Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Hardtop Dilema

Old 04-06-2012, 11:28 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Storage unit is looking like the answer. Dont feel like forking out money for a soft top and a trunk..
Old 04-06-2012, 12:23 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jk202
Storage unit is looking like the answer. Dont feel like forking out money for a soft top and a trunk..
That's the route to go.

Besides, storage units are EASY to fill up with junk. Trust me, you'll enjoy having the extra space to go throw some things in it that you know you won't use for a while.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:20 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in the same boat, but I have left it at my parents a few times just to get the top off. Can honestly say that if people aren't in the back to enjoy the top being off, the driver and the passenger in the front seat can't tell the difference between the whole top being off or just having the freedom tops off. So I said no more.. Just the freedom panels coming off my jeep because I took the backseat out. 2 seater from now own. My wife can't put the freedom panels on without scratching something, so no way would I let her attempt to take the hard top off, and never will she carry it. Two men for that job or you'll be sorry. A friend and I have carried the top 20 yards up a hill, up a few steps and into his spare bedroom. If that means anything. I would suggest carrying it with the back window shut, but on top. Hold it upright at the front of the side windows. It's skinny this way and evenly weighted.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:32 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JLsJK
Can honestly say that if people aren't in the back to enjoy the top being off, the driver and the passenger in the front seat can't tell the difference between the whole top being off or just having the freedom tops off.
Damn that's a huge lie! Lol. It's way different man!
Old 04-06-2012, 03:44 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Jk202
Hmmm... Well maneuvering isn't really a problem. It's a wide hallway and plenty of room to turn. I just don't know about the weight since its bulky.

Has ANYONE ever carried a hardtop up stairs?
My friend lives in a 2 story condo. The only storage he had was an extra bedroom upstairs. He took his 4dr hard top up his stairs with his wife. She claims to be 5 foot even, but I call bull shit. Lol. Anyhow.... He managed it up there.

I live on the 3rd floor of an apartment. I had to make the choice between hard top or soft top. I didn't have the room or storage for both, so I sold my hard top.
Old 04-07-2012, 03:14 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Buy some wooden or foldable saw horses. Those are a lot easier to move than the top. You may get your girl to help you once in carrying the top up the steps and into the apartment....but I would bet the next time you want to take it off, that option won't be available.

Lift off the top and set it on the saw horses in the parking spot next to you. That will keep it off the grass and away from the kids. If you're still worried about theft, then buy some chains and figure out a way to lock the top to the saw horses.

You also might want to consider building a roll-able hard top hoist or get a cheap engine hoist. Then you can do all of this by yourself where the hoist can also be where you store it.

Last edited by Rednroll; 04-07-2012 at 03:28 AM.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

It will be worth your time to just get a storage unit, I don't know how strong your girl is, but moving a hardtop to the third floor is alot to ask. Especially if it starts raining suddenly then your on the top floor with your hardtop? I lived in an apartment about 10 years ago and we tried keeping the top off our TJ on the patio of our ground level apt. It was a pain in the ass packing it across the courtyard and only lasted about 3 days before the apartment management told us we needed to find somewhere else to keep it. So i very much doubt you will be able to leave it in an empty parking spot, or in a grassy area.

Quick Reply: Hardtop Dilema