Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

I want it... but it's just so impracticle. Drake hood hold downs

Old 04-20-2010, 02:02 PM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rubi-josh
Yeah, just bought a rubicon and told the wife i could leave it stock it was so nice so i could get it.....she fell for it.
Good one! Now let the modifying begin! Actually you'll really be surprised by just how much your Rubi can do!
Old 04-21-2010, 03:17 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wanted the Rubicon but since I'm already paying off a car and 2 ATV's I couldn't quite afford it! I got the X instead figuring I could mod it and personalize it at my leisure. Wow! My wish list is HUGE and I still can't afford any major mods! This'll be a very long term project. The Rubicon would have had a few of the things I want but I'm sure I'd still have a huge wish list. I guess that's a standard feature that comes with every Jeep!
Old 04-21-2010, 06:07 PM
JK Freak

I bought the Drake hold downs after buying their shifter knobs. The knobs are very high quality with great attention to detail. So are the hold downs. It's a shame they got the wrong steel!??!?! They have promised to replace essentially the whole hold down NOT made of first quality materiels but it will take at least a month. In the mean time I keep mine lubed up with teflon gun lube (might try silicone next) which works. I pull the pins out after washing the jeep and alls well (so far). Oh and it's more like $150 with shipping .

I feel I will have my money's worth after the fix just because I will not need so many pairs of underwear laundered after I meet semi's on a 2 lane road.

Last edited by Fathom; 04-21-2010 at 06:09 PM.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:40 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well... I had no idea they had a rusting problem... until they get it fixed, I'll pass and buy something else.

My wife ordered the Bestop lock box for my birthday, so I'm set there... I think I might do the Rugged Ridge floor mats.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:03 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Fathom
... I feel I will have my money's worth after the fix just because I will not need so many pairs of underwear laundered after I meet semi's on a 2 lane road.
Not knocking your decision--I like the look of these, too. But, you can get there a lot more quickly with a couple 11" zip-ties.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Not knocking your decision--I like the look of these, too. But, you can get there a lot more quickly with a couple 11" zip-ties.
Every time I look at my 2.5 year old zip tie fix on my Jeep, I ponder the irony of the tacky mod on a vehicle I have 45k into.

But it works.

Those Drake hold downs are sweet looking for sure.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

''Good one! Now let the modifying begin! Actually you'll really be surprised by just how much your Rubi can do!''

Yeah this is my 5th jeep, so i decided if i was gunna buy another it should have alot of the stuff i couldnt afford to do to my last ones.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:24 PM
JK Newbie

Bringing back and old one but that's just cause I was trying to find out what the Drake hold downs were... I noticed some complaints about the quality of the zip tie fix... I picked up a pack of Stainless zip tires for about 5 bucks, the don't look as cheesy as white plastic ones and I suspect they will last forever. I've been giving them to every guy with a JK that complains about hood lift and still have a ton left.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:16 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by drizit
... the don't look as cheesy as white plastic ones ...
Ew. I'll bet. I went with black.

Old 04-16-2011, 05:00 PM
JK Junkie

Is the rust problem solved?

Quick Reply: I want it... but it's just so impracticle. Drake hood hold downs