Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

The Importance of changing out stock track bar and lower control arm bolts

Old 07-09-2013, 07:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone who has done this in the Denver area who would want to gift me their old bolt/nut setups? I just need one bolt and nut (with tag) for the rear lower control arm front bolt. For some reason, one of mine won't tighten up all the way (perhaps its cross-threaded - I blame my brother as he wrenched on that side while changing out LCAs).

EDIT: Thanks Ryan for the spares. Went ahead and ordered the Northridge kit anyway. Might as well fix it right.

Last edited by jeep_n_co; 07-12-2013 at 07:07 AM. Reason: Got 'em, thanks!
Old 11-18-2013, 04:24 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All, it's strange but it seems that in my JKUR'11 the bushing hole is for metric bolts: I bought the bolts kit last week and I tried the 9/16 on my old track bar frame side and it didn't work. Now I ve a monster TF track bar and I don't know it they work on it, I'll see.
Anyway, also on the other side the 9/16 doesn't work but the kit has only one metric bolt and then a question: is it possible to replace the nut on the axle side which has a "flag" , with a 9/16 normal nut or I need that flag?!

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 11-18-2013, 04:33 AM
JK Junkie

You can replace them with normal nuts but the flag nut will make your life less painful, even if you've got to weld a flag onto the new nut.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
Old 11-18-2013, 06:23 AM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The flagged stock nut is metric. You cannot use it with a 9/16" bolt.

If you upgraded to a TF front trackbar, drill out your frame side bracket holes to 9/16" so you can use the bolts that fit the trackbar bushing better.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Can someone post exactly what I need for the track bar and control arms? I want to fix this ASAP. Excellent thread!!

I found some posts that list the items but I cannot tell if it's for BOTH the track bar and control arms.

Thanks you guys on this forum are amazing.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:55 PM
Forum Tech Advisor

Originally Posted by spartan99
Can someone post exactly what I need for the track bar and control arms? I want to fix this ASAP. Excellent thread!!

I found some posts that list the items but I cannot tell if it's for BOTH the track bar and control arms.

Thanks you guys on this forum are amazing.
For the front trackbar:
  • 2-9/16" fine thread grade 8 bolts, 3" long.
  • grade 8 washers
  • stover lock nuts (not nylon lock nuts)

The front trackbar is the most important. Doing the front and rear lower control arms and the rear trackbar is less critical, but a nice upgrade.

Northridge4x4.com sells a bolt kit for all lower control arms and both front and rear trackbars for about $40. If your total order is $100 or more, free shipping. If your total order is $250 or more and you use the current promotion code, 10% off and free shipping.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:17 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by planman
The flagged stock nut is metric. You cannot use it with a 9/16" bolt.

If you upgraded to a TF front trackbar, drill out your frame side bracket holes to 9/16" so you can use the bolts that fit the trackbar bushing better.
So do you can confirm that in TF tb the bushing hole can run with 9/16"? I'm Asking 'cause I bought a spare bushing from TF that they say works both with TF and OEM tb but at the end it doesn't work with 9/16" bolts…so my doubt

Old 11-19-2013, 03:37 AM
Forum Tech Advisor

Originally Posted by magnum.pi
So do you can confirm that in TF tb the bushing hole can run with 9/16"? I'm Asking 'cause I bought a spare bushing from TF that they say works both with TF and OEM tb but at the end it doesn't work with 9/16" bolts…so my doubt

You bought a Teraflex bushing to run in your stock trackbar?

The only trackbar bushings that I know of that are not 9/16" are the frame side bushing in stock trackbars beginning around 2012.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:02 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by planman

You bought a Teraflex bushing to run in your stock trackbar?

The only trackbar bushings that I know of that are not 9/16" are the frame side bushing in stock trackbars beginning around 2012.
Yes because in the TF description they say they are interchangeable… and what you said is, for me, correct, two bushings, spare and Oem, are the same, I don't know if TF has the same one. On the contrary actually I ve a matric bolt in the inch-bushing hole of my TF and this could explain my trobles!!

So I ve to drill the hole in frame side for sure? I was hoping the job was plug&play whithout additional work…

Old 11-19-2013, 04:08 AM
JK Newbie

ah! My JKUR'11 had originally for sure a metric bushing hole both side in the oem track bar

Quick Reply: The Importance of changing out stock track bar and lower control arm bolts