Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

JEEP or TRUCK?

Old 05-19-2014, 09:59 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My powersroke or jku? Powerstroke does so much more and a lot easier if we're talking highway and mountain passes. Jeep is a toy summit mountains on jeep trails, Moab and so on. More room in my truck did I mention power better mpg. So my jeep is turned into a trailer queen when I go over an hour away. I love my jeep I love my truck will never not have either.

Sent from my fish finder using JK-Forum
Old 05-19-2014, 10:04 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by LordV8R
... the rest of the time I'm not paying for useless space on my vehicle. ...
It doesn't have to be useless space. I've seen some pretty well fixed up Taco's out there. It does depend on what OP wants to do with his new vehicle. For expedition/overland travel, either would fit the bill (though once you've built a Taco for overlanding, you've pretty much given up its general hauling capability).

But, if part of one's definition of the "fun" of owning a Jeep is top off/doors off travel (as well it should be!), then the Jeep wins hands down.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
It doesn't have to be useless space. I've seen some pretty well fixed up Taco's out there. It does depend on what OP wants to do with his new vehicle. For expedition/overland travel, either would fit the bill (though once you've built a Taco for overlanding, you've pretty much given up its general hauling capability).

But, if part of one's definition of the "fun" of owning a Jeep is top off/doors off travel (as well it should be!), then the Jeep wins hands down.

so after pretty much expending as much money in trying to make a taco decent.. (mind you the best toyota pick up is a hilux not a taco) spend the money right and get this...

nuff said..

Click image for larger version

Name:	AEV-Brute-Double-Cab-1.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	554165
Old 05-19-2014, 10:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Agreed, "useless" space becomes pretty helpful with a camper shell or other add-ons. If you need more room, pop the shell off, do your work, and then pop it back on! My father and I did this for years: one REALLY needed it off 2 or 3 times in 5 years.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just bought my first Jeep last August. A 2014 JK (2-door). The previous 10 years, I have had Dodge Dakotas. I loved my Dakotas, for sure. They were very useful. But I love my Jeep WAAAAYYYYY more. I can't haul much, the back seat is small (my son is leaving for the Navy, so no longer an issue) but it is so much more fun.

My Jeep is mine, I've modified it and it is unique. No one has one like it. I never thought I would take it off road much, until I took it off road and now I can't wait to hit the trails again. I have spent a lot of money making my personal changes, and will spend a lot more before I am "done."

Like others have said, rent a trailer if you need to haul something. Or get an older truck you can use when needed. I have missed not being able to haul much. I can do a little with the wife's Grand Cherokee, or I can always borrow a friend's pickup.

There is no experience like going naked - top down, doors off.

My only regret is not buying a Jeep earlier in life so I could have experienced more of the joy that I get out of this one.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:20 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ShutterBug
Just bought my first Jeep last August. A 2014 JK (2-door). The previous 10 years, I have had Dodge Dakotas. I loved my Dakotas, for sure. They were very useful. But I love my Jeep WAAAAYYYYY more. I can't haul much, the back seat is small (my son is leaving for the Navy, so no longer an issue) but it is so much more fun.

My Jeep is mine, I've modified it and it is unique. No one has one like it. I never thought I would take it off road much, until I took it off road and now I can't wait to hit the trails again. I have spent a lot of money making my personal changes, and will spend a lot more before I am "done."

Like others have said, rent a trailer if you need to haul something. Or get an older truck you can use when needed. I have missed not being able to haul much. I can do a little with the wife's Grand Cherokee, or I can always borrow a friend's pickup.

There is no experience like going naked - top down, doors off.

My only regret is not buying a Jeep earlier in life so I could have experienced more of the joy that I get out of this one.
You make some great points, thanks. I know good and well that even if I was to buy the truck instead of the Jeep, the Jeep bug would never leave me alone. I would be driving down the road in a very sweet Tacoma and STILL sigh when I saw that topless, doorless, Jeep drive by. What the Heck, I might as well go for it. You only live once right? And I'm sure as heck not getting any younger.....
Old 05-19-2014, 05:53 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bbqman151
You make some great points, thanks. I know good and well that even if I was to buy the truck instead of the Jeep, the Jeep bug would never leave me alone. I would be driving down the road in a very sweet Tacoma and STILL sigh when I saw that topless, doorless, Jeep drive by. What the Heck, I might as well go for it. You only live once right? And I'm sure as heck not getting any younger.....
last year, there was some tramp acronym, something like YOLO. It quickly morphed into YODO. I believe the new term is LODO. either way, don't pass up something if you know you will later regret it. Most people don't realize their mistake until after the decision and action is done.
Old 05-20-2014, 06:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm looking at the 15' Chevy Colorado Z71 or the 15' Ford F150 FX4, it looks like either one will get way better mpg than a JK and can carry and tow more too. I'd also like to see what the next Wrangler looks like but I'm through with the JKs.
Old 05-20-2014, 06:34 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Locko

so after pretty much expending as much money in trying to make a taco decent.. (mind you the best toyota pick up is a hilux not a taco) spend the money right and get this...

nuff said..

Attachment 554165
If only various custom iterations of Jeep, or even the base Jeep, were as well-supported around the world as Toyotas, we'd see more Jeeps on around-the-world trips.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by navin r
I'm looking at the 15' Chevy Colorado Z71 or the 15' Ford F150 FX4, it looks like either one will get way better mpg than a JK and can carry and tow more too. I'd also like to see what the next Wrangler looks like but I'm through with the JKs.
Yes, but the point of the JK is not to carry or tow junk. It will flat out smoke and then snuff out either of those vehicles on a technical trail, and the JK is now a 7+ year old design.

Quick Reply: JEEP or TRUCK?