Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Good news! Americans are happy with gas prices

Old 07-02-2008, 11:56 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ccdjeep
Seems like everyday I hit the highway some jack*** is a Suburban or an H2 or heck even the civics fly past me like I'm standing still. People just don't get it. Everybody is so self-absorbed now.
And the guy you drive by who is commuting to work on a bicycle thinks the same or worse of you.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I carpool 3 days a week, just so I can blow by you on the 2 days that i do drive! But in all seriousness, I have slowed down on the freeway, and no more jack-rabbit starts.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:13 PM
JK Newbie

A 100 mile each way commute two days a week at a steady 55, I'm lucky to pass 2 other vehicles the whole trip. Averaging 21 MPG with 35's and 5.13s so I'm doing my bit. The truckers up my ass would be intimidating if I had any rear visibility.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Actually put away my Valentine radar detector that I have used for years. Stay at the limit or below just to get the 17.5 mpg around town.

Gas prices are bad enough but then you think about everything else in the universe going up because of per barrel oil pices and nobody doing anything about it. We need a moon shot type national effort in the energy fields (all energy from oil to nuclear). Seems critical to our national security.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

In 5 years when you hear the term “THE BIG 3” they won’t be talking about DaimlerChrysler, Ford and General Motors. They’ll be referring to OIL, COAL, and WIND…
Old 07-02-2008, 01:29 PM
JK Freak

My drive one way to work is 26 miles. It averages me 50 dollars a week to just go to work. The jeep is for riding around after work. I fill it up twice a month. Gas and insurance wear me out every month. I set the cruise at 55mph and drive slow to and from work. I took the whole family 266 miles to beach today in the jeep. You only live once, I'm breaken a little better than even.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Why should any of you care if someone else drives faster than you?

I never ever under any circumstances drive under the speed limit (unless my vehicle CAN'T). If you do some research the number one cause of accidents is not speed but unexpected difference of speed. If I am on a 4 lane highway with a 65 MPH speed limit, I would not expect to find someone in a normal car going 50. That is dangerous. In most states if you go 10 or less under the speed limit you are required to have your 4-way flashers on.

For the record I don't like the price of Gas what it is. However I drive 35 miles each way to work. As it is it takes me about 45 minutes to get home. I spend usually 9-10 hours at work. So that's about 11 hours of my life gone every day. Why would I want to drive slower and loose more of my life. They day I will slow down is the day I can't afford to pay. The price of gas has just made me cut back on luxuries. I haven't bought the big screen TV I want, or the extension to the garage.

I don't like the high prices but everyone slowing down to 55 isn't going to lower the price of gas. The less we use the more China will use. We are stuck. Our only hope is if the Chinese government were to stop all subsidy of gas. Let their people pay the same price we are and maybe they will cut back demand.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:14 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Yucca Patrol
, but I feel that anybody who is unwilling to modify their driving habits even slightly has no right to complain about the price they are paying at the pump.

EVERYbody's entiteled to an opinion... there like arseholes: everybody's got 'em.... So while you're opinion is shared by some, lets not forget there are those ALSO that would look at you and YOUR driving habits and just say-- For the luv of God~ why not just walk...get a bike, etc.....

So while my driving habits are essentially my own, the insurance company & the laws; to worry about..........I aint happy with the price of Gas,,,but WILL complain loudly about it- thanks If you bought a Jeep for *Good* gas milage..well, that was your first mistake.

Just one Other man's opinion..........
Old 07-02-2008, 06:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by deconstructionist
So while you're opinion is shared by some, lets not forget there are those ALSO that would look at you and YOUR driving habits and just say-- For the luv of God~ why not just walk...get a bike, etc.....
There definitely are people like that. . . . . I see them every day in my rear view mirror lined up bumper to bumper behind me as I drive at 30 mph on the 30 mph main road through my neighborhood that leads to the highway. . . .

Last edited by Yucca Patrol; 07-02-2008 at 07:00 PM.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:27 PM
JK Jedi

Dont forget, use cruise control...also saves on gas.

Quick Reply: Good news! Americans are happy with gas prices