Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

If you gave a deposit to a dealer to order from the factory...

Old 08-19-2007, 07:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default If you gave a deposit to a dealer to order from the factory...

was it non-refundable? The current dealer I'm talking with wants $1,000 deposit, non-refundable, for a Wrangler X. Is this normal?
Thanks
Old 08-19-2007, 07:40 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my dealer asked for $500 and i told them i didnt want to leave a deposit and they said ok.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It depends on the options you ordered. If there normal options that they could sell on the lot they wont ask for a deposit, but if you get some crazy options they might ask for a deposit because it will be hard to sell it on the lot.
Thats what my sales guy told me anyway when i orderd my 08.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:56 PM
JK Newbie

I ordered mine, and they asked me for 500.00 he said , if for anyreason the transaction didn't go through, i would be refunded , . i can't imagine why they would want 1,000 and say non refundable, is that supposed to be for their time? and honestly if they told me it was non refunded I would walk. i assume the deposit could go toward the purchase of the vehicle
Old 08-19-2007, 08:50 PM
JK Super Freak

I put down a $1000 deposit on one last December that was supposed to be refundable. When I canceled the order the guy told me it was non-refundable. He wouldn't budge on it, I fought it for a couple of weeks before I finally called my credit card and put a dispute on the charge. Less than a week later I had my refund. The lady in finance at the dealership asked why I didn't call them and request the refund before I did the dispute, that they would have happily refunded my $$$. I guess the sales guy was being a hard ass and not wanting to lose the sale.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kashlak
It depends on the options you ordered. If there normal options that they could sell on the lot they wont ask for a deposit, but if you get some crazy options they might ask for a deposit because it will be hard to sell it on the lot.
Thats what my sales guy told me anyway when i orderd my 08.
The reason I'm considering ordering is because I can't find an X with the options I want at any dealer in CA, OR, ID, NV, AZ or NM. Electronic front sway bar disconnect with power windows doesn't exist in the western states. The dealer said they'd refund if the car came damaged, or something else that I can't remember. I haven't committed yet.

Thanks for the thoughts and advice. You guys are the best.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hoghead
I ordered mine, and they asked me for 500.00 he said , if for anyreason the transaction didn't go through, i would be refunded , . i can't imagine why they would want 1,000 and say non refundable, is that supposed to be for their time? and honestly if they told me it was non refunded I would walk. i assume the deposit could go toward the purchase of the vehicle
Yes, the deposit goes toward the purchase of the Jeep.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:19 PM
JK Newbie

I had to give a 500 dollar deposit, in order to bring mine over from another dealer in the province.

I would try and get him down to 500 on the deposit, and if you are nervous get it in writing that it is refundable. I would even go as far as getting them to estimate a time frame and sign that if you don't get it before that date you have the option of getting the refund, and or finding another jeep to purchase. A good salesman will be more than happy to do this. It's not like the dealers have to give a deposit to DC when they order your jeep.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:26 PM
JK Freak

i ordered my jeep in Los Angeles - no deposit -

california state law does not allow 'non refundable deposits' on cars -
Old 08-19-2007, 11:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

I live in Chicago and ordered my JK in July without a deposit.

Quick Reply: If you gave a deposit to a dealer to order from the factory...