Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Grill Mod Problem?

Old 04-28-2008, 10:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like mine used 32 of those zip tie blocks and it is holding up very well
gorilla is holding it tight
Old 05-14-2008, 12:51 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Oops

I did my grill mod today, however I used 1/2 inch 13 gauge expanded metal. I say it on an earlier thread, called "grille mod". Looks great, not how well the pads for the cable ties will hold up. I did use 20 of them and actually cut the metal a little wider and bent to the arch of the grill, so should take some of the pressure off of those pads.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:28 PM
JK Junkie

I did mine yesterday and used Gorilla Glue. I guess we will see.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:05 PM
JK Junkie

Did mine a year and a half ago with the hot glue gun/adhere the screens directly to the back of the grill method (no zip ties,no blocks and still have no problems.It does ony get 115 degrees here though
Old 05-24-2008, 09:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you use gorilla glue you shouldn't have to use zip ties. In my opinion, using zip ties is overkill. If you get a strong enough glue (like gorilla glue, or something that bonds permanently) you should have no issues.
Old 05-24-2008, 03:48 PM
JK Freak

Goin on about 3 months with a home brewed grill from aluminum mesh with the diamond pattern. Already had had a couple of 100+ degree days and that gauge aint budged one single bit.....though I DO wanna add a trans cooler soon.........
Old 05-25-2008, 09:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default gorilla glue

well i did the gutter grill mod a while back with the zip tie blocks after a few weeks a few came loose...so i disassembled the grill got them to stick....few weeks later same thing so i took the whole darn thing apart and re did with the gorilla glue its been over 80 here for a few days on top of me driving for several hours strait of driving and it doesnt budge....i glued an extra zip tie block to see how hard it would be to get off....and im not a sissy but with a pair of needle nose plyers and all my strength i could barely get it off....that stuff is awesome...
Old 05-26-2008, 07:41 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by DiscoDave
If you use gorilla glue you shouldn't have to use zip ties. In my opinion, using zip ties is overkill. If you get a strong enough glue (like gorilla glue, or something that bonds permanently) you should have no issues.
Hu? What? You need the zip ties to connect to the tabs.

Did you do this mod? Pics of the grill mod without zipties would be nice.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:32 AM
JK Newbie

I did this mod and used the 5 min epoxy, and it held about three weeks. Not to happy about this. I'm going to try the gorilla glue. I want to make sure I do it right this time. are you using the adhesive tape on the back of the tabs and then dampening the area and running a bead of glue around the tab? What is the point of dampening the plastic? I can understand wood, but plastic?
Old 06-06-2008, 08:06 PM
JK Newbie

The instructions on the Gorilla Glue say to wet one of the surfaces that you're gluing. I believe it's to activate the glue. Don't go overboard with the glue. I've used that stuff a few times & found that it expands as it dries. You put too much on & you'll find a lot of tan colored foam looking material where you glued after it sets. The excess can be scraped off though. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Grill Mod Problem?