This with a HEMI. 'Nuff said.

http://www.earthroamer.com/galleries/xv-jp_first_photos/index.htm
Old 04-15-2009, 04:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'd call Camp and pay him to make another Orange Crush or Yellow Jacket...

Quick Reply: End of Days - How Would You Modify Your JK (play along)