Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Hardtop Dilema

Old 04-06-2012, 10:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This may not help, I store mine in the garage standing up from the open side (rear window up). I just don't have a lot of space in there and have to flip it just a bit. I have a bunch of raiment carpet that I place it on and wrap it with. It is tied to my work bench so it doesn't fall over. Works well that way.

The problem is, it is bulky and heaviest in the back( as mentioned). It is not something you can just flip around a corner. Whom ever is going to carry it, needs to have the ability to handle that back end wanting to move in a different direction. You have to kind of man handle it around corners. It is not 80+ lbs for the two door without the panels, more like 55. Just feels like 100 as the front is really light. I know you said your want to turn it on it's side when caring it. That may stop the window opining.

I get some kind of temp space, because if your girl friend can handle it, she is going to get pissed moving it up every so often. Heck, I don't look forward to moving twice a year. I know, I got to get that hoist. It is not that you can't do it, it's that you want to do it every so often. That gets to be a drag as it's heavy enough and bulky enough to be a pain when you want to maneuver it.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, I wouldn't attempt to bring it up three flights of stairs. Even as a two person job, it's awkward enough just putting it in my shed.

FWIW; if you do want to attempt it -- I suggest using blue painters tape to secure the rear window shut. I use it with complete success. No residue left behind.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:25 AM
JK Freak

Couldn't even get my GF to lift it off the back... and she was trying hard. How strong is your girl? That's a lot of weight to carry up a bunch of stairs.

Last edited by BLK08JK; 04-06-2012 at 10:30 AM.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I second that...

Didn't say it above, but "I" have a hard time lifting the dang thing (with help), and it's only a 2-door model.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:27 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BLK08JK
Could even get my GF to lift it off the back... and she was trying hard. How strong is your girl? That's a lot of weight to carry up a bunch of stairs.
From the way it sounds, not strong enough lol.. My other JK was a soft top so I have no idea how the hardtop is to handle. I don't miss all the noise of the softtop tho
Old 04-06-2012, 10:31 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Would i be accurate in saying that, if you are in the situation where you can just lift it off and set it in a garage, the hardtop is just as quick, if not quicker to take off than the soft top?

Sorry if it sounds like a ridiculous question, like i said never took off a hard top. I'm just thinking about the time it takes to get all the zippers off and the flaps might be about the same as if you use a cordless for the hardtop hexes?

Maybe i'm crazy
Old 04-06-2012, 10:32 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Jk202
From the way it sounds, not strong enough lol.. My other JK was a soft top so I have no idea how the hardtop is to handle. I don't miss all the noise of the softtop tho
Then start by just trying to take it off the Jeep and then put it back on. If you can do that together, then you stand a chance of making it up stairs... but even so it's gonna be awkward to walk with.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:33 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by kh202
Would i be accurate in saying that, if you are in the situation where you can just lift it off and set it in a garage, the hardtop is just as quick, if not quicker to take off than the soft top?

Sorry if it sounds like a ridiculous question, like i said never took off a hard top. I'm just thinking about the time it takes to get all the zippers off and the flaps might be about the same as if you use a cordless for the hardtop hexes?

Maybe i'm crazy
That's pretty accurate. I've got the soft top down to a personal best of 5 minutes (flipping down or putting up, taking widows off and putting on, etc). With another capable person, lifting the hard top off the back would be even faster, especially if just setting down.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

to the OP, dont do it. women cannot be relied on in situations like you propose. she will give out on you. and its a 2300 replacement. not worth the risk. i love my wife. but not for her ability to carry shit.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:41 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by LordEgg
to the OP, dont do it. women cannot be relied on in situations like you propose. she will give out on you. and its a 2300 replacement. not worth the risk. i love my wife. but not for her ability to carry shit.
LOL! Yeah, I pretty much learned the same thing.

Quick Reply: Hardtop Dilema