Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Hypermiling - does it work for you?

Old 07-17-2008, 11:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spartan99
Hey Gold Knight how are those mobil 1 fluids working out. Any improvements in mileage?
No I didn't really notice any improvement in mileage, Just a little peace of mind.

By the way just as a warning (sorry a little off topic from this thread) I stopped using the Mobil 1 filter as apparently the anti-drainback valve didn't hold the oil in overnight. Had a clacking when first starting. There is a thread about it with some other filters that have done the same.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lol...hey man don't feel insulted. Touchy touchy are we today? Just joshing with ya and yes I know you're just messing with me about my spelling typo.

I don't understand your post about the 3,000 or so miles, and the 173 miles or whatever it was. "Do the math" I think you said. Explain.
I'm not the least bit touchy. I'm always enjoy trading good natured barbs, and insults. I don't take it personally, and don't mean it to be taken as such.

It's kind of like your neighbor, that laughs at you when you lock your keys in your car, how do you keep a straight face when he shows up at your front door, at 6am on a -20* January morning, wearing only his boxers, because his front door locked behind him when he went out to get the paper?(it's close to a 1/4 mile walk, he was blue, and the little cupids on his draws didn't help his dignity much either.)

And typos are funny, god knows I leave a pretty broad trail of them in my wake. Some are just easier to exploit then others.

If you play with those numbers you will find my hand calculated MPG is 21.2 mpg. But my driving conditions may(probably) not be the same as yours are. I have NO city driving, minimal interstate driving, light traffic, as in no traffic, unless some farmer is letting his cows cross tween barn and field. Almost all my time is on 2 lane rural highways, or gravel roads, at a near constant 40 - 50 mph. My conditions contribute a great deal to the mileage I do get, but I do suffer the 'lots of idling' penalty in the winter. At -20 and -30 you do tend to take long warm ups, and not shut down when you run in for some beer or coffee.

The Jeep is a brick, you can wrap a turd in rose petals, but it is still gonna smell like a turd. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't try to get decent mileage out of it, it just will never be all that great.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

You guys notice that jeeps just do not roll well , when put in neutral...at any speed? The jeep being a brick thing is over rated, I think it is all the underneath gear boxes, diffs heavy axles, drive shafts that are the problem. They just do not roll well at any speed.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I hear ya.

Yes those conditions are very different than mine and they seem ideal for getting good gas mileage. That explains everything. I live in the Bay Area where you're expected to go 80 on the freeway and people drive around town like they're in some crazy hurry.

And yes the Jeep is a brick, but again at $4.50 per gallon a lot of money can be saved by just a few more mpg's. And yes smelt 1 I have noticed that it doesn't roll well; poor aerodynamics are a big problem in addition to what you mentioned. I don't know about you guys but I can feel wind gusts and I feel the vehicle pushing through the air at freeway speeds.

Thx for the info about the filter Knight. I was contemplating getting that set up.

Last edited by spartan99; 07-17-2008 at 11:18 AM.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm NOT doubting you...but...if you "re-set" the econo-meter frequently, the computer doesn't have a fair chance to give you an honest "average". You will normally observe these high-mileage readouts for a few days after the re-set. Let it go for a month or so and see where it settles down to. Like I said...I'm not doubting you, just try to let the computer do some long-term averaging. If I'm wrong...I appologize in advance... Take care, Mike
Old 07-17-2008, 06:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Camp Crocker
I get 8 in this one

Oh well
Yeah, but how many Spotted Owls have your slaughtered in the process?
Old 07-18-2008, 07:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

I actually live bang on sea level, and never think of it as an issue like you guys have to.

I was under the impression the higher octanes gave an easier burn, rather than the opposite, granted my "knowledge" if you can call it that comes from the press marketing from the major fuel groups we have here, and their sales pushes on the higher octanes, hence why i use diesel ulimate here;

http://www.bp.com//sectiongenericart...tentId=7009018

still not convinced with the coasting that ppl here do, but each to their own
Old 07-18-2008, 08:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by x5tuu
I actually live bang on sea level, and never think of it as an issue like you guys have to.

I was under the impression the higher octanes gave an easier burn, rather than the opposite, granted my "knowledge" if you can call it that comes from the press marketing from the major fuel groups we have here, and their sales pushes on the higher octanes, hence why i use diesel ulimate here;

http://www.bp.com//sectiongenericart...tentId=7009018

still not convinced with the coasting that ppl here do, but each to their own
I know this is true with gas higher octane means less prone to detonation.

That's interesting about diesel octane rating. We normally have 3 grades of gasoline (although in Florida I saw six options at one pump) and then we have Diesel (one pump, one grade).

I don't know much about diesel. but I found this from my friend google

Re: does #2 diesel fuel have an octane rating?

Diesel has an octane number of about 15-25. The reason for this seemingly terrible number compared to the ones we're used to from gasoline is the fact that diesel is combusted in a totally different type of engine. Diesel has low volatility, low knock resistance, yet high energy per volume. Because of its low knock resistance, diesel should not be used in a gasoline engine as it will destroy it very quickly and efficiently.

Generally speaking, diesel fuel ignition quality is not measured in octanes, as these are a unit for gasoline. A similar reference value, but for diesel, is the cetane rating. The higher the cetane number, the easier the fuel ignites when injected into an engine. The cetane number is determined by an engine test using two reference fuel blends of known cetane numbers. The reference fuels are prepared by blending normal cetane (n-hexadecane), having a value of 100, with heptamethyl nonane, having a value of 15. The higher the cetane rating, the higher the fuel's propensity to knock! Choosing a very high cetane number will not make the car run better, but using a fuel with too low cetane number may prevent the engine from starting or running.

EDIT> Nice link to BP, maybe soon we'll have good diesel choices here.:( Oh and I noticed it does say it has a higher cetane rating than other fuels.

Last edited by gold knight; 07-18-2008 at 08:52 AM.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

The worst tank i've got on my jk so far is 17.5 mpg. I got 23 on a mostly highway tank once. From what i've noticed, the key for me is to stay under 65, but over 40. The more time i spend outside of these kills my milage. When i hit a traffic jam or even just congestions that slows me to 20-30 mph in the morning ( i have a 30 mile commute to downtown houston) my milage suffers. I am overall though very impressed by the mpg of this jeep. I plan to add an intake/exhaust and chip in the future, i'll see how that changes things. (these mods are not solely being added for mpg, they are being added for power)

btw i only have 4200 miles on my jk
Old 07-18-2008, 12:31 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

About $35 per fill up actually.

I was getting 16.5 mpg. Some times I get 22.5 mpg, a %36 increase.
Filling up my JK is $100 at $4.50 per gallon. So by being %36 more efficient, I'm
saving $36 per fill up. No, it's not the most exciting thing to do, but wouldn't you
want to save some bucks when you have to hit the grocery store in your JK? Why
not drive efficiently and save some money?
You think you're saving 8 gallons on each fill up? I don't think so.

First off your fuel tank is only 21.6 gallons. according to your $100 at $4.5 per gallon. That's 22.22 gallons. I doubt you run out of gas every fill up. Also you are using the extremes to make your point.
Sure you are saving a few bucks by driving slow but big deal. It's a Jeep! Wheel it! And get 8mpg like mine.

Quick Reply: Hypermiling - does it work for you?