Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

How long can a dealer keep your car for warranty repair without a loaner or rental

Old 02-03-2023, 10:39 AM
Dat
JK Freak

Received 112 Likes on 99 Posts

Ooooph, rent car kinda gets into the pocket after that long, when i was a service advisor at the GM dealer, we could “good will” help on a rental if vehicle was down because of parts availability, I think we had a two week maximum without our service reps authorization, but could get more if we called him
Old 02-03-2023, 10:48 AM
Dat
JK Freak

Saying that, it did take more paperwork and time on my part, a lot of people in that position didn’t want to spend the time and effort, it’s a lot easier to just say no, but it was worth it to me for customer retention, not just for keeping customers, but also small town and knowing the customers on a personal level made me want to go the extra mile
Old 02-03-2023, 12:26 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dat
Saying that, it did take more paperwork and time on my part, a lot of people in that position didn’t want to spend the time and effort, it’s a lot easier to just say no, but it was worth it to me for customer retention, not just for keeping customers, but also small town and knowing the customers on a personal level made me want to go the extra mile
The dealer and Jeep corporate both told me already that they wouldn't provide a loaner or rental due to the Jeep's age. I don't see why that should be a factor, especially with Jeep corporate who dropped the ball on this by not keeping the parts in stock to make repairs. It's not like the vehicle or the transmission are new and failure rates unknown. This transmission was used in all of the JKs with manuals from 2007 to 2018 and Jeep undoubtedly has the data on its failure rates.

That said, I'm going to push hard for a loaner or rental with the dealer and Jeep on Monday. At that point, it will have been more than 30 work days.
Old 02-03-2023, 01:08 PM
Dat
JK Freak

If jeep is like GM, when you call into the customer assistance phone number, you get a call center full of people that actually don’t have any authority to do anything, the customer assistance people listen to the customer, then they call the dealer to see what can be done on the dealer level, corporate doesn’t commit to anything out of their pocket, customer assistance won’t call me at the dealer and request us to do things, I would ask them for a warranty claim code so I could get paid for what they promised, very seldom did they give one, you will have more luck from the dealer than the customer ass number.
with GM it was easy to get customer retention claims paid, at least back then, I don’t know how the jeep customer service/ satisfaction policy works though, even with GM, I’ve been out of it long enough now they’ve probably changed a lot
Old 02-03-2023, 01:13 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Dat
If jeep is like GM, when you call into the customer assistance phone number, you get a call center full of people that actually don’t have any authority to do anything, the customer assistance people listen to the customer, then they call the dealer to see what can be done on the dealer level, corporate doesn’t commit to anything out of their pocket, customer assistance won’t call me at the dealer and request us to do things, I would ask them for a warranty claim code so I could get paid for what they promised, very seldom did they give one, you will have more luck from the dealer than the customer ass number.
with GM it was easy to get customer retention claims paid, at least back then, I don’t know how the jeep customer service/ satisfaction policy works though, even with GM, I’ve been out of it long enough now they’ve probably changed a lot
The service manager at the dealer actually sent the information on my situation to Jeep Cares and gave me their contact information. I've been having weekly emails and phone calls with the Jeep Cares person since. In any case, come Monday I intend to push from on both the dealer side and with Jeep directly.
The following users liked this post:
Dat (02-03-2023)
Old 02-03-2023, 01:17 PM
Dat
JK Freak

After this long, they should do something, shouldn’t have let it go this long, there are too many other options to buy than jeep for them to let it go without helping
Old 02-03-2023, 01:22 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Dat
After this long, they should do something, shouldn’t have let it go this long, there are too many other options to buy than jeep for them to let it go without helping
One of the main reasons I kept my Jeep this long was because of the Lifetime Powertrain Warranty. This experience certainly makes the lifetime warranty significantly less worthwhile. Maybe this is partially Jeep's way of trying to convince me to sell the Jeep, since the lifetime powertrain warranty does not transfer to the new owner. This experience certainly makes me less likely to buy any Jeep products in the future.
Old 02-03-2023, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 359 Likes on 335 Posts

Not trying to change the subject; however, here is a "Side Bar" similar situation.. Car Insurance and Rentals.. Your car is in accident, you have paid for 30 days Rental coverage in your policy.. All Brands have parts on Back Order, the shop cannot get the Radiator support for 3 months, or a door for 4 months, how about a front fascia from over seas for 4 months..guess how much rental payment you Get? BTW these are 2-3 year old vehicles and the salvage yards are sold out; no aftermarket are available either- and these are real today situations..The body shop has no obligation to participate in paying or providing rental after your 30 days of policy paid rental expires. So what happens? I'll let you handle that question.
Old 02-03-2023, 05:40 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jay2013jk
Not trying to change the subject; however, here is a "Side Bar" similar situation.. Car Insurance and Rentals.. Your car is in accident, you have paid for 30 days Rental coverage in your policy.. All Brands have parts on Back Order, the shop cannot get the Radiator support for 3 months, or a door for 4 months, how about a front fascia from over seas for 4 months..guess how much rental payment you Get? BTW these are 2-3 year old vehicles and the salvage yards are sold out; no aftermarket are available either- and these are real today situations..The body shop has no obligation to participate in paying or providing rental after your 30 days of policy paid rental expires. So what happens? I'll let you handle that question.
They're similar in that they're both contracts, but that's about it. In your example, you have a contract with the insurance company for 30 days. If you wanted more, you could probably pay for more, but you'd have to do that up front. They are not in violation of their contract to you if the repair by a third party takes longer than 30 days. You might have cause for some action against the repair shop if they promised that your car would be done by a certain date. I doubt that would happen since I think most shops verify that they can get the parts before they promise any completion date.

A new car warranty is a contract where the car manufacturer promises to fix your vehicle in a reasonable fashion. If they can't do that, they are in violation of the contract. I haven't checked with a lawyer yet, but everything I've been able to find on it says that 30 days is the accepted standard for warranty repairs. It is the standard where lemon laws kick in, and those can require the manufacturer to pay you back for your car. I don't expect that, but I do expect them to provide me with alternate means of transportation when they have exceeded a reasonable period of time to effect repairs.
Old 02-10-2023, 08:30 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The length of time a dealer can keep a car for warranty repair without providing a loaner or rental vehicle can vary depending on several factors, such as the severity of the repair needed, the availability of parts, and the dealership's policy. However, it is generally expected that the dealership will make a reasonable effort to repair the vehicle as quickly as possible and minimize any inconvenience to the owner.

In most cases, if a warranty repair is expected to take an extended period of time, the dealership will provide a loaner or rental vehicle to the owner at no cost. This is usually done to ensure that the owner can continue to use their vehicle while the repair is being carried out. However, this may vary by dealership and by the terms of the warranty.

It is always a good idea to discuss the expected duration of the repair with the dealership beforehand and to understand their policy regarding loaner or rental vehicles. This can help you to make an informed decision about whether to proceed with the repair or to seek an alternative solution.

Quick Reply: How long can a dealer keep your car for warranty repair without a loaner or rental