Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Jeep Wrangler X Future ?

Old 05-15-2009, 07:29 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by TheBeatenPath
yea and if u want that on a 4dr then its gonna be a nothe 3 or 4 grand on that price
Its actually about 2300 bucks. The X starts at 21,460, and the unlimited X starts at 23,815. Rubicons start at 29,565, and unlimited Rubi's at $32,840.

Interestingly, if you opt for half doors in an unlimited, it deducts $500. try the same stunt on a Rubicon, and it just says "inluded" - no discount.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:53 PM
JK Freak

hey lets just start with something simple!!like a top that dont leak
Old 05-15-2009, 09:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hay Chrysler is only name that means Fiat, Fiat want your input! Just tell them what you want!,they have a focus group in marketing that looks at this stuff ! Under stand its marketing that sets the pricing on all vehicles and options, and the dept heads or getting the axes soon by fiat for messing up current vehicle pricing, so you can bet this new group is going to want to listen to you ,so they can tell the new boss what you the customer want in their new wrangler. Fiat plans to sale
Jeeps. So just go to
http://wwwchryslerllc.com/en/ and tell them what you want!

Last edited by slow2run; 05-15-2009 at 09:43 PM.
Old 05-16-2009, 02:55 AM
JK Jedi

Aside from overall improvements to the JK that are well known and desired, I don't think they need to change anything to the X package specifically. It already can be had well-equipped, much more and it will reduce the attractiveness for the Rubicon package.
Old 05-16-2009, 04:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pearl-drum-man
Aside from overall improvements to the JK that are well known and desired, I don't think they need to change anything to the X package specifically. It already can be had well-equipped, much more and it will reduce the attractiveness for the Rubicon package.
Not for 2009.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Snickterp
Man, either I really missed something when I bought my 09, or jeep really took away from the options you could add in the two door x. There were no upgrades for elockers or swaybar disconnects anywhere when you build your 09. Not even an option for rear LSD on the most basic X B package (what I have). I took the X B because I did not want AC and I wanted the more rugged vinyl seats. I just wish jeep didn't force us to buy rubicons or 4 door X's for lockers and other goodies.
That's a real bummer. And it makes me happier that I bought an '08 instead of waiting; I got the locking D44 rear and electronic sway bar disconnect up front.
Old 05-16-2009, 06:30 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Dubya
Its actually about 2300 bucks. The X starts at 21,460, and the unlimited X starts at 23,815. Rubicons start at 29,565, and unlimited Rubi's at $32,840.

Interestingly, if you opt for half doors in an unlimited, it deducts $500. try the same stunt on a Rubicon, and it just says "inluded" - no discount.
This is all academic because the price tag of the Jeep that 09Rubicon has described can't be determined by subtracting and adding based on the "build your own" tool on Jeep's website. Ultimately that price tag will be whatever the market will bare.

Here is good example of what I mean. Ford first started making the new Mustang GT500 on this new Mustang chassis somewhere around 2006 or so. The GT500 came down the same assembly line as all other Mustangs and Ford was adamant that it couldn't take any longer to build a GT500 than it took to build a base model V6 Mustang. So we know that the labor cost to build both base model and high end GT500 is the same. So the only difference in cost for Ford is the additional raw material involved in making a GT500 which aint much. A little bit for the larger engine and a few suspension components, probably just a couple hundred bucks cost to ford in raw material. But the retail price difference is 20 grand or better between the two cars. Not only that, but when they first came out so many people wanted them that more money was tacked on to that 20 grand for what they called "fair market value".

Now back to our Jeep. From the above example you can see that it doesn't matter what the "build your own" tool says about what an X or a Rubi costs. The prices are all based on what they figure the market will pay for a Jeep. If you put the Jeep that 09 Rubi descrbed on the market it's price will ultimately be determined by the demand for it. If it is wildly popular because of its rugged simplicity and no frills approach then the price will go up regardless of the fact that it actually has less equipment than the Rubicon. You could even end up paying more for it than you would a Rubicon due to popularity. Similarly, if it isn't so popular it could drive the price down, even to the 22 grand range that 90rubicon would like to see. At that point I think you'll find that Jeep will decide that it's a money loser and quit making it.

Last edited by Black08X; 05-16-2009 at 06:33 AM.
Old 05-16-2009, 08:50 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Snickterp
Not for 2009.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:31 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Black08X
You could even end up paying more for it than you would a Rubicon due to popularity. Similarly, if it isn't so popular it could drive the price down, even to the 22 grand range that 90rubicon would like to see. At that point I think you'll find that Jeep will decide that it's a money loser and quit making it.
I have to disagree on this one point (the rest of your argument is sound). Seeing as this could easily come off the same line as the rest of the JK's and would actually take less time to build the price should be lower. Now if it does become a popular seller, becuase it is cheaper to build, the price should in fact go down by a small percentage as you can increase sales with a lower price while pushing more units for an overall higher profit. If it does not become a popular seller then the price should remain fairly unchanged from the initial establishment point. In this case Chrysler is not trying to push 100k plus units to recover R&D cost or break even, they are modifying an existing model delivery method without retooling, in essence there is no initial overhead expense beyond marketing to get a product such as this to the dealer.

Now in argument to my own argument if Chrysler were to decide to make this a limited run vehicle for whatever reason (as ford did with the KR500) that would infact drive the price up for the simple rarity of the vehicle. In the end Chrysler could and would make a profit selling such a vehicle (with no changes from current line-up) mentioned in the 22-23k range. The prinicple of economics and supply and demand will only serve to drive that price higher.

Interesting side note. If you were to build a JK Rubicon (2dr) from the Chrysler parts catalouge it would cost you over 100K, While my JK Rubicon cost me 28,180 to purchase, this is before dealer markup, so someone now tell me why Chrysler is going bankrupt??????
Old 05-16-2009, 10:11 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 09rubicon
I have to disagree on this one point (the rest of your argument is sound). Seeing as this could easily come off the same line as the rest of the JK's and would actually take less time to build the price should be lower.
It "should" be lower but again remember the old "fair market value trick". I was basing my "higher price than a rubicon" argument on the idea that Jeep would introduce this Jeep of yours in limited numbers, at least initially. For the sake of conversation, lets call your Jeep idea "the stripper". So ok, Jeep builds the stripper but there's no way of knowing how popular it will really be so they aren't going to build a lot of units and be stuck with them if it's a flop. Only low and behold it's not a flop, it's wildly popular and the Jeep dealers are selling them faster than they can get them. Hence, "fair market value". The dealer is going to tack money to the price tag and yes that could drive up past Rubicon range, albeit not for long because pretty quickly people would say "Why would I buy the stripper when I can get a Rubi for less." But for a brief time it could go that high.

PS, the other reason the stripper will never be built is because it takes sales away from the Rubicon. Why would anyone buy a rubi if you can get the stripper for a couple / three grand less? Put an aftermarket carpet and a stereo in there for a few hundred dollars and presto, Rubicon on the cheap. It wouldn't take Jeep long to say f""" this, no more strippers.

Last edited by Black08X; 05-16-2009 at 10:17 AM.

Quick Reply: Jeep Wrangler X Future ?