Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

First Oil change and first dealer story

Old 07-29-2008, 11:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Oil change and first dealer story

I guess my problem was more with a tech, not that I knew who worked on my Jeep, but it was their fault, but they do work for the dealer.

Well I went in for my 6,000 mile oil change at the dealer. I had already done one at 3000 myself, taking to dealer for scheduled maint. to help for warranty claims.....
Anyways, they also said it was time to rotate tires, and I said ok no big deal. Had them start the spare into the rotation.

Everything is done, and I am driving home, and I start hearing a noise coming from the Passenger side front tire(Good thing I had the doors off!). So I pull into a parking lot to check it out and the lugs were loose on that wheel.
I erached down and gave it a couple of turns and they were very loose like the tech didnt even hand tighten them before torquing them! I called the dealer right away and told the service dept. what happened, they sent someone to tighten them down. Got a "soory about that" and made it home....

If my doors werent off I probably wouldnt have noticed it and my wheel could have come right off!

I wanted to take it in for my scheduled maintenance there for warranty claims but this has gotten me i little skiddish about it.

I guess what I want to find out is, If I take my Jeep somewhere else or do the work myself, what do I need to prove the work has been done, in case something does fail and they try to say I didnt take it to them for service?

Just my story thought I would share.....
Old 07-29-2008, 12:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

i just did the exact same thing. i changed my oil myself first then the dealer for the 6,000 mile one. this was last weekend. my excuse was it was too damn hot.

i hung out with the tech and talked about how cool the jeep was. then with out being rude i asked him how many quarts he was going to put in. he said 5. i said no it's 6. he said 3.8 that's 5. then brought another tech over and both argued with me about how many quarts. finaly they put in 6 just to shut me up.
plus they didn't reset the oil reminder. i'm glad i had a coupon, there is no way i will ever take it in again.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:25 PM
JK Newbie

The Magnuson-Moss Act

YOU DON’T HAVE TO TAKE YOUR VEHICLE TO THE DEALER TO MAINTAIN YOUR WARRANTY.

New and used car dealers are notorious for their claims that only they can provide warranty work on a car or truck that they sell. Some have gone so far as to state that a warranty will be rendered invalid if anyone other than a dealer’s service department does the work, or if any product other than a brand-name product is used.

This practice was one of a number of questionable tactics that led to the enactment of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act in 1975. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is a component of the Federal Trade Commission Improvement Act, and was passed in an effort to “improve the adequacy of information available to consumers, to prevent deception, and improve competition…” It mandates disclosures designed to enhance consumer protection through awareness of implied and express warranties attached to products and services.

Just save your receipts for any service shops other than the dealer. If you are doing your own oil changes, save those receipts. As long as you have a paper trail you should be fine.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Always double check someone else's work with lug nuts, oil changes, etc. These simple tasks can wreak havoc when done improperly, and often times it's the shmuck grease monkey who does these tasks and not the best technicians.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bloody fools! Thats just plain stupidity!
Old 07-29-2008, 04:23 PM
JK Freak

this don't surprise me any i wouldn't trust a dealer to check the air in my tires . what a bunch of clowns they could have got you killed for such a dumb mistake ya we are all human and make mistakes but ive not had a good thing ever happen to me at the service end of things in 34 years i can give you several screw ups by dealers and all u get is a hard way to go the minute u pull in there garage
Old 07-30-2008, 04:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

That is why I don't trust anbody to work on my vehicles. I have had too many little things (although I would NOT count not tightening a wheel as a little thing ) go wrong like missing oil cap, missed grease zerks, stripped oil pan drain plugs. The list goes on.

I'm not even that good or effecient of a mechanic myself, but I take my time and double and triple check everything.

I think the problem is too many techs don't take pride in what they do and just hurry through everything to get to the next break.

The passenger side softop latch broke when I had just over 2000 miles on my JK and I took it to the dealer to have it replaced under warranty. The service manager was great. But when they installed the thing it was crooked. 30 seconds in my driveway and I had it back the way it came from the factory.

Ok, so I'll stop my blabbing. Jest goes to show I should not be posting before the caffine has kicked in.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just got mine, so hasnt been in yet, but will go to the dealer when the time comes. why?

$600 when i bought it and for the next 6/100,000 all service is covered: oil, pads, rotors, wipers, rotation, balance, doesnt matter how many times i bring it in (i verified).

so they break it, they fix it.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Apostle
Just got mine, so hasnt been in yet, but will go to the dealer when the time comes. why?

$600 when i bought it and for the next 6/100,000 all service is covered: oil, pads, rotors, wipers, rotation, balance, doesnt matter how many times i bring it in (i verified).

so they break it, they fix it.
Yeah but what happens if they forget to tighten your lug nuts like the OP only you don't notice it right away and the tire comes off on the highway at 70 MPH.

Mine has only been to the dealer for the recalls reprograming the conputer. I will not let them touch anything else... Under ANY circumstances.....
Old 07-30-2008, 08:56 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rescue1
i just did the exact same thing. i changed my oil myself first then the dealer for the 6,000 mile one. this was last weekend. my excuse was it was too damn hot.

i hung out with the tech and talked about how cool the jeep was. then with out being rude i asked him how many quarts he was going to put in. he said 5. i said no it's 6. he said 3.8 that's 5. then brought another tech over and both argued with me about how many quarts. finaly they put in 6 just to shut me up.
plus they didn't reset the oil reminder. i'm glad i had a coupon, there is no way i will ever take it in again.
They did this to me, or shall I say, to my Jeep too.

Quick Reply: First Oil change and first dealer story