Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

End of Days - How Would You Modify Your JK (play along)

Old 08-31-2010, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

I think I'ld add a few more cup holders......Water will be the most important resource, and I'll need some more cup holders to make sure mine doesn't spill.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take seats out.. put in an air matress.. find some twins and die a happy man..
Old 09-01-2010, 10:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by InTheMist
I LOVE these end of the world scenarios.

I'm somewhat of a survivalist myself so I'll play along.

First off, I would go with some run-flat 33s and a modese lift - you're going to need reliability. Next, in a perfect world, I would take the Euro diesel version. Gasoline has a very limited shelf life without stabilization. Otherwise, you can buy gasoline stabilizer. Next, I would go with a roof rack and trailer for my BOB, storage foods, and general 'get out of dodge' stuff. You're also going to need to consider a lot of fuel.

You'll need a radio - probably a CB to stay in contact with your survival retreat.

Next, I would modify some traction blocks to hang over the side and rear windows (maybe front too) to protect against riots and roaming zombies. I think zombies climb well so an unprotected soft top is probably a nogo.

After hunting and fishing equipment, food and general camping stuff, think long term. Get a stove that can burn normal gasoline to cook over. The trailer should be loaded with long-lasting foodstuffs, fuel, seeds (for gardening), tools, basic spare parts for the Jeep and basic hand-powered tools of your trade for rebuilding after the apocalypse: if you're a farmer, a old fashioned plow and extra seeds; a welder, a DC welding kit; an electronic engineer, solar panels and general electronics components, etc. And what you have in your head is the most important! Have a skill (soap making, butchering, leather tanning, etc.) that will be useful in the rebuilding phase of civilization.

A shovel is a must for building field-expedient fallout shelters etc.

Also, at a MINIMUM, consider some kind of grounding strap and a a long metal stake for grounding the body of your Jeep to earth to protect against EMP pulses from a nuclear detonation.

I would also outfit the Jeep with 110V power converter (very cheap nowadays). Also a solar panel for charging your spare 12V batteries for use with low-power car adapter electronics. The GPS satellite system will probably survive the end of the world as we know it.

Personal protection is a topic best left for other forums but I would go with a rifle in a common military caliber that is small, light and a good caliber for small game /cough AR15 /cough

If you are interested in this topic and want to read an entertaining, very detailed, topical and believable scenario based on a financial end-of-the-world situation, plus lots of vehicle related discussions, preparations including 'bugging out' and long term reliability and fuel storage discussions, then I can definitely recommend the book Patriots: Surviving the Coming Collapse by James Wesley Rawles. I've read it many times.

Wow, that was fun.
can I pleasssseeee come with you??????????

Old 09-01-2010, 11:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

No doubt that there would be indications before the actual event occurs. So I will load out the jeep with wine and food. Take the Mrs and drive down to the closest secluded beach. And make love until the event happens. If the event does not happen (like someone negotiates world peace), well... hmmm... I don't see any change in plan needed at this point!

Old 09-01-2010, 02:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Nuclear fallout hhhmmmm other then suffering from radiation poisoning I do think I'd want a Geiger counter This way I'd be able to skirt around the heavy polluted areas and enhance my ability to stay alive.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Watch Resident Evil movies to prepare for zombies, Book of Eli for social breakdown.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

OK----need the Steven King Book with the Hero in the JK
Old 09-02-2010, 04:52 AM
JK Freak

HMMM,
My jeep and
blond
brunette
redhead
lots of liquor
Old 09-02-2010, 05:22 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 07BLUEJK
HMMM,
My jeep and
blond
brunette
redhead
lots of liquor
Finally, someone thinking about the future. Me and this guy will do our part to replenish the earth.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:21 AM
JK Freak

If Montana is north.... Y'all can just come to my place in Canada...

Quick Reply: End of Days - How Would You Modify Your JK (play along)