Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Jeep security

Old 11-01-2008, 09:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep security

Just wondering what people are using for security on their Jeep. I came home to a note on my Jk the other day that said. "Hello, i saw someone trying to steal your Jeep. I asked them what they were doing and they said "i like this jeep, i'm going to take it." when i called the cops they ran off."..."for more info call me at..."
I had it parked with the hard top on, doors locked, nothing inside and glove box open.
Are the JK's easy to steal?

Neil
Old 11-01-2008, 09:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

First off i never leave anything in the jeep I won't miss when it's gone. I do have the tuffy locking glove box. I use it for my gps and sat. radio when I'm out and about. I am thinking about a center console or the overhead unit. Only because I have a cb. Short answer is there's no real security with a jeep. What I can't keep in the glovebox. I have a small day backpack I'll carry with me .
Old 11-01-2008, 10:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

I don't even lock my Jeep. If someone wants to get in, I'd rather they open the door than slash the top.
Plus, I keep nothing of value in the Jeep, and on the odd occasion I have to, I lock it in the center console. I know, not exactly a vault, but if they can't see it, they won't be as likely to come in.

I've parked many nights all over Philly, and have yet to have any issues.
Old 11-01-2008, 10:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have not heard of too many JKs being stolen. There is almost nothing you can do if they come back with a tow truck. I plan on having a ravelco key put in sometime within the year. One word of caution, don't waste your money on a dealer installed security key like I have, it is of little value the way they installed it on mine.
Old 11-01-2008, 10:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by walker
I I plan on having a ravelco key put in sometime within the year. .
thats the way to go I got a price of $400 installed
Old 11-01-2008, 10:12 AM
JK Super Freak

It sounds like Tebo was more worried about someone driving off with his Jeep. Recent vehicles have better anti-theft features, but I'm sure any one of them can be bypassed.

I would also recommend Ravelco, as walker has mentioned. I have one myself. Towing it is the only way of stealing your Jeep if you have a Ravelco. I'm adding a shock sensor (EVS I) to at least set off the alrm if someone starts to tow it. It's not full-proof, but it's getting there...

js.
Old 11-01-2008, 10:13 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by walker
I have not heard of too many JKs being stolen. There is almost nothing you can do if they come back with a tow truck. I plan on having a ravelco key put in sometime within the year. One word of caution, don't waste your money on a dealer installed security key like I have, it is of little value the way they installed it on mine.
X2 on the ravelco . Ya I can say the dealer one is a joke!
Old 11-01-2008, 10:44 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

they dont need a tow truck or a flatbed, it has a transfer case.
Old 11-01-2008, 11:02 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by cufojeep
I don't even lock my Jeep. If someone wants to get in, I'd rather they open the door than slash the top.
Plus, I keep nothing of value in the Jeep, and on the odd occasion I have to, I lock it in the center console. I know, not exactly a vault, but if they can't see it, they won't be as likely to come in.

I've parked many nights all over Philly, and have yet to have any issues.
I'm the same way. Take what you want, but it ain't gonna be much. I have the Besttop Instatrunk in case I need to lock any valuables.
Old 11-01-2008, 11:19 AM
JK Freak

Thumbs up Jeep Security

I recently decided to purchase a new security system, it's called a Glock 40. Check it out

Quick Reply: Jeep security