Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Honest Opinion-Rear Tire Carriers. Pain in the ___?

Old 06-21-2010, 06:09 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honest Opinion-Rear Tire Carriers. Pain in the ___?

Like the title says. I am looking at new bumpers, and I was looking for opinions on people's experience with the seperate tire carriers. Is it a real pain having that and the tailgate to deal with? Or should I just go with a new bumper sans tire carrier, and get a seperate tailgate oversize tire carrier (i.e. just reinforce the factory tailgate)? (Looking at the Mopar offroad bumpers just for an idea of what I am thinking)
Old 06-21-2010, 06:20 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a PJ swingaway.

I dont find it to be a problem, but my wife and kids hate it. (and a lot of people have no clue how to open it) Which is an added benefit of them not screwing around in my trunk space.

I'd rather swing the carrier & then the gate, then have my tailgate/welds/hinges go to hell from the added weight. I know there are options that bolt to the hinge area, but personally speaking I am still leary of the longterm effects there. They will probably be fine, I am just apprehensive because of the weak sheetmetal everywhere else.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:07 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

I'm with Happy on this. No problem with my Shrockworks tire carrier, even with trail rack and jerry cans filled up. And I have to deal with this every time I bed down the Jeep to put on the Bestop Trail Cover. It's probably no more than 30 seconds additional work. And, with it being lockable, it's even more protection to the rear than what Happy had suggested (though I don't usually lock it).
Old 06-21-2010, 07:15 AM
JK Junkie

Not much additional work really and lke happyCurmudgeon said, a lot of people hesitate to mess with it so they aren't rifling through the gear in the back which is nice. I figure the extra work is worth it to prevent tailgate damage from a heavy tire.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:18 AM
JK Super Freak

I don't mind it at all. I thought I might regret not getting a carrier that operated with the tailgate but it's really not a big deal at all.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:35 AM
JK Freak

thanks for the replys everyone Yeah, the hinges, etc is what worrys me too. So I guess the consensus is go for the seperate carrier.
Any one have problems of the two hitting each other when on slopes? (not steep slopes, but my driveway does slope the wrong way for the tailgate, etc.)

Thanks again
Old 06-21-2010, 09:17 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The LoD I ordered has a locking pin that keeps it in the open position. I can't wait to get it on and try it out.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:33 AM
JK Freak

The new M.O.R.E. JK bumper has the option for a tire carrier that swings with the rear gate. Works very well. There are several manufacturers that move the tire weight from the gate to the bumper.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:17 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by armycop
The LoD I ordered has a locking pin that keeps it in the open position. I can't wait to get it on and try it out.
Shrockworks has a locking pin, too. If you have a consistent problem (i.e., sloping driveway), you could probably use a bungie cord to hold the gate to the tire rack.

BTW: TORN was having problems with that pin on the LOD bumpers. It's difficult to pull up. He mentioned something about using Vice Grips. The Shrockworks bumper has a T-handle.

Quick Reply: Honest Opinion-Rear Tire Carriers. Pain in the ___?