Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

The Importance of changing out stock track bar and lower control arm bolts

Old 11-18-2012, 04:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy JK

Flat on the ground...
Did you check to see if you ovaled out the holes. If it isn't ovaled try losing up the bolts shake the jeep to undo any bind and retighten the bolts.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:43 PM
JK Newbie

I Need Help! I have changed out the front track bar bolts and the lower control arm bolts on the front, torqued them to spec and experienced death wobble this morning!!!
To add to this, he has also checked the torque multiple times and is still getting death wobble. I believe that the lift only has around 3k miles on it and the JK itself also has low miles also. Which holes is he looking at? Is he actually looking at the control arms themselves are is he looking at the actual mounts on the axle?
Old 11-19-2012, 04:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

are you guys changing the bolts in the rear track bar as well?
Old 11-19-2012, 05:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ncrubicon

To add to this, he has also checked the torque multiple times and is still getting death wobble. I believe that the lift only has around 3k miles on it and the JK itself also has low miles also. Which holes is he looking at? Is he actually looking at the control arms themselves are is he looking at the actual mounts on the axle?
If you didnt have death wobble beforeTry putting them back to the stock bolts. If it ain't broke dont fix it. You can tighten them down all you want but if there is movement or no movement at all you are going to have issues
Old 11-19-2012, 06:38 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 2010islander

If you didnt have death wobble beforeTry putting them back to the stock bolts. If it ain't broke dont fix it. You can tighten them down all you want but if there is movement or no movement at all you are going to have issues
I did have death wobble before I changed then but it has happen more since... I haven't had a chance to crawl back under there to see if the holes are ovaled out. I will update once I find out.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:40 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by D-Matt
are you guys changing the bolts in the rear track bar as well?
I will be changing out the rear as well, just haven't had the time.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:24 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No death wobble before changing out bolts and now you have death wobble? That doesnt make much sense. Are you sure everything is tight? There is no reason why the new hardware would promote death wobble.

David
Old 11-20-2012, 04:30 PM
JK Junkie

I did have death wobble before I changed then [sic] but it has happen more since... I haven't had a chance to crawl back under there to see if the holes are ovaled out. I will update once I find out.
Originally Posted by Northridge4x4
No death wobble before changing out bolts and now you have death wobble? That doesnt make much sense. Are you sure everything is tight? There is no reason why the new hardware would promote death wobble.

David
Please note above highlighted text otherwise I'd agree with you David. By now his ball joints are probably shot with all that death wobble going on.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:45 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JK-Rubi

Please note above highlighted text otherwise I'd agree with you David. By now his ball joints are probably shot with all that death wobble going on.
I agree with JK-Rubi... Check the ball joints and the tie rod ends. Death wobble tears up everything under the front end if left too long. This is what mine looked like when i had the same problem...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1633340188.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	392294  
Old 11-26-2012, 04:57 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JK-Rubi

I want to thank everyone for the input thus far. I have been off the grid for the last week so I haven't been able to respond to this thread... I am going to spend some time under the rig this weekend and will report back what I find. Thanks again

Quick Reply: The Importance of changing out stock track bar and lower control arm bolts