Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Good news! Americans are happy with gas prices

Old 07-02-2008, 07:35 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Yucca Patrol
There definitely are people like that. . . . . I see them every day in my rear view mirror lined up bumper to bumper behind me as I drive at 30 mph on the 30 mph main road through my neighborhood that leads to the highway. . . .
Well I hope ya' didn't take what/how I said what I said the wrong way: I agree in principle on the logic: but heck..... you know dang well you might be the 1 in 10000000000 that actually does the speed limit ALL the time.....

Now I'm NOTTTTTTTTT talking about speeders: I'm talking those confangled nuances that drive 30 in a 45...or 50 in a 65...or do 55 in the FAST lane while the slow lane's moving 70.

I VERY easily could live with EVERYONE driving the proscribed speed limit...if they'd actually Drive it-- not 50% of it and slowing everyone else down, making tempers sore....driving licencenedly clueless of thier actions having a HUGE impact on thier fellow drivers:

Case in point: out here in CA a few years back we had them nutt jobs that STOPPED Bridge traffic in hopes for a lot of things-- one of which was to reduce the amount of Gas peeps used in a day-- hoped all the peeps would stay home... but nope: silly nonsense had some astronomical pricetag in the Millions of dollars in lost revenue and UNproductivity of sooooo many people just stopped. Or how about the *Dont buy Gas Day!* net result was still the same-- Gas STILL was bought, the day before of the day after for those that *tried* or *Cared*-- the net result was Epic Failure.

Wanna reduce Gas consumption in the US? Stop making guzzlers vs. gutless stooopid wonders----- there's that dude outta the midwest making 800 hp (EIGHT HUNDRED) horsepower motors adn they get...... get this...they make 100 MPG-- Thats 100 Miles per gallon in case anyone thinks I mistyped; Some combo of desiel and turbine....And they FIT IN MOST VEHICLES.

So why aint Detroit adopted that? So why hasnt THAT been ALLLLLLLLLLL over the US? Why not ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL over the planet.

Simple: there's a LOT more going on than Americans love of gas: if you think we're addicted to it....think about all them twerps producing it-- they've a truly vested interest in seeing newer techknologies FAIL......

And That... has nothing to do with driving the speed limit.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

No worries Deconstructionist

I just doing an experiment to see what it takes for me to be as efficient as possible with this new Jeep.

In our household, we have the Jeep, a modified MINI Cooper S, and an unmodified base model MINI Cooper.

It turns out that the fast MINI driven like it was made to be driven only achieves a little better mileage than the Jeep driven like an insane penny pinching slow-poke. And since it requires premium gas, my cost per mile is essentially the same. My wife's base model Cooper is the only thing we have that even approaches being fuel-efficient.

My need for gas isn't affecting my ability to buy groceries, and I didn't buy the Jeep for its efficiency, but it is an interesting challenge to squeeze the most mileage I can out of the Jeep.

I am grateful for what I have and haven't had to go without something I wanted because of the price of gas. However, I know that a lot of the people who are blowing by me in the highway really could help their monthly budget just by make a few minor changes to their driving style, especially driving around town where things like traffic and stoplights determine the time you arrive at a destination more than the speed you choose to travel when moving.

I think we are entering into some very interesting times when it comes to how we use and think about energy, and I look forward to seeing what comes of it.

Last edited by Yucca Patrol; 07-02-2008 at 08:10 PM.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:18 AM
JK Super Freak

I've been experimenting to determine how my speed affects my gas mileage. Both on a recent long distance road trip and during my daily driving, I've been setting my cruise control at or a few miles under the speed limit. I've found that doing this plus being careful about acceleration and limiting my use of the AC, I can get 15-20% better gas mileage without significantly increasing the amount of time it takes me to get from place to place. Right now I am getting 17.5mpg in the city and 21.5 on the highway.

During these times driving barely under the speed limit, I have tried to notice how many vehicles are driving at or under the speed limit and how many are exceeding the speed limit.

With the exception of a few garbage trucks and beater cars that probably can't get up to speed, I am being passed by EVERYONE and everyone is speeding.

Personally, I am not pleased with the current price of gas, but I feel that anybody who is unwilling to modify their driving habits even slightly has no right to complain about the price they are paying at the pump.

There is no reason to run out and buy a Prius, but if people would simply check their tire pressure, ensure that they have a clean air filter, and back down to the speed limit, we as a country could make a very significant decrease in the demand for oil.

But as long as Americans refuse to do one darn thing to make a difference, they must be happy with the price of gas today.
Surely you are not serious, if you are your mom should smack you upside the haid!
Old 07-03-2008, 12:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Really, what is the point to all of this? We have huge amounts of oil in the lower 48, if we don't use if we're fools. We can drive the price down just like before and still sell it for a profit.

We have more oil then all of the middle east, one state has well over a trillion gallons available. If it were gold would you suggest leaving it there too? We are increasing the efficiency of our vehicles every year, our environement is the cleanest in the world.

Fuel is good for the economy and to those who foolishly state we are addicted to oil, I say fine, then don't eat since you are addicted to food. It makes just as much sense. 8)
Old 07-03-2008, 05:49 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by CIJeep
Really, what is the point to all of this? We have huge amounts of oil in the lower 48, if we don't use if we're fools. We can drive the price down just like before and still sell it for a profit.

We have more oil then all of the middle east, . 8)
Newsweek just ran an article on/about this. Actually the U.S. DOES produce alot of its own oil....just not enough to keep up with our OWN demand. We use summin' like 20 Million Barrels a day--- but we produce only 8 million per day. By contrast- China IIRC is *only* at needing 6 million per day for right now....but she is growing fast.

Though we have the oil....its gonna take a miricle to change the minds of all the enviro's for us to be able to open more rigs....and peeps that would normally be for more oil rigs suddenly often change thier minds when they find there's gonna be one in thier own neighborhood.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Wish they would put a Nuclear plant down the street from me. If the Chinese can drill off the coast of Florida why can't we?????????
Old 07-03-2008, 09:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've been experimenting to determine how my speed affects my gas mileage. Both on a recent long distance road trip and during my daily driving, I've been setting my cruise control at or a few miles under the speed limit. I've found that doing this plus being careful about acceleration and limiting my use of the AC, I can get 15-20% better gas mileage without significantly increasing the amount of time it takes me to get from place to place. Right now I am getting 17.5mpg in the city and 21.5 on the highway.

During these times driving barely under the speed limit, I have tried to notice how many vehicles are driving at or under the speed limit and how many are exceeding the speed limit.

With the exception of a few garbage trucks and beater cars that probably can't get up to speed, I am being passed by EVERYONE and everyone is speeding.

Personally, I am not pleased with the current price of gas, but I feel that anybody who is unwilling to modify their driving habits even slightly has no right to complain about the price they are paying at the pump.

There is no reason to run out and buy a Prius, but if people would simply check their tire pressure, ensure that they have a clean air filter, and back down to the speed limit, we as a country could make a very significant decrease in the demand for oil.

But as long as Americans refuse to do one darn thing to make a difference, they must be happy with the price of gas today.

I agree just keep it slow and steady. gas saving equal more mods
Old 07-03-2008, 01:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CIJeep
Surely you are not serious, if you are your mom should smack you upside the haid!
Old 07-03-2008, 03:28 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Rub61
Wish they would put a Nuclear plant down the street from me. If the Chinese can drill off the coast of Florida why can't we?????????
Yep! aint NOTHUN" like having 2 headed frog or double-tailed trout for dinner!!!!!!!!!! LOL! No, seriously--- peeps ALWAYS take it the worng way-- but die slow or die fast...we allare gonna die: So i personally dont care if one's down the dtreet from me.

But yeah: until we either open MORE oil rigs....or have some sci-fie flux-capacitor device with the levitation option hits the market--- we're screwededed with the price of gas
Old 07-03-2008, 04:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

late to the convo but I can relate to the observations. I have driven my unlimited lightly from the start and get 20 mpg. I set my cruise no more than 60 on normal roads and at 70 on the highway portion. I keep wanting to go lower than 60 on normal roads (posted is 55) but for whatever reason I usually do 60. I'm willing to bet the people riding my ass from stops...if they even stop... and the people zigzaging like trunken idiots are the ones bitching the most about their cost of fuel. I have however taken notice that on the highway more people are cruising at or below 70 in the "slow" lane and I'm happy to file right in with them.

I glanced over an article today saying the our Gov. (MI) will "look at" a suggestion by representatives to lower speed limits. I think it would be waste of time and effort...Americans have to REALLY want to help themselves...seems like most want the government to make changes but are unwilling to make changes themselves.

Quick Reply: Good news! Americans are happy with gas prices