Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Fire Extinguisher

Old 04-15-2008, 02:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scouter4life
I mounted 1 on each side at the base of the front seats, so anyone in the front can grab it very quickly.
This is exactly what I did. But now undertow's warning has me paranoid. :whoaisme:
Old 04-15-2008, 02:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a 2.5lb H3R Halguard fire extinguisher mounted on the rear roll bar. I used the high quality metal airplane-approved mount that came with it, attached it with hose clamps, and it mounted up very solid. It was pretty expensive, but I chose it because it won't leave residue all over your Jeep if you have to use it.
Old 04-15-2008, 03:23 PM
JK Junkie

Make sure that it has on of these NFPA stickers on it.

And get a A-B-C extinguisher, the larger you can get the better.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by bOLsAK=3
And get a A-B-C extinguisher, the larger you can get the better.
Why the A? If it's just BC would that not work? I asumed that if it were just BC the BC numbers would be higher than if it were ABC. I have a BC maybe I should go get an ABC.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:53 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by eDiveBuddy
Why the A? If it's just BC would that not work? I asumed that if it were just BC the BC numbers would be higher than if it were ABC. I have a BC maybe I should go get an ABC.
A covers your normal combustibles, B covers polar solvents, C covers electrical equipment and insures you don't get electrocuted. You have pretty much have all of the above just in you engine compartment... Plastic-A, oil/fuel-B, electronics/battery-C.

Last edited by bOLsAK=3; 04-16-2008 at 05:00 AM. Reason: left out a word to complete a sentence "have"
Old 04-16-2008, 04:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ColinW
I have a 2.5lb H3R Halguard fire extinguisher mounted on the rear roll bar. I used the high quality metal airplane-approved mount that came with it, attached it with hose clamps, and it mounted up very solid. It was pretty expensive, but I chose it because it won't leave residue all over your Jeep if you have to use it.
Dude where did you get it? (I will look it up) By the name it's a Halon and those work wonders. I was under the assumption that Halon was banned from civilian use due to it's effect on the ozone layer.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:38 AM
JK Freak

I found these 1Lb chrome ones on EBAY. they come with a nice metal mounting bracket. I know they are small but with one on each side I hope I am covered. They mounted just behind the front seats on the roll bar with heavy velcro wrap straps. I hope they will not be messed with when the top is off. If it ever warms up here in Salt Lake.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:19 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by only_in_my_jeep
Dude where did you get it? (I will look it up) By the name it's a Halon and those work wonders. I was under the assumption that Halon was banned from civilian use due to it's effect on the ozone layer.
you can find them at quadratec, but they are expensive and they are only "BC"

Here you go:

http://www.quadratec.com/category/Fi.../139/index.htm
Old 04-16-2008, 02:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RubiEngr
you can find them at quadratec, but they are expensive and they are only "BC"

Here you go:

http://www.quadratec.com/category/Fi.../139/index.htm
That's where I got mine at...According to H3R, B and C fires are the most common/ most likely to occur type that occur in a vehicle. Plus, I don't smoke, or allow smoking in my Jeep, so I am not too worried about not having an approval for A.

Halotron 1 (which is what is in my extinguisher) replaces Halon 1211 (which is probably the harmful, environmentally dangerous type), and is legal.

You can see the dry chemical type that H3R also makes (Capt Scotty's MaxOut) up a couple posts up. It looks similar to mine...they make very high quality stuff in my opinion. Worth the money to me, too.

Last edited by User 12721; 04-16-2008 at 03:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Fire Extinguisher