Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

First Oil Change! Seemed expensive!

Old 02-04-2007, 07:44 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea I got the hole LIFETIME oil changes thing. I figured @ $5. a month for the length of the loan gets me oil changes for the life of my JK... what the hell....
Old 02-04-2007, 08:02 PM
JK Freak

Because of the recommendations of this forum I decided to go with the Mopar filters. I think they were about 6-7 bucks each. That is twice the cost of the regular fram. I figure that is worth it if they really are better. I bought enough for a year and a half. I will check the mopar number if someone really wants.

I will have to check Wally world again. When I did check I didn't see any 5w20 of any kind. No empty shelves either. Maybe I will check a different one and see what I can find.

Now, as for running a different weight. I am no expert so I figured I would run what they say to run cause the engineer must have had a reason to spec that out. I imagine I would be safe running 5w30 but lawyers usually won't agree.

I too plan on doing all my maintenance.
When I said it took me like seven minutes, I mean I pulled the plug and the filter in about two minutes then went inside cause it was 20degrees in the garage and ate breakfast. Then after about an hour I went back out, buttoned her up, and filled her. So, it was a seven minute job with an intermission.

Bryan
Old 02-04-2007, 08:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just get the satisfaction out of doing it myself. If oil drips on the manifold I clean it. Unlike the quick lube places you smell oil for a while until it burns off. Plus getting under the vehicle to change the oil gives me a chance to do a look see and make sure everything is okay.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just used 5w30 full synthetic for mine. Next time around I'll probably go back to the 5w20 since it's the recommended. But I had some of this stuff already from my old truck, so I used it. You can save some money by getting the big jugs at Wally World or similar.

I definitely appreciate changing the oil in the JK compared to my car. The oil filter is in a pretty nice spot. Although the oil drain sure does launch the oil out the back a couple of feet horizontally!

-E
Old 02-05-2007, 12:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the tip on draining. I'll be sure I place the drain pan accordingly. As far as the 5W30, being in Colorado you would be more concerned with the 5W this time of the year.

Originally Posted by Jake_Blues
I just used 5w30 full synthetic for mine. Next time around I'll probably go back to the 5w20 since it's the recommended. But I had some of this stuff already from my old truck, so I used it. You can save some money by getting the big jugs at Wally World or similar.

I definitely appreciate changing the oil in the JK compared to my car. The oil filter is in a pretty nice spot. Although the oil drain sure does launch the oil out the back a couple of feet horizontally!

-E
Old 02-05-2007, 02:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

is it easy enough to change out the oil yourself? i see in the engine bay where the filter is. would someone mind explaining to me how to do an oil change? i would much like to know how to do this myself. i am 25 now and i feel this is something i should have learned along time ago. i dont need pics if you can make it clear enough. plus what do you do with the old oil?
Old 02-05-2007, 02:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by im4degreesaboveu
is it easy enough to change out the oil yourself? i see in the engine bay where the filter is. would someone mind explaining to me how to do an oil change? i would much like to know how to do this myself. i am 25 now and i feel this is something i should have learned along time ago. i dont need pics if you can make it clear enough. plus what do you do with the old oil?
uh...get the pamplet from Auto Zone on do it yourselfer oil changes. Its something I know how to show somebody do...but not so great on typing out instructions. hey I know google it. lol.

On another note I would use the Mopar filters...if I could find them!! I don't wanna go back to the stealership at all cause they pissed me off. But I will settle for a Mobile1, K&N, or Pure1 filter.

Fram sucks? I'm not sure but I've heard it from so many mechanics and fellow auto enthusiasts lately I'm scared of them. SO truth be known, stick with the OEM. Its what I try to do. I used to use Fram on my GM327 V8 for about a year before I heard the "fram sucks" stuff and I've gone back to ACDelco filters on that one. So I will run Mopar if I can ever locate the little bastards.

5w20 is friggin hard to find. I've only found it at 2 walmarts and one Advanced Auto (parts america) here in Alabama. But when I buy I will either buy Mobile1 or I will spring for a case of Royal Purple Synthetic from Summit Racing or Jegs...since full synthetics are EXPENSIVE anyhow.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ccdjeep
5w20 is friggin hard to find. I've only found it at 2 walmarts and one Advanced Auto (parts america) here in Alabama.

Most wallmarts, at least around me, will carry Motorcraft 5W-20 semi synthetic. Look for the red bottles.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:25 AM
JeeperTJ

Doing it yourself correctly, without some jerk spilling oil all over your engine..............................PRICELESS
Ha! After taking my new JK to the dealership at 1024 miles for the first oil change, (old school new engine break in period) when I got home I noticed oil all over the front axle. No extra charge for that.......Thanks! (Not)

Anyone considering Mobil 1 in the JK engine, when is a good time to start using it? Dealer wasn't really recommending it. How long safely between oil changes with Mobil 1 again?

Ciao! Ted

Last edited by JeeperTJ; 02-05-2007 at 04:27 AM.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

I too plan on using synthetic oil, Amsoil is my choice. I have used it with great success on my 94 Suburban and use it as soon as the break in period is over. I now have 500 miles and I figure waiting till 1500/2000 miles.

Quick Reply: First Oil Change! Seemed expensive!