Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Folding soft top into back of Jeep

Old 06-05-2009, 02:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Folding soft top into back of Jeep

k guys, I know it is a PITA, but what success have you guys had on your 4 Doors folding the soft top back into the trunk on your own? It is quite heavy and awkward but I can get it down alone. My issue is that I don't think it is folded thinly enough as I can't get the velcro to secure around the bows because they are sitting too high. I know we don't really need the straps but I like to make use of them, etc...I finally got those PITA metal clips out of their secure holding on the sides, but the velcro strap isn't long enough to wrap around the bows which means the top must be sitting too high still..

Cheers
Old 06-05-2009, 05:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

i have no problem at all putting mine down by myself, do it all the time . its all on how you fold it. it should fit down behind the spare tire nice and neat. after you do it a bunch of times you'll get the hang of it
Old 06-05-2009, 05:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

lay the back seats down and get inside and lift up the whole thing and then fold over the roll bar in the back...makes it really easy!
Old 06-05-2009, 05:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

I can get it into the back no problem, my issue is that I must be doing something wrong because the bows don't quite reach up front of the rear enough because I can't quite feed straps over top of the front most part of the bows...I should post a pic to splain..

I can also get a nice w fold in sunrider mode, but somewhere between that and getting it into the back it goes screwy or messy I think, lol...

Last edited by redsfan; 06-05-2009 at 05:52 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:18 PM
JK Newbie

This might help you out. I still have issues getting mine down to fit snug.

http://www.jeep.com/en/owners/soft_top_guide/
Old 06-05-2009, 06:36 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check out this thread also https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/putting-soft-top-down-18395/
Old 06-05-2009, 07:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tkob1060
hey thanks, I wonder if detaching the bow before folding the top down will help things. I would think that once you fold the top into the sunrider mode it would detach anyhow, but I have never noticed. The guy posting the how to on that read makes it seem so easy!!

I will keep playing around once I can get my preggers wife to help me out a bit.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:09 PM
JK Newbie

I folded mine for the first time today, and I was by myself. No problems at all getting it down. It wasn't folded as neatly as the posted above, but I could get the straps on.

I couldn't tell how to get the metal clips out of the tup so the strap could feed through the slot though. How do those come out?
Old 06-05-2009, 08:27 PM
JK Freak

its all about practice.

make sure you get the "W" in the folds, that makes it 10000x's easier
Old 06-06-2009, 12:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

well I kind of followed one of the suggested methods which was to take one of the bows out of the velcro piece and fold the top down that way. Once you remove the bow it is difficult getting the perfect w fold but it was much easier getting the top to sit in the back of the Jeep and get the front tied down. A bit more work raising the top as you have to expose the velcro and attach the bow again but wasn't too bad..

Quick Reply: Folding soft top into back of Jeep